Ormskirk in old picture postcards

Ormskirk in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Mona Duggan
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Lancashire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5399-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Ormskirk in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Dyers Lane has changed little since th is card was posted in 1910. New houses stand where the washing is hanging out and the sets on the roadway are now covered in tarrnac, rnaking a rnuch quieter surface. The noise made by horses and carts as they trundled over sets, used to disturb people who were ill and so, whenever anyone was seriously ill, straw used to be spread over the sets to deaden the sound. This was also done outside hospitals, especially in busy towns.

50. Town End, at the beginning of Preseot Road, has changed. The leafy garden is now the site of more houses and the row of cottages with no garelens. together with the tall Georgian house, have been demolished to make way for St. Arme's Social Centre. It is possible th at the tall building was the house built by Father Bulmer in 1746, after the library in his home in the centre of Ormskirk had been burnt by rioters. The old Catholic church of St. Oswald's, which served for many years as a school for Catholic children before the Hants Lane School was opened, stood behind the high brick wall. This card was posted in 1912.

51. A slightly earlier view of Town End, taken about 1908 from the opposite direction. Again the cottages, the Georgian house and the high brick wall can be seen. Later a brewery was built on the right hand side of the road, but now most ofthat property and land is used by the Council as a depot.

52. New houses have also been built on the corner opposite St. Arme's Catholic Church. The signpost na langer stands on that corner and Ormskirk gasometer has now disappeared, after lang service in the town. The gas company was founded in 1835 and supplied the streets of Ormskirk with lighting from the 1880s.

53. This interior view of St. Arme's Church dates from the days of the First World War. In recent times, another altar table has been erected in front of the high altar, to enable the priest to serve Mass facing the congregation. A wooden reading desk also stands now at the front of the church.

54. These buildings of the grammar school remain unchanged since the alterations in 1907, but now they are surrounded by extensions of various kinds, including a large sports hall. The land on the opposite side of Mil! Street was used as playing fields at the time of this picture, but now it is covered with classrooms and a small playground.

55. This group of scholars and staff of the grammar school dates from 1930. Among the masters in the cornplete group, of which this is only a part, were the Reverend Bate, MT. Boswell, MT. Chippendale, MT. Cliffe, MT. Green and MT. Hamilton and among the mistresses we re Miss Thornton and Miss Robinson.

56. This house, Claremont, has been used as classrooms for the grammar school since 1960. Originally the house belonged to Henry Jones, a rope master, whose initials can be seen on a plaque above the right-hand bay window. His rope works were alongside the grammar school grounds and a smal! winding house still exists beside the house. The Rope Walk stretched between Wigan Road and Ruff Lane and is remembered in the name of the Roper's Arms. Rope making had been an important industry in the town from Tudor times until comparatively recently. Ropes used to be in great de mand for sailing boats, horsedrawn carts and other innumerable uses, both on the farm and in the horne. Originally, the industry used hemp, which was grown extensively in the damp fields of West Lancashire, to make the ropes.

57. These houses on Cottage Lane have lost their rural outlook. Most of the trees have gone; the railings and gateposts have been altered and they are now surrounded by houses of various ages, built to fil! every available piece of land. The modern development of Redgate extends behind this row and Redgate meets Cottage Lane at the corner in the background of this picture. Now, beyond the trees on the right, in the background of the picture, is an electrician's shop. The path going through the hedge on the right of the picture, skirts the side of the shop and joins County Road, which did not exist at the time th is photograph was taken.

58. Tbis view of tbe same cottages was taken from tbat patb, near to its present junction witb County Road. Originally tbe pa tb wound between hedges and across fields to the churcb. Today, its course can still be followed from Cottage Lane to County Road, across Coronation Park to Park Road. In the early decades of tbis century, the fields to tbe rigbt of tbe picture used to be flooded during the winter months and if tbcre was a continuous hard frost, the youths of tbe town used to skate and play ice hockey on the ice. This picture of Brookacre was posted in 1912.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek