Ormskirk in old picture postcards

Ormskirk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mona Duggan
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5399-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ormskirk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Here is a better view of Dr. Lax's surgery. In the 1820s, when this imposing building was the house of industry, the town's fire engine was housed alongside, on the site of the small cottage. The next tall building is the mansion house, once the town house of the Stanleys of Moor Hall, Aughton. Although they lived so ne ar to Ormskirk, travelling conditions we re so bad in the winter months, that they of ten moved into their town house to avoid the dreary conditions at Moor Hall, which was surrounded by swamps and mossland. They wouJd also use their town house whenever they needed a base in the town for visits to the local theatre, the races, the cockpit or the cold plunge baths at Greetby Hili. The cockpit was conveniently close to the house, between Chapel Street and St. Helens Road.

Jne cJ?uf/. near Örtnskirk

20. These pictures show the Ruft, or Ruft Woods as they are more commonly known. This land was given to the Urban District Council for the use of the people of Ormskirk by Thomas Holcroft, a local magistrate, in 1912. The former quarry was landscaped and made into an attractive woodland which future generations could enjoy.

21. Here we see the Ruff in the process of conversion. Since then, Holcroft's bequest has given endless pleasure to loc al people, ranging from the children who play hide and seek among the trees and bring their picnies on summer afternoons, to the pensioners who walk their dogs along its shady pathways.

22. In the park in Ruff Lane is a memorial to Sergeant Major Nunnerley of the 17th Lancers who survived the Charge of the Light Brigade. His bravery is the subject of a painting in Manchester Art Gallery, depieting the sergeant major supporting his wounded captain as they struggle away from the battlefield. Nunnerley returned to Ormskirk and built four houses in Greetby HilI, which he called Inkerman, Balaclava, Alma and Sebastopol, to commemorate those battles in the Crimean War. Ormskirk Brass Band used to play in the park on Sunday evenings in the summer and people used to gather to listen to the music. The house with circular bays overlooking this peaceful scene, later became Clarendon School and is now part ofthe Abbeyfield Sheltered Housing Society.

23. Later, Sergeant Major Nunnerley set up business in 27 Moor Street. This card, posted in 1904, shows his shop next door to the Old Baat Inn, where the landlord was John Birchall. Further down Moor Street we re a wine and spirit shop and Rimmer's butcher's whose delicious park sausages are still remembered. Near the doek tower in the picture can be seen the glass canopy of the Corn Exchange where farmers met to conduct business on market days. On the opposite side of the raad was Ablett's shoe shop with a sign high up on the front of the building. In those days, few market traders had the comfort of an awning over their stalls to proteet them from the weather. The stalls seem to have had fewer goods and less variety than they dotoday.

24. This picture of St. Helens Road is interesting bccause it shows so c1early the difference in the road surfaces. On the left hand side, the roadway has been covered in sand to prevent the horses slipping on the stone sets as they pulled their heavy loads up the slope. On the other si de of the road, the sets have not been covered because the slope was downhilI and the horses would have had no difficulty. The Council appointed length-men responsible for spreading sand on an appointed stretch of roadway. An old school with external stone steps to the upper storey, used to stand nearby on the right hand side of the road. The buildings behind the trees have now been demolished and modern houses erected on this site.

25. Knowsley Road has changed little. The lady and the little giri in the foreground appear also in the postcard of Stanley Street. Perhaps they were the camerarnan's wife and daughter, who had been persuaded to stand at the side of the road to add interest to the picture. Certainly, the lady's hat is more fashionable than many in the other postcards and gives the impression that it was worn especially for the occasion.

26. This horse bus took the people who lived in Bickerstaffe to Ormskirk market. There seems to be another horse bus facing in the opposite direction behind the one with the notice 'Ormskirk Marker' . Perhaps the two buses were collecting passengers in Ormskirk for the return journey when this photo was taken.

27. Here we have a busier view of the market, taken sometime before 1905. It is impossible to see what most of the stalls are selling, but one in the forefront has a rack of sheet music propped up behind the stall. Evidently, the cameraman was too late to catch the salesman singing to the crowd and organising a session of comrnunity singing before trying to persuade them to buy his sheet music, The building on the left of Ablett's shop in the picture was later demolished and 'The Ship' inn was built in its place. When that inn stopped trading in 1916, the Abletts Ieft their premises. which had also earlier been an inn, 'The Grapes' , and rnoved next door. The sign of the Ship can still be seen above the shop and a hand picking grapes can be seen at the top ofthe gable on the otherproperty.

Fvr lhe Rl··1 " I

~ a nc 111 Rools c- <,,), /l

vou m/{/{ol do beitel' tila/{ z 1,,/1

ABLETT'S

8001 and SbO~ mtlnUraClUr~rs,

2, MOOR STREET, ORMSKIRK,

And 19, SANDY LANE, SKELMERSDALE.

We are now holding a plendid rock of NEW

SEASON'S FOOTWEAR in all rhe Latest hapes and 't)'b.

Our Goeds, being of the Highest CIa;., are Ju.tl:: .renowned for rheir elegant appearanee, ea y fit, and durability, and are sold at prices considerably below these u ually eharged for goods of thi deseription.

Ladit5' & Gen!'s H ?? d-sow. Boots to mus.r.. Rep.irs by uperielCcd orluat._

28. This advertisement for Ablett's shoes gives a closer view of the front of their Moor Street shop, before they moved into the pre mises of the Ship. The ornate classical pilasters at each side of the shop window must have been very attractive. Ablett's had a long tradition as shoemakers in Ormskirk. In the early 1880s, William Ablett already had an established shoe shop and shoe manufacturing business at 17 Aughton Street.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek