Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.Lec. Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2983-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ockbrook in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Reverend Arthur Ward married Gertrude Warwiek of Church Street in 1897. They moved to London and from there he travelled far and wide on missionary work, including a visit to Tibet which then meant journeying 700 rough miles on foot or pony. He rose in the ranks of the Moravian Church and in 1919 was elected Bishop. Greta, his only child, was of artistic bent, and when she grew up she not only taught art in one of the Moravian girls schools but herself became a Member of the Royal Academy. She made a nostalgie visit to Ockbrook in 1975 as an elderly lady to see for the first time her mother's childhood home in Church Street.

DCK3ROOK GIRLS' SvHOOL. R DERBY

40. The Moravians first conducted two girls schools in Ockbrook, but these were combined in 1873. One was a boarding school for 'ladies' in the buildings on the right of the chapel and the other a day school for more humbie girls, which was conducted in the Single Sisters House, the building on the extreme right of the frontage, In its earJier days the day school was opened only in spring and summer, because loeal roads were often impassable for children in the winter. Following the closing of the boys school in 1915, the girls took over all the vaeated premises. and since then their school has continued to go from strength to strength.

41. The tall houses which back on to Bare Lane were built for the higher echelon of Moravian settlers. At the turn of the century it so happened that both Highfield and Hillside were occupied byeminent botanists, and it is said that the Reverend Alexandre Hasse and the Reverend Gerard Smith spent hours on their knees in the fields of the parish identifying specimens. The latter, at a very mature age, tackled an intruder found in his gun cupboard, and managed to hold him down until bis housekeeper had brought John Cope from Top Manor Farm opposite to her assistance. Some of Gerard's grey hairs were exhibited in court to bear witness to the violence of the struggle. For fifty yearsfrom 1825 Highfields was the headquarters of the Moravian Church in England, but in 1875 they were transferred to London.

42. This picture eneapsulates the Moravian lay-out, with the straight Settlement Road running aeross the hillside from the top of winding Bakehouse Lane on the left to the top of wooded Bare Lane on the right. The chapel, manse and school buildings front the road, while the main residences lie at right-angles and look across Oak Tree Close to Greenside, with the Lecture Hall buildings just behind it. Above top centre is Swallows Rest, now called The Grange and to its left the roof of The Mount, both surrounded by splendid trees. The diagonal path across the Close leads down to the Shopstones dwellings and the shop, where the Grange cottages on ce stood. In the top right-hand corner can be seen the tenements on the narrow back road behind Green Lane referred to later, and rernains of the open green between the two, which perhaps gave the road its name.

43. Joseph Cope, who lived in Top Manor Farm, seen on the right at the top of the hill, was Ockbrook's carrier for most of the nineteenth century, operating a twice-weekly service to Derby. His son John, who incidentally married the young housekeeper from Highfields who had sought his father's assistance, carried on the business through to the twentieth. The ancient farmhouse, with its magnificent views across the val1ey to HopweIl in the east, thereafter feil into a state of disrepair, but the bachelor brothers Brown tenaciously hung on to their tenancy long after daylight had began to penetrate its crumbling walls. Apart from the bottleneck at the bottom between Ockbrook House and the Manor House, and that at the top between the Moravian boundary wall and the farm, Bare Lane was of very generous width, and officialdom seems to have turned a blind eye to latterday encroachments.

44. The photographer was out early for this summer morning scene looking down Bare Lane, with the neglected thatched outbuildings of Top Manor Farm on the left and the well-kept houses of the Moravian élite on the right. It is said that villagers living in Green Lane, even those right at the bottom, would always come this way to get to town, because it was a well-known fact that to avoid the gradients by taking the easy route via the Ridings always resulted in a death in the family. The single footpath still diverges from the road, and the sycamore on the opposite side of the road has matured magnificently, but lower down the hill several of the other large trees which long kept the lane securely shaded have succumbed to the dreaded elrn disease, and on the left flank Pares Way is an open man-made wound.

45. This, the first Methodist chapel in the parish, was built at the top of Green Lane in 1808, to be followed by one for the Primitive sect at the bottom in 1816. Both were operating in the earlier Victorian years, but in 1878 a new chapel was built on the other side of the road halfway between the two. In 1983 this was vacated and the Methodists ofOckbrook shared All Saints with the Anglicans, their Reverend Helen Mauditt being the first woman minister to conduct a communion service in an Anglican church, The 1808 chapel was converted into two dwellings by Joseph Hudstone, son of the Baxter who was a boy in the Shopstones cottage, grandson of James the postman, and great-grandson of William of Ivy Bank, and himself a retailer of many local early twentieth century anecdotes.

46. Everybody knows that Queen Victoria's wedding stockings were made in the Cross Keys, where Thomas Lewesley sold beer as a sideline. Whereas most stocking makers in the parish operated single hired machines in their own homes, Thomas employed ten men and described himself as a 'silk stocking manufacturer' rather than a 'framework knitter'. The photograph shows the long window in its original position, lighting the first floor workroom, access to which was by the exterior staircase on the left. His son was the last to operate a framework knitting machine in Ockbrook, which was in Victoria Avenue, just before the First World War. This cottage industry, which had been of such vital importance to Ockbrook in the first half of the nineteenth century, generaIly speaking faded away in the second, due to crushing cornpetition from the powered machines in the towns.

47. Some well-known figures in Edwardian Ockbrook sat down for this photograph. Back left is Clarence Salsbury, the market gardener in Church Street, and back right Thomas Clifford, the go-ahead builder of Borrowash. Front left is Albert Brown, chief clerk at Barron's nurseries, centre, Samuel Lewesley, licencee of the Cross Keys, and right John Charles Ball, conductor of the Ockbrook Orchestra. The Lewesley family dominated silk stocking making and beer retailing in Green Lane for most of the nineteenth century. In addition to the Cross Keys they ran a public house on the other side of the road called 'The Prince of Wales' for a while. On the occasion of the annual Flower, Fruit and Vegetable Show, it fell to the lot of John Charles Ball to conduct the numerous brass bands from far and wide which had been in competition during the day, in an en masse finale on Rose Acre, the field on the west side of Victoria Avenue by the bypass.

48. When this picture was taken there was another road parallel to Green Lane behind the houses on the left, as before mentioned. It led from the 1808 ebapel in Wesley Lane down to the Royal Oak, or up from the Royal Oak to the chapel, if that is your way of thinking, and was flanked on its far side by mean tenements. These mostly survived into the 1950's but all have now gone and the road has degenerated into scraps of foot-path. The female crocodile ascending the hill isjust approaching the 1878 replacement chapel, with its large porch and foundation stones laid by local dignitaries of all denominations. There has long been a fine toleranee and understanding among the religious groups in Ockbrook, alas lacking among the hard bats at the Erewash planning office, who allowed the chapel to be pulled down rather than permitting its use for the renovation and storage of antique furniture.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek