Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.Lec. Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2983-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ockbrook in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Across the foreground of this 1840 sketch lies the paved path which led down from the Settlement to the shop, and which perhaps gave the name of Shopstones to the area. The field in front of the Settlement chapel was the nearest thing Ockbrook had to a village green and was the scene of many minor festivities over the years. lt was called Oak Tree Close, after the centuries-old tree depicted in the corner. The field below was called The Shop Close, and both are still open spaces and little changed, but that pride of the place, the mighty oak, was taken down in 1878. It can be seen that Mrs. Bates' Broadstairs, the house behind The Manse, had quite an open aspect when built, which was largely closed down by later building.

30. This shop was built by the Moravians for the benefit of the congregation in 1768 at a cost of t154, and was operated under 'the strictest rules for honest trading, best quality goods, and reasonable prices' for 160 years. For the last thirty of these years it was presided over by the much-loved John Orchard, who sold groceries, draperies, haberdashery and exotic medicaments such as ipecachuanha. The post office had also moved down from Greenside, and as postmaster John had to supervise the village's only telephone and the collection and delivery of Ockbrook's mail from and to Borrowash. He was the envy of the local boys in the early days, because for these daily journies he used a fine bicycle fitted with pneumatic tyres, no less. When he died in 1927 the shop closed its door to customers, and accommodation was found for the post office down in Church Street. The ;[154 building became a private house, and as such was recently offered for sale at ;[55,000.

31. Founding father of the Ockbrook Hudstons was William, who came here from Beesten as a boy in 1830 to be a shoernaker's apprentice at 1/- per week. In spite of his youth and modest income he quickly won the hand of the blacksmith's foutteen year old daughter Jane who lived opposite in Church Street, and, no doubt with the good rnan's help, they set up a teenage horne in Ivy Bank, where they dwelt for the rest of their lives. They squeezed seven children into the little house and took a lodger for good measure, This is a picture of their eldest son James, who was Ockbrook's postman, and who for fifty years, seven days a week, trudged the length and breadth of the parish, In his spare time he was a shoemaker like his father, but went one better in the matter of offspring, with Charles, Alfred, Janetta, Sabina, Fanny, Baxter, Jim and Polly.

32. J ames had become a staunch Moravian, and was weU thought of by the influential Mallalieu's, so that he was able to house his family in the first of these four cottages at Shopstones. His third son Baxter, who could scarcely go wrong with a name like that, was singled out to be trained as a plumber, which at the turn of the century meant being skilled in most matters dornesticmechanical, and indeed, some domestic-electrical, for the bigger houses were sporting their electric bells, and even electric lighting, long before the mains cables reached the village. Baxter, who Iived next door but one below bis father's house, also had a generous family, so once again the Hudston order of the bath in front of the fire had to be introduced, girls first, clean boys second, and dirty boys last.

33. Before the Moravians built their shop and cottages here, the Shopstones area was known as the Grange, or Grange Yard, names which may date from the time when most of the parish was owned by the abbotts of Dale. Right up until early this century quite a sizeable piece of the parish of Dale Abbey lay wholly within the parish of Ockbrook, including Little Hey Grange and Little London farms. The Grange cottages were demolished at a time when the potential for the rehabilition of such places was not recognised hereabcuts. The owner had to pay fuIl rates for dwellings in which nobody wanted to live and they were therefore a financialliability, from which he could escape only by knocking thern down.

34. After the war a piece of land at the bottom of Shop Close was allocated to the 1st Ockbrook Company of Girl Guides, and here they built their substantial hut. This group was photographed in April 1923, and for those who might be interested the names inscribed on the back of the picture are as follows: Back row F. Smith, J. Robinson, C. Ross, V. Aubrey, M. Goodall, C. Winn, E. KIesel, V. Pegg, M. Prince, J. Lee, H. Crowther, Middle J. Pegg, B. Birkinshaw, E. Birtil!, D. Smith, K. Kitchener, D. Thomas, M. Hotching, T. Smith, M. Elwell and M. Robinson. Front row C. Homer, C. Morley, M. Thomas, M. Webster, J. Hinton, M. Bentley, D. Naylor, C. Foster, W. Stevens, D. Moult, and M. Alger. The Guide Mistress on the right is Miss Jessica Orr, who soon after became Headmistress of the Moravian Girls School, and that on the left possibly Miss Henshaw who succeeded her as Captain.

Ockbrook.

}Yforavicn Se!demen;

35. The walled kitchen garden in the foreground marks the site of the Single Brethrens House. This housed the unmarried brothers and kept them at a safe distance from their Single Sisters, who had accommodation at the extreme far end of the main frontage block, but the building had a cornparatively short life and was 'improved away' in 1867. The fine three story edifice behind it was built in 1822 as a boys boarding school, and was, as seen in the picture, originally detached. The house on its right-hand side was added in 1908 as accommodation for the headmaster, but it did not serve that purpose for long, for in 1915 Ockbrook's Moravian Boys School was discontinu ed.

36. Here we have the Principal of the school, James Montgomery Mallalieu with his 1893 cricket team, grouped around the sundial which is said to have once graced Dale Abbey. The eleven players are presumably those dressed in white, and possibly the opening batsmen, three bowlers and wicketkeeper can be identified by their tackle. The boy in the boater is obviously the official scorer, and the one in grey flannels perhaps put the numbers on the board. Behind the Principal stands P. La Trobe, na doubt a descendant of Jean Henri, Count Boneval de la Trobe, who was bom in France in 1670 and fled to England during the Hugenot persecutions, possibly accompanied by Jean Ie Cren.

37. Bishop Frederick Ellis, bom in 1840, was the Moravian minister at Ockbrook from 1894 unti11921. He is seen here standing outside the manse with the spinster sister who kept house for rum. The Georgian architects sa loved their sash windows, but how unappropriately applied they are to these second floor openings, and how difficult it must have been for the upstairs maid, struggling to free one which had jambed, to remember her very reverend surroundings, Although he was totally blind, Frederick travelled the length of the country on church business, and was everywhere admired for his courage, kindness and geniality. Just to the left of the picture is a flagged path which was later known as Bishop's Walk, for here he taak his daily exercise and composed his sermens. Same of the flagstones in these pathways also allegedly came from the cloisters of the ruined Abbey at Dale.

38. The chapel, built in 1752, has changed but little since then, although it would appear the original roof was of a steeper pitch. The Whitehurst clock beneath the cupola was partly a gift from the people of Ockbrook, with the condition, say the uncharitable, that the Moravians kept it going and paid for maintenance. Two avenues of pollarded limes lead up to twin entrances, and for long the pulpit was positioned centrally on the opposite wall, with a block of backed pews for men on one side and backless forms for women on the other, the latter to accommodate their voluminous garb. The organ, purchased second-hand for 25 guineas in 1752, is still blowing strong.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek