Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
:   Yorkshire, North
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2290-0
:   96
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

66. The Willow 'Beek flows through the village and is the central feature of the area known as Water End. This 1908 picture shows the Ford and lower footbridge. In 1912 Claude Wilford financed the building of a road bridge at this spot which would enable hint to drive his motor car to his house without the need to drive through the ford. MI. Wilford, a mill owner and a prominent 1000 figure, was the first car owner in the village.

67. An almost continuous row of cottages lines the eastern side of the Willow Beek at Water End, pictured here in 1912. When the village was enclosed in the 18th century, the existing tenants at Water End were given grazing rights on the green's alongside the Willow Beek, and in the earIy part of the 20th century, most cottagers kept geese which were allowed to wander freely. In the early days of the linen industry in the village, some cottagers built loom sheds on the long strips of land behind their cottages, whilst others had hand Iooms in the front rooms of their homes.

68. Before the First World War, the industrial workers of Middlesbrough and Stockton would travel by train for a day trip to Brompton, in the Summer months. The Willow Beek at Water End would be dammed to create a boating lake, and rowing boats could be hired by the hour. A familiar sight, pictured here in 1914, are a flock of geese together with two of the rowing boats which were destined to be broken up for fuel during the Great War. One Summer a Circus came to Water End and elephants grazed by the Willow Beck.

Brompion ├╗burch.

69. A Church existed in the village in Saxon times, but was rebuilt in sandstone and evolved into its present plan between the 12th and 15th centuries. In 1868 extensive restoration was carried out, during which the 'Hogback' sculptures, dating from the Viking oceupation, were discovered in the walls of the Chancel, together with fragments of Saxon crosses, which are now disp1ayed in the Church, The exterior was refaced in 1868, but still the Church presents a timeless quality as the focal point of the Church Green, as it does here in 1905.

70. This interior picture of the Church, taken in 1925, shows the results of the 1868 restoration, which swept away the galleries and box pews of an earlier fashion and replaced them with a Victorian expression of Church decoration, the stained glass, the pitch pine pews, and pulpit, the stone font and the Biblical texts, More recent redecoration has brought about alterations to the Sanctuary and removed the Biblical texts, but the basic details ean still be easily identified today,

71. The large building seen to the left of High Green in 1915 was the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, built in 1817 and resto red in 1878. John Wesley preached many times at Northallerton and Osmotherley, and one of the first Chape1 Trustees was the linen manufacturer John Wilford. The Chape1 is now the Scout headquarters. In 1893 the Chapel Sunday School was built and can be seen in the distance. The large houses on either side of the Chapel were the homes of two mernbers of the Yeoman family of linen manufacturers, who inherited the Pattison Mill.

72. The Primitive Methodist Chape1, now a private house, was erected on Cockpit Hili, in 1821. lts minister in 1906, Reverend G.J. Lane, is pictured here with chapel officials. After the Primitive and Wes1eyan Methodists amalgamated in 1934, the former Wesleyan Sunday School was used as the Methodist Chapel and for many years afterwards this building was used as a Sunday School.

73. A school existed in the village since 1840. This was taken over as a Board school under the 1870 Education Act and was later enlarged to become the building seen in this postcard of 1906. The building served the educational needs of the village at a Primary level until 1974, when it was demolished and replaced with a modern open plan building with a nursery unit to accommodate children from three and a half years upwards. Village children receive their Secondary education at the two-tiered comprehensive school in Northallerton.

74. These pupils in class two of Brompton School, with their teacher Mrs. Jane Brown, faced the camera in 1890. Their formal education ended at twelve years and comprised a basic grounding in reading, writing and arithmetic, with religieus instruction and needlework as the only extra's. However, the school prided itse1f on its singing and frequently won first prize in the local School Choral Festival held in Northallerton. One or two children in the senior year managed to gain scholarships to the Grammar School in Northallerton and thus extended their formal education,

75. This uniformed and bemedalled gentleman is P.C. George Tiffany, the Brompton Village 'Bobby', pictured in 1912, outside his house at Water End. He was responsible for policing the village, travelling over his Parish beat on his bicycle in the days when community policing was the pattern of law reinforcement in the country. A stern word, or a timely 'clip round the ear' from him was often all that was needed to pull wrongdoer's into line and as such his word and authority was well respect ed.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek