Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

The village of Brompton lies one and a half miles to the north of Northallerton. Like Northallerton it was originally an Anglo-Saxon settlement and was listed in the Domesday Book under the land belonging to the Bishop of Durham. In the 10th and early 11th centuries the village was under Anglo-Danish occupation as is evidenced by the rare 'hogback' sculptures of that period, which were discovered embedded in the Church fabric during extensive restoration in 1868.

Brompton owes its existence to the Willow Beek which flows through the village and into Northallerton to join eventually with the river Wiske. lts course has determined the development of the settlement; its water has provided power for the linen mills and has been the means of recreationa1 pursuits, including boating and skating in due season. The village developed historically into two distinctive areas, each with its own character. Nearest to Northallerton is High End, which is centred on the Church and its triangular Green. At its northern end a crossroad was formed by the Northallerton and Bullamoor to Lazenby roads. Beyend this and over a slight ridge of land, known as Cockpit Hill, lies the second area,

Water End, which from Danish derived place names, associated with this part of the village, probably represents the Danish settlement in Brompton. Water End is characterised by the wide Green on each side of the Willow Beek, bordered by rows of cottages. In both areas the medieval 'croft and toft' layout eau still be traeed despite subsequent centuries of housing development which has superseded this pattern of land holding.

The period covered by the pictures, was the height of the linen manufacturing industry in the village. Linen had been produced in the home since the early 18th century, but this was organised on a commercial basis using the 'putting out' system by several entrepreneurs of which John Wilford and John Pattison were the most enterprising. It was they who, with other local business interests, agitated for the extension of a railway line which would link Brompton with the ports at Teesside and the textile centre of Leeds. Over two decades of dispute were to pass until eventually their persistenee lead to the opening of the railway branch line in 1854. Now that the cheap transportation of cheap coal and raw flax was established, the linen industry could develop into a factory

systern with steam powered machines, using water from the Beek. This development, coming late as it did, meant that the industry grew on steady foundations in the village, long after speculative investment and the post Napoleonie Wars had seen the decline of the industry in other areas.

The linen industry brought wealth to the village and not just to the mill owners who occupied the larger houses. From the 1800's onwards new workers cottages were built around High End Green and at Water End; money was raised to restare the Church and the Methodist Chape1s; a Mechanics Institute was founded; football and cricket teams were formed together with a bowls and tennis club. The village sported an Orchestra and a Brass Band and other recreationa1 pursuits were met by the Allotment Society, Temperanee meetings and dancing classes, held in the Oddfellows Hall which was purchased by Mr. Todd of Mill Hili in the 1930's and presented to the village to be used as a Village Hall. The village, with a population of about 1,700, supported six public houses and eighteen shops. Trades directories over this period show the introduetion of new trades like bicycle, and later, car repairing. In the early part of this century a dozen or so of the more

prominent Brompton residents became subscribers to the telephone system. Motor cars and telegraph poles begin to feature in pictures taken in the latter part of the period covered.

For a brief period from the beginning of the century until the Great War of 1914-1918, the village attracted day trippers from Teesside during the Summer months. The carnival and sports in early June was a great attraction and still is. For severa1 seasons the Beek at Water End was dammed to farm a boating lake, where boats could be hired at ld. and 2d. per hour. One enterprising shopkeeper commissioned souvenir china depicting a Brompton 'Coat of Arms' for sale to the visitors who arrived by train from industrial Midd1esbrough, Stockton and Darlington.

The Great War brought an end to these activities. The development of man-made fibres produced a decline in the linen industry and bath of the village factories closed in the early 1960's. However, this boom period, depicted in the pictures, has left many tangible marks upon the physica1 appearance and character of the village.

58. In 1908 the road which links Northallerton to Brompton was unmetalled with only the Vicarage and the Wesley Manse beside it until the village centre was reached. To the left were allotment plots whilst to the right were the grounds of Mili Hili House, built by Mr. Herbert Wilford, part of which were given to the village by a subsequent owner, to be used as a Reereation Ground. The Chureh tower and the ehimney of the Wilford Mili can be seen to the left. The road leads direetly onto High End Green and the crossroads beyend.

59. Northallerton Raad in 1930 is by then surfaced with pavements on bath sides at this spot by the Church Hall. This building with its little steeple was built in 1875, the porch added in 1922. Here the Church Sunday School met and in the winter months church services were held because its cast iron coal burning stove gave a warmth and comfort which the unheated Church could not provide.

60. The Northallerton Road climbs up the hill from the High End with the Wesley Manse at the crown, The cottages to the left date from the late 18th century and beyend the row the little steeple on the Church Hall eau be seen above the roofs, The row of houses to the right, with the corner shop, and known as Primrose Terrace, were built in the 1870┬Ěs. The novelty of a man with a camera attracted the curious who were only too willing to pose, as these children did in 1924.

61. The imposing house seen in 1914 to the right of the picture stands on the High Green and dates from the mid-ISth century. For a few years in the 1840's it housed the first vicar of the Parish, Reverend John Middleton, until a vicarage was built on Northallerton Road. By this house were two cottages used to provide shelter for cattle drovers who passed through the village driving beasts from the Border regions to the markets of the industrial North and Midlands. The pinfold where the cattle were kept for the night was a feneed off area of the Green behind the house. A village loek up, built in 1825, adjoined the cottages and the Pinfold.

62. Until 1912 the Old Tolbooth stood in the centre of the Brompton crossroads. In its latter days part of it housed a 'fish and chip' shop whilst the remainder was rented to Messrs. Walker who stored their coal wagons there. The building was a foeal point; a meeting place for gossip and where children played ball games against its walls. It was purchased by Mr. Claude Wilford for !200 and immediately demolished beeause he regarded it as an obstruction to the new 'motor' traffic which was becoming increasingly popular. This area of the village, seen here in 1910, is still called 'Shop End' by the inhabitants.

_.-

63. This picture, taken in 1919, shows Church Green as seen from the crossroads, the view opened up by the removal of the Tollbooth in 1912. The cottages facing onto the Green reflect the medieval plan of the village. The view is softened and enhanced by the maturing trees around the Green, mainly Horse Chestnuts, which are the centre of attention of the children during the 'conker' season in the Autumn.

64. In 1906 there were eighteen shops in Brornpton, not inc1uding the Post Office and several 'fish and chip' shops. Walker and Son ran a general store and were also coal merchants. At weekends and on holidays the horse-drawn coal wagons were cleaned and used to carry passengers on excursions to the moors. From this developed Walker's motor coach business, which remained in family hands until recently, Fawcett's grocery shop can be seen further along the row. lts owner commissioned souvenir china with a Brornpton 'Coat of Arms' on it, which was sold to dav-trippers who visited before the Great War.

65. The road over Cockpit Hilllinks the High Green with Water End and has altered Iitt1e since this 1906 picture. The corner by the Three Horse Shoes public house made a good meeting place for the men and boys of the village. Next to it is the then recent1y opened Co-operative Society shop, whilst on the crown of the hill stands the Oddfellows Hall, the scene of many village socials. The chimney in the distance towers above Sherwood's oom mill, now converred into houses.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek