Ockbrook in old picture postcards

Ockbrook in old picture postcards

:   J.Lec. Smith
:   Derbyshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2983-1
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ockbrook in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. This poor picture suggests an amateur photographer's blundering attempt to produce in a flash with bis magie black box a result equal to the exquisite end product of skilled artists' work nearly a century before. Such a pity that he did not choose to turn it on Ockbrook's windmill, of which no photograph can be found, but he was perhaps discouraged by the fact that it then had only two sails, and had ceased functioning some twenty-five years earlier. For by 1885 the litt1e local cornfields had mostly changed to pasture, being unable to compete with the vast American acreages, and with the retirement of Thomas Cook, who was bom on the premises, nobody seemed to fancy the role of jolly miller. Our photographer has faintly included some tall Lombardy poplars in his composition, which seem to have then been a feature of the Ockbrook scene; a group in the Ridings were affectionately known as the Seven Sisters.

60. Passing down Mill Lane from the windmill in 1850 one would arrive at 'the town'. Even as late as 1900 people still knew the fust part of The Ridings, along with Church Street, Flood Street and New Street, by that name. 'Top of Town' extended to Far Lane, but thereafter there was but a rough track without buildings until one reached the cottages situated a few yards from the Green Lane junction,later known as Ridings Row. The gems of the first part of The Ridings were the Manor House, here depicted, which stood at the Bare Lane junction, and Ridings House, which lay opposite Ridings Farm. Alas both have gone, but a number of oid farmhouses and cottages still preserve a little of the old atmosphere.

61. Residents of the Manor House changed rather frequently towards the end of the century and in about 1902 it became the home of William Lowe Mugliston. Superintendent of the Midland Railway, and Chairman of the Ockbrook and Borrowash Liberal Association, who may be the gentlemen with the dog in the picture. He was followed in 1916 by John James Spencer, or 'Lawyer Spencer', as he was known in the village, perhaps to distinguish him from the local tailor who was also a Spencer. While the name of the Manor House was an early Victorian affectation, the older farmhouse parts may weil have been the home of one of the ten Ockbrook Lords of the Manor, most of whom were farmers.

62. Most of the mid-Victorian building work in Ockbrook was done by Frederick Greasley who first took over the old brickmaking site opposite the cricket field associated with Rose Cottage in Victoria Avenue, and then in 1860 moved his business to the yard beside The Yews in Derby Road at Borrowash. John S. Clifford followed him there in about 1895, and was soon doing work far beyond the confines of the parish. Meanwhile James Loftus re-established a yard in Ockbrook and is seen here, extreme right, supervising his workmen in The Ridings, These bleak but solidly constructed 'villas' were typical of thousands put up in the Midlands before the 1914-1918 war. If their frontage was set back a few feet from the pavement edge, like the ones here, they qualified for the adjective 'palisaded', and obviously housed a better class ofperson.

63. The fine Georgian front of Oekbrook House has dominated the middle-ground of the village, and the view from Red Hills, since the year 1750, when it was built. Mrs. Arkwright, who married into the wealthy Derbyshire family of that name, lived there in the 1890's and played an intimate part in Oekbrook affairs, including the hiring out of baby clothes for a penny a week. The house on the left, which he called Sherbourne Villa, was where William Leaver spent his retirement. He came up from London in 1853, died in 1875 and is buried in the churchyard, His daughter presented the stained glass window in the chureh as a memorial to her parents. On the right are the sheds, greenhouses and dwelling of Clarenee Salsbury, now No. 82 Church Street, who operated a market gardening and eoal retailing business there.

64. Living at Sherbourne Villa from 1875 unti11896 was the Warwiek farnily, who had abandoned the name donated by William Leaver and sustituted 'Broek Cottage'. John Alfred Warwiek (standing), son of an eminent scientific lecturer, invented the block system of railway signalling and became the first Signal and Telegraph Engineer of the Midland Railway. This photograph may well have been taked by Richard Keene, the famous Derby photographer, who was a close friend of the family. The Warwicks were followed at Brook Cottage by the Dales, who se younger members frequented Ockbrook's nine-hole golf course, and then, in 1915 by Joseph Birkinshaw junior, whose father lived at Fellside. In 1923 Col. Douglas Forman bought the house, and he changed its name again, this time to 'Ockbrook Lodge', which it has been ever since.

65. After his retirement John Alfred Warwick developed his firework making interest. He had this manufacturing shed erected halfway down the garden, and a briek-built gunpowder store right at the bottom. Both were equipped with exterior boxes in which he kept dry slippers; a change of footware not only preventing damp from being taken in, but avoided the creation of sparks from the nailheads of his boots which might have caused a premature explosion. The blast wall on the right was specially built to try out the elaborate set pieces in which he specialised. Then, on Oak Tree Close on the 5th November, he set off the whole of his year's production in one glorious display, witnessed by not only the village but also visitors from far and wide.

66. Croquet was popular in Ockbrook as everywhere else in the 1880's, the ladies obviously finding it a game with which they could cope in spite of the voluminous attire which fashion then demanded. The layout of the equipment is a little bizarre, and one suspects that either the rules were flexible at the time or a non-playing photographer had arranged it for his picture. In any case the hoops look awfully generous for the size of the balls. The chimneys over the garden wall are those of No. 82 Church Street which later became Clarence Salsbury's market gardening establishment. Later still it blossomed into one of Ockbrook's many little 'general' shops where Mrs. Murphy sold her hot home-made meat pies, with free gravy if you brought your own jug.

67. But the craze for croquet was relatively short-lived and by 1890 many of the grounds specially levelled and lawned for the purpose were having their hoops pulled out and a tennis net stretched across the middle, In Ockbrook it would appear that the men did not even bother to remove their waistcoats to indulge in the new game of pat-ball, and while the c1ose-corsetted ladies obviously insisted on playing their part, they found no difficu1ty in keeping their heads properly covered while doing so. Later they took the game less lightly, and in the Edwardian years those who could squeeze a tennis lawn into their garden would exchange visits with others and play semi-serious matches. Then, after the war and a trial run in the Manor House garden, the Ockbrook and Borrowash Tennis Club was inaugurated on Barron ground off Nottingham Road, and the way was set for penniless gamins to become mu1ti-millionaires by patting the ball better than the rest.

68. In 1927 Maude Allen taak up residence with her husband John in the fust of the two 'villas' built by James Loftus early in the century immediately below Ockbrook Lodge. She was born in 1902 and is seen here at the age of three with Louisa, her elder sister. She loved life and people and for eighty odd enthusiastic years enjoyed this village, giving even more than she received, Before marriage she was John Orchard's post-office assistant up at Shopstones, but when he died she was too busy with a young husband and expectations to accept the offer of carrying on in hls stead. Later she became a Parish Councillor and we can all be thankful for yer years of vigilance and fearless defence of the best of Ockbrook.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek