Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Colin Narromore and Patricia Turner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2290-0
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

76. In 1846 an Act of Parliament authorised the building of the Yarm branch of the Leeds and Thirsk Railway Company to link Leeds with Teesside after years of discussion between the local business interest who supported it, and the landed interests who did not. Building started in 1852, mainly undertaken by Irish navies and by the time the line opened on May 15th, 1854, the original Company had been taken over by the North Eastern Railway. For many years earlier this century the Sunday Schools would join together and hire a train to take scholars and parents for a day excursion to the sea at Redcar. The railway station, pictured in 1922, was closed to passenger transport in the 1960's.

77. The manufacture of linen began in the village in the 1750's and for over a century was carried out by weavers working at home on hand Iooms which dominated the main room in the cottages. A few weavers continued to work at home up to the early years of this century. This picture, taken in 1912, shows a row of weavers cottages by the Church yard, built in the typical architecture of artisans houses in the area, and dating from the 1750's.

78. The two linen factories were built in the late 1850's, when the opening of the railway line through the village made the transportation of eoal and raw flax mueh cheaper. Steam power 100ms were driven by water drawn from the Willow Beek whieh flows beneath the engine room of the Pattison Yeoman Mill, shown in this picture of 1904. Beyend is the Wilford Mill, built close to the eoalyard. Both Mills were closed in the early 1960's, when the demand for linen was superseded by the cheaper man-made fabries.

79. In this group photograph of 1888, Mr. Claude Wilford poses with a foreman, a mechanic and the female loom minders and bobbin winders at his factory. Children left school at twelve years of age and for the girls the mill provided alternative employment to dornestic service or work on the land. After marriage and child hearing many women returned to the mill, especially in the peak period of production from 1890-1914.

80. Brompton mills produced three types of linen cloth, sheeting, huckaback towelling and heavy suiting, The latter provided tropical uniforms for the Army in India and was also exported to South America. These ladies, pictured in the weaving shop in 1910, are loom minders; behind them are racks of bobbins to replace those in use on the looms. The men set up the looms supervised the various departments and maintained the machines. The werking day started at 6.00 a.m. and ended at 5.00 p.m. with breaks for breakfast and lunch, the beginning and end of each break signalled by a distinctive hooter or klaxon, The weavingshop was a noisy place of work, but the weavers were almost the 'aristocracy' of the textile industry . FIOm left to right: Minnie Mitchinson, Polly Wright, Hilda Parker, Meg Blackburn, Ada Brown, Mrs. Coltman and George Robinson.

81. Each bale of Iinen was inspected before it was dispatched. These workers, pietured in 1910, had a high standard to maintain. Brompton Iinen was represented at the Great Exhibition and the Paris Exhibition and won medals on each occasion. The linen industry absorbed most of the working population apart from those working in agriculture and it brought a certain degree of wealth and expansion to the village.

82. All the large; houses in the village were built by members of the two mill owning families, between 1750 and the early twentieth century: Manor House, Cedar Mount, Mill Hill and The Close. John Pattison Yeoman lived in the Close and it is photographed here in 1930. On its lawn the Northallerton Operatie Society gave a performance of H.M.S. Pinafore in the 1920's. The Yeoman family were prominent in loeal affairs as Justices of the Peace, school govemors, church wardens and patrons of the arts. The house is now a children's home.

83. Cedar Mount at Water End, pictured in 1905, was the home of Claude Wllford, great-grandson of the founder of the family linen business. Built in the late 18th century in local materials, the house reflects the solid middle class values of the entrepeneur in the early Industrial Revolution, Claude Wilford was the last of the family to be involved in the business and it was only a few years after his death that linen production in the village ceased.

84. The top of the Church Tower provides a good vantage point for viewing the children's Whitsuntide Sports on Church Green as this 1913 picture shows. The Brompton carnival and sports has altered in character to suit changes in taste and fashion, but still includes the fancy dress procession and children's sports. Nowadays a fair, with thrilling rides and sideshows, is held on the spot where these children of an earlier generation gathered together for races and sports.

85. The origins of the Whitsuntide Sports in Brompton are way beyond the memory of even the oldest inhabitants. The carnival procession is a feature which still draws large crowds of people, This carnival float of 1928, a flat deck cart pulled by a magnificantly bedecked shire horse, used everyday on more mundane tasks on the farm, reflects apatriotic theme of the time and won the Masterman Cottage Challenge Cup, donated at the beginning of the century by Mrs. C.M. Masterman, the wife of a prominent landowner, which is still presented to the best float in the carnivai each year.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek