Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 3

Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 3

Auteur
:   Michael Riordan
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5940-1
Pagina's
:   96
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Northallerton in old picture postcards volume 3'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

47. BarcJays Bank, Northallerton is featured on this postcard in 1930 with its door on the right in those days and the curtains on the two upper floors indicating th at the Manager's residence was above the Bank. The building was erected around 1900 when Barclays took over the business from the Backhouse Company and the owner of the photograph, Arthur Leng of Shrewsbury, who was a Junior Clerk in the Bank in the early 1930s, remernbers it being struck by lightning to the discomforture of all. Noticeable too are the car - an up market limousine of the age, and the iron railings flanking the bank which were taken down in 1940 for warweapons,

48. In 1930 and 1931 the Northallerron Girts' Friendly Society won the competitive York Diocesan Shield and here they are seen in 1930 with their trophy grouped around the front door of the Vicarage, There we re several very thriving young people's groups at the time in the town, in particular the Girl Guides, Boy Scouts and Young Men's Mutual Improvement Society.

49. On Whit-Monday (June) 1930 the Northallerton and Gateshead Sunday Schools Teachers had a most enjoyable gathering and are here pictured at the rear of Northallerton Vicarage, This was very prophetie because when war broke out in 1939 the Gateshead primary school-children came to NorthalJerton as 'evacuees' in case of the aerial bombing of their town. Secondary pupils of Bede School Sunderland and bath primary and secondary teachers also were billeted on the town. Obviously for a time a large upheava! taak pIace in the junior ranks, but as many of the students returned to the North East things settIed down and some of the 'evacuees' and teachers remained permanently in Northallerton.

50. A fine aerial shot in 1930 shows the North Riding County Hall's South Wing in the process of erection to parallel the North Wing built in 1916. both as extensions ofthe west facing original BrierJey building. The latter had its foundation stone laid on 29th July 1903 by John Hutton MP and Chairman of thc North Riding County Council, was completed and occupied in 1905 and officially opened in January 1906. Across Racecourse Lane the North Riding Registry of Deeds gleams in its newness (1929), and the other ma in feature is the Northallerton Cricket Club Field where the ere ase markings of the wickets are c1early seen, The club played here from 1886 to 1948. This was a wonderful sward of soft springy grass on which all the local cricketers pJayed and it was honoured by the visits of the full Yorkshire County Cricket Club XI which 'Iaiked' here in 1902. 1903 and 1904. (Photograph: North Yorkshirc County Records Office EF/16.)

51. When heavy rains eame to Northallerton it often flooded - in the eentre of the town via the waters of Sun Beek and simultaneousJy Willow Beek would f100d the North End, whieh is seen here in 1931 when the swollen waters are ûooding between the corn mill on the east ofthe raad and the LNER Goods Station to the west. Of additional interest are the era's vintage of vehicles and the 'Magnct sign whîch is that ofthe 'Railway Hotel', another of Northallerton's 'lost pubs'.

52. The last study showed floods at the North End and in 1931 simultaneously the Sun Beek flooded over the High Street to the Town Hall. With the stream running openly down Friarage Street and Bullamoor Raad, Sun Beek flooded as it had done for years around the National School, down Friarage Street and into the High Street. It seemed to be even worse in the old days - on one occasion a man was only saved from drowning by prompt onlookers when he walked obliviously out of the 'Mason's Arms' into fast swirling flood water. When Sun Beek was culverted underground the ftoods eeased. Not that this pleased everyone, for succeeding generations of National School children had loved 'splodging' in the flood-waters and entertained fond hopes that the ftoods may increase and temporarily close the school!

53. John W. Clapham came to Northallerton as an apprentice draper in the 1880s, went off to America to gain experience and then returned to NorthaJlerton to own his own shop early in the 1900s. By 1932 this postcard indicates the size to which his staff had grown and his business had prospered. It was the seventh successive Clapham's Annual Staff Dance held at the Town Hall. Northallerton on 11th February 1932. Eventually Claphams merged with Uptons which became the shop name and finaJly Boyes Stores took over and now operates on the former C1apham's site on the east si de of the High Street north and adjacent to the 'Golden Lion'.

54. On 11 th October 1877 the Northallerton Cottage Hospital opened at 'Vine House' so called because it had once sported the largest vi ne in Europe. It filled a vital role in the town and in 1905 Henry Rutson, whose attention had been drawn to the hospital by his own confinement there with failing eycsight, bought Vine House and then the building adjacent north to the hospital which was renamed the Rutson Hospital, In 1932 a new wing was added to the Rutson to which this postcard refers, thus doubling its patientcapacity. By the end of the Second World War it had established a high reputation for its professional conduct, dedicated patient care and friendly atmosphere setting an example which the Friarage Hospital was to follow and emulate.

55. On the 2nd July 1933, Arthur Rodgers ofthe Teesside Raad Club taak part in the GomersalJ 100 miles Time Trial for cyclists from and to Wetherby via Northallerton. Here he is seen making the 72 miles turn at the Harewood Lane milestone on Boroughbridge Raad. He is thirty-five miles from his home town of West Hartlepaal at Romanby but by a great coincidence he came ta live in Ramanby in 1955 where he has remained sin ce, still agily riding his cycle. Of interest is the background where the house 'Cariaco' can he seen, the home of Mr. and Mrs. Jack Rider. lt is the only house at th at time on the west side of Boraughbridge Raad or indeed in sight, cantrasting strongly with the built-up aspect of the area now.

56. Northallerton Bowling Club was initiated in April 1900 at the cycling track behind the 'Railway Inn' at the North End of Northallerton by agroup of enthusiasts led by George Lewis, the joint founder of Lewis and Coopers. Around 1910the Club moved to the South End of Northallerton to a site abutting Thirsk Raad and Hatfield Raad, which was serene, sequestered, high hedged and emerald green. The club has never looked back. In this scene a 1933 foursome are: standing left to right William Barker (draper) and Joseph Porter (jeweller ); and squatting left to right Jim Cowling (saddler) and Len Bennett (youngest club member). William Barker was born in 1869 and came to Northallerton as an apprentice draper when he was fourteen, lodging with his employer John Oxendale until after 1891 by which time he was a Draper's Assistant. Oxendale's had been founded in 1875 and early in the twentieth century he became a partner in Oxendale and Barker's before finally owning the drapery store. His enterprise th us laid the foundation of 'Barkers of Northallerton' with its wide reputation.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek