Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.Lec. Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2983-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ockbrook in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Proprietorship of the Queen's Head changed hands no fewer than ten times between 1880 and 1921, one of the short-stay victua1lers being Frank Gresley the water colour artist. While he was here his two artist sons Harold and Cuthbert attended the village school. The three tiny cottages which were attached to its lower end we re one up and one down affairs with ladder access between. Each had a little square of garden in land alongside, the remains of one of which still lie behind the telephone box. The field on which cricket is now played has belonged to the public house since Chevin times and was long used for grazing. The Chevins and their successors were grow-your-own-meat butchers, as well as publicans, and the local children had to get used to the idea that each little beast they befriended beside the roadside hedge, while waiting for daddy, had a due date for slaughter.

20. Rose Cottage, the house on the right, was the horne of Agnes Summers for some forty years, and when widowed towards the end of the century she set up a private school there which she ran with the help of her daughter. Across the way is Harrisons' the grocers and the front of the Co-operative Seciety's premises can be glimpsed just beyond. The Society started their Ockbrook operations in a small way in 1902, actually preceding Christopher Harrison as tenants in what was known as Mary Mee's shop, but in 1914 they moved up the street into their own purpose-built block, which included the shop, store-rooms and three small staff dwellings. On the other side of the road opposite Harrisons' was the little square yard of William Potter the butcher, where the childrens' bovine friends were expeditiously despatched, and where a butchers shop has stood ever since,

~ . (

"

21. SmaIl private schools of the Agnes type were common in late Victorian years, even in a place like Ockbrook, which had had the benefit of bath the fine Moravian boarding schools and good National day schools for most of the century. They catered for the children of the more prosperous farmers, and also for those of the fairly well-to-do residents whose work was in Derby or Nottingham but who chose to live in the country. Many were the kind of folk who could not perhaps afford the boarding school fees for their largish families, yet distanced themselves from those they openly referred to as 'the village people", The school pictured here was in Church Street and run by two of the daughters of John Alfred Warwick, from about 1885. It was sa successful that when they left Ockbrook in 1896 they found it profitable to continue with the school for many years in Derby.

22. At the Flood Street end of Bakehouse Lane on the right-hand side, where now the road has been widened, there stood a little detached shop which before World War One was the bakehouse of Frederick Blood. He would willingly bake your home-made bread alongside his own, which he distributed daily by pony and trap. But this small enterprise did not give the raad its name, which came from a long lost Moravian bakehouse at its top end. Apart from Mee's Cottages, that is the cottage row behind Harrison's shop, the on1y houses then in the lane were those now called Tulip Tree House, The Orchard and Elm Cottage. The lodge at the top of the lane polieed the drive to the Swallows Rest, now called The Grange, and off to the left among the trees lay The Mount.

23. The Mount was probably built for William Holly, a Long Eaton pawnbroker, clothier and silversmith, and he lived there until the early 1900's, when it was taken over by Mrs. Annie Eking. She was the daughter of the 'squire', EdwardElsey of Hopwell Hall, and patronised the villagers in the nicest possible way. She would direct John Orchard the shopkeeper to send boxes of groceries to down-at-heel local families in times of stress, 'poor dears, I don't know how they manage', and lucky were the children who happened to be in the shop when she appeared, dispensing goodies to every toddIer in sight; 'you'll be the ruin of me!' Then, at her Conservative garden party, she would gladly give an apple and a bag of sweets to the innocent child of a fearless Primrose League opponent, 'Labour wouldn't do that for you, tell your father.'

BORROWOOD GCX-.F LINKS

24. This picture may have been labelled with a touch of levity, Ockbrook being just about as far from a sandy seashore as possible, but the nine-hole golf course, which stretched down from the Muddy Lane footpath to beyond the by-pass, was no joke. The ducks bear evidence of a water hazard, and not only were there numerous hedgerows, but also no less than two artificial bunkers. The tenth or nineteenth was a large pavillon set on the windy hillside, and in those carefree Edwardian days the venture could scarcely fail, with a lively young membership and the ebullient Mrs. Annie Eking as the President. lt is fortunate that the footpath to Spondon via Borrow Wood never became a highway, so that this broad strip of farmland has continued to safeguard the mutual boundary of the two parishes, with nothing but a temporary golf course ever suggesting a fusion.

25. The Reverend William MaIlalieu, a cousin of the Reverend James Mallalieu, Principal of the Moravian Boys School, had married into the wealthy Brook-Taylor family, and bis wife Harriet had the 'Swallows Rest' built in 1868 for bis retirement home, but unfortunately he died before taking up residence. The doorways were made especially wide for the passage of the wheelchair of his son, who was crippled by being dropped as an infant. But the disabled child, another William, grew up to be a very able man, and at the turn of the century was second to none in importance in Ockbrook. The house was vacated by the Mallalieus after the war and from 1920 to 1923 was the home of Viscount Lord Petersham, heir to the Earl of Harrington, and the present Earl was born there.

26. The lecture hall was built in 1867 as a boys Sunday School on the foundations of the New Inn brew house, and the extension beyond in 1880 for the girls. In 1914 it became a Red Cross Auxiliary Hospital designated to take wounded Belgian soldiers, and the formidable fom-square matron who was sent up from London to take charge was allegedly a Belgian. She quickly organised the locals and soon all was ship-shape, but no cu stomers arrived. Then she was suddenly recalled to London, returned in tears and said she had been dismissed. Spy fever was abroad at the time, and the discovery that she had worked in Germany before the dogs of war were loosed, set misehief afoot. Her swarthy and sornewhat surly replacernent, christened Black Maria by the disrespectful V.A.D. nurses, was British, and in the event no Belgian soldiers came to Ockbrook.

27. Herewith the staff of the hospital posed outside the entrance to Greenside in 1916, with, presumably, B.M. centre stage. The lady on her right is Miss Mabel Nelson, whose architect father designed Swallows Rest and married a cousin of William Mal1alieu. She lived in the big house as a child and later at Hillside, and was a life-long friend of the village. She is remembered among other things as Commandant of the hospital, instigator of the Ockbrook Womens Institute, organiser of the Ockbrook Handbell Ringers and writer on Ockbrook history and current affairs until she. died at the age of 80 in 1968. It is said that she, bless her, was largely instrumental in persuading the local authorities not to build their houses on the east side of the Ridings, so that we can all enjoy the view.

28. The Moravians built Greenside as the New Inn in 1792 to house their industrious missionaries who took short rests between one turn of duty and the next, but later, as the Ockbrook Settlement became more important, it was also much used to accommodate the prominent visitors summoned to headquarters and to provide an overnight stopping place for those passing through. It was enlarged at the expense of a Moravian benefactor from the south, one Mrs. Bates, who also paid for the building of Broadstairs, but never lived in it. Round about 1845 a small corner of Greenside was used to make Ockbrook's first post office; one can see the door at the top of the steps on the roadside which gave entry.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek