Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.Lec. Smith
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Derbyshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2983-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ockbrook in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. One would think that this photograph and the last were taken about the same time, but now a graceful lamp-post has sprouted at the top of the hilI, and another opposite the Royal Oak. What welcoming beacons these must have been for the miners retuming home across the distant fields on winter evenings. Two lamplighters were employed by the parish, who took it in turns to 'do' the lamps in Ockbrook and Borrowash. In summertime, when the lamps were not lit, they removed the lanterns from posts adjacent to public houses and stored them in a yard for safety. Everybody seemed to know where they were going in 1900; like the lady in the big hat, who, having surmounted the hili, has got into top gear and will sweep past the white-collared boys and white-aproned girl at a fine rate of knots.

--

-

---"1--'"

50. The gentlemen assembied outside the Royal Oak about 1900 are believed to he members of the local Society for the Prosecution of Felons. When these societies were first formed the law was the village constabie and he was of ten something of a joke, so that those who owned property worth stealing sought added proteetion by offering monetary rewards to informers. Wbile at the time this photograph was taken the establishment of county police forces had long overtaken the need for private action, Society members liked to continue the tradition of an annual get-together, and still do. Even when they were operational the business of the meeting took about three minutes and the conviviality three hours. Among ethers here are the landlord, Henry Foster, William Naylor and bis three sons from Scotland Farm, the Hollingworths from Bartlewood, the Copes of Green Lane and Henry Danvers the gamekeeper from HopweIl.

51. Bob Dawson of Green Lane, Ockbrook's night-soil man, is seen here surrounded by the tools of his trade, all in pristine condition. He never started work until dusk, as late as 10pm if necessary, working by lantern light throughout the night, and taking great pride in his silence and discretion. There were of course water closets in some of the big houses ear1y in the nineteenth century, but later recognition of the dagners of cesspit water finding its way into drinking water wells, kept dry earth privies in favour until the Iaying of sewers and the bringing ofmains water, which was delayed until the 1920's. Earlier the Ockbrook Parish Council and the Select Vestry which preceded it were very reluctant to authorise the spending of money on such expensive projects, knowing that they and their friends would have to largely foot the bill.

52. After the Ockbrook Enclosures Act of 1773 the only common ground left for the use of the landless villagers were narrow strips bordering the broad lanes leading out to Borrowash, Shacklecross and the moor, now called Victoria Avenue, Cole Lane and Moor Lane. Portions were made available by the Select Vestry at a nominal rent of 1/- a year, and there the tenant could tether his goat or grow a few vegetables. On about half a dozen of these strips in Moor Lane the occupants actually managed to get authority to build a litt1e long dwelling, that pictured here being one of the last to be used. In a moment of aberration the Parish Council actually sold one of the strips in Victoria Avenue to Barrons the nurserymen, and suffered the embarrassment of having to go cap in hand to buy it back later.

53. Going east from the ridiculous to the sublime we aseend from the roadside on Moor Lane to the Georgian magnificenee of Hopwell Hall, which along with the windmill made a picture of Ockbrook's skyline. It was the home of the Pares family from 1786 unti11895, and they, as Lords of the Maner, Rectors of the Parish, and Patrons of All Saints Church, provided a century of benevolent domination over village affairs. When they left, Edward Elsey, a Nottingham lace manufacturer, rented the property and soon had all manner of ups and downs with Ockbrook bigwigs of longer standing. His larger-than-life exploits were a souree of great amusement to the lower orders, with whom he maintained a good understanding. By 1911 he had found pastures new and later the Hall was used by the Nottingham County Council as a special school, but unfortunately it succumbed to a disastrous fire in 1957.

54. Having lived at HopweIl Hall for seventeen years, Thomas Pares decided in 1803 to make special provision at All Saints Church for both the quick and the dead, and therefore had an extension built on to the Chancel which contained a private family pew above and a capacious family vault below. The extension, and the exterior staircase which he built to give access to the pew, can be seen between the chancel and the tree trunk. In 1928, long after the family had left the district, the continuing patren E.H. Pares gave his blessing to the vault being concreted over, the private pew and staircase being removed, and the extension being converted into an organ chamber. Previously the organ had been positioned on high at the west end between the twin galleries there.

55. The high ground which extends from Hopwell, which we knowas Red Hills, has long been a favourite vantage point for views of the village. In this picture Church Farm spreads itself in the left middle ground and Pear Tree House stands out in the centre. Public footpaths give Redhills public right of access, and the landowners seem to have long been vastly tolerant of minor excursions from these, so that in addition to providing loud-shouting fun when snow covers its slopes, it has always been a very proper place to savour the delights of the fields and hedgerows in fresh spring, high summer and misty autumn alike,

56. This is a closer view of the ancient toftage hard by the church after it had been 'embellished' in the black and white style, The card is wrongly captioned of course, for Church Farm Cottage lies hidden behind the herbage on the right. Church Farm, then known as The Homestead, was occupied by the Chevins for most of the nineteenth century. They were relatives of the Chevins at the Queen's Head, and farmed some 80 acres which stretched up and over Carr Hill. In addition they latterly farmed the Carsington School land to the east, which became to be known as Chevin Farm.

57. Going back some thirty years and standing back some three hundred yards one can see how neat the farmyard was when taken over by William Simkin about 1905. He farmed there into the 1940's but we think the whitewash came later. Church Farm Cottage can now be seen standing at right-angles to the farmhouse and gable-end on in the picture. lt is timer-framed behind its brick cladding and was no doubt once thatched. We suspect that it was built as All Saints tithe bam. To the left we can see again the staircase on the church leading up to the Pares' private pew, and to the right is the white stuccoed front of Ockbrook Lodge, then known as Brook Cottage.

58. The vantage point for this beautiful drawing made in about 1825 was the top of the first field behind Church Farm. It was commissioned by the Moravian Church and is so photographically accurate that one suspects it could only have been produced with the aid of a pin-hole image on a ground glass screen. It shows the village pretty much as it was when Victoria first ascended the throne. Then the National School for boys was still operating in the thatched building set on a roadside strip in Bare Lane opposite the Flood Street junction, and the vicarage still lay beside the church. Other notable dear departeds depicted are the Brethren's House, seen above the Shopstones cottages, and the Manor House, extreme right. Most of the other buildings which the artist drew, saw Ockbrook through Victorian and Edwardian days, and remain today,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek