Orpington in old picture postcards

Orpington in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Muriel V. Searle, Johnn and Kathleen Warner
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Greater London
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5882-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Orpington in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9. Although this card was sent in 1921, the boys' Eton collars and knickerbockers and the ladies' long dresses place this scene some ten years earlier. The lamp-post stands in front of the post office and the car waits outside Martins Bank. The Anchor & Hope public house is situated on the corner of Aynscombe Angle, opposite Hedgecock's funeral parlour. Mr. Parsons sold boots, shoes and children's wear from the shop next to the undertakers. By the turn of the century, architects were introducing novel, picturesque designs. The Victorian 'Red House'-style bank building and the Art Nouveau decor of Mr. Parson's shop are attractive examples of this new thinking. They make an interesting contrast with the centuries-old clapboard of the public house and can still be appreciated today. The old Anchor & Hope was demolished in 1929, but was soon replaced by the present building. (KJW)

10. This postcard is dated 1910 and Bert apologises for not taking Miss Piper on an outing on the previous Saturday. He hopes that she will give hirn another chance! The horses and cart are passing the Post Office on the corner of Moorfield Raad. Ten years later, Aynscombe House, the handsome ivy-clad Georgian building on the left, will become the new Post Office. Originally called Angle End, a combination ofthe heuse's names was given to the appropriately shaped new road that lay behind the foliage on the right- Aynscombe Angle. Incidentally, early documents and directories rarely agree on the spelling of Aynscombe, a Lullingstone family name, but the inclusion of an 'e' now appears to be here to stay. (KJW)

11. The same location as the previous picture, but now the building boom had begun. While Barclays Bank and the adjoining shops were rising on the corner of Church Hili in 1925, Charles Bruce was having a block of four shops built on the opposite pavement and he published this card soon after completion. Aynscombe House had already been drastically altered. The front garden and attic rooms had gone and a shop front fitted for the new Post Office on the ground floor. The first two shops next door are an unlikely looking garage, the entrance to Bruce and Crust's works being at the rear. Mr. Bruce's newsagents business filled the third new shop and the fourth was let to Battle's the bakers. On the bank side, the sign 'K Shoes' harigs over Thomas Ayling's shoe shop, where most Orpington children have had their feet measured. Aynscombe House is now a charity shop. (KJW)

12. The picturesque cottages of Aynscombe Angle are shown here. This short T-shaped wad at the side of and behind the Anchor and Hope public house was created by renowned local architect George St. Pierre Harris in Edwardian times. Harris had made his reputation twenty years earlier with his designs for the Board Schools in ChisIehurst Road (1882), The Walnuts villa (1886), St. Paul's Church in Crofton (1888) and the Village Hall (1890). Harris, who died in 1939, also drew the plans for the distinctive National Westminster Bank building on the corner of Homefield Rise, built around 1910. There was no 'e' in Aynscombe when the raad was named and no truants either, children giving a wide berth to Mr. Burgess, the school attendance officer at No 17, so depriving themselves of the pleasure of watching horses being shod in the Priory Forge at No 11. (KJW)

w...w...JT.r. ??..?. RT "'OT~L 0.. ft.'r~

13. Getting drunk at a cricket match was the chief amusement of Orpington 's inhabitants according to an author in 1820. The White Hart catered for bath debaucheries, ale in the tap room, and cricket in the meadow behind the inn. The White Hart meadow became the first horne of the Orpington Cricket Club in 1834 and also the Orpington Football Club from 1902. Annual sports days held there from 1903 until1914 featured everything from egg and spoon races to acrobats, fun fairs, fireworks, bands and even 15V2 mile marathon races. The hoteloffered Victorian traveIlers 'good accommodation, a spacious dining room and livery stables', This card is dated 29 July 1911 and the imposing building is nearing its end. It stayed open during 1913 whilst the present inn was being built on the spacious forecourt and was then demolished. (KJW)

14. A 1930s postcard showing the unusual proportions of the old Parish Church's nave and chancel compared with the low and stumpy tower. It also shows, at left, how close Bark Hart was, scarcely ten feet away from the church walls. A church stood here at least as far back as the Domesday Book, and the Saxons, too, worshipped on the site, as a previously unknown sundial, rediscovered in 1957, confirmed. From the Normans onwards, almost every period of architectural history stamped something more onto the structure. Like Farnborough, Orpington Church lost part of its one-time tall tower to a violent thunderstorm (in 1771) after which it acquired not only repairs but also a more impressive shingled spire. It lasted only some thirty-eight years, until struck by lightning. The parish council by then had got the message that Orpington was not intended to push its bricks and stanes towards heaven, and left the remains spire-Iess. The list of local Rectors and Vicars included William-de-Orpington of 1284, a typical example of the early tendency for placenames to act as surnames identifying a person's home parish. (MVS)

15. A scene in Orpington churchyard on Palm Sunday in 1914 is dominated by St. Andrew's Sunday School banner; though very few children are visible, the congregation being mainly older women in Sunday-best hats and men in either bowlers or caps, according to status. That Sunday School was truly flourishing then, and into the 1930s, is apparent from surviving accounts of the annual prize-givings that were so keenly anticipated. One for 1932, for instance, shows that the combined ceremony for Orpington Parish Church, St. Andrew's and for St. Paul's, Crofton, was followed by a tea for two hundred people which needed some thirty helpers to stage. Entertainment at such events was very different from anything today, much more unpretentious, and virtually always including what was then known as community singing rather than a singalong. The children usually spent several weeks rehearsing some simple short play or musical scene, whose titles are a world removed from today's equivalents, dominated by television characters. Then, it was 'Jack Frost', or 'The Toy Shop', or a little play like 'The Spoilt Princess'. (MVS)

16. Popularly, it is aften assumed that the name Orpington Priory means that some order of monks once resided there, but in fact na monastic habit was ever wam within this parish. The title simply sterns from the fact that the land was interlinked with the priory of Christ Church at Canterbury, whose Prior was therefore Lord ofthe Manor, Though altered again and again over the centuries, it is still a wonderful old house, now containing the Museum for the whole London Borough of Bromley, including a recently added peri ad room illustratiug life in the 1930s. Despite sorne losses due to a store-room fire recently, the costume collection is still specially extensive. Previous uses of the building included being the home of Rectors of St. Mary Cray and Orpington, up to about 1600. After this it passed through various private owners unti11942, when the Hughes family left. They are remembered for staging outdoor shows in the grounds. The then separate Orpington Council bought it from the widowed Mrs. Hughes in 1947. (MYS)

17. Ifyou painted out the aast house of Court Lodge farm and substituted the car with a modern make, you could almast be looking at a present-day view of Bruce Grove. This is not such a fanciful idca, for some early postcard publishers would update their cards by resorting to these tricks. In fact, this card was sent in 1935 and the picture was probably taken not long befare th en, as the raad first appeared in street directories in 1931. lts name is a reminder of Charles Leonard 'Lenny' Bruce, who came to Orpington in 1905 and built a smalllocal business empire. Mr. Bruce was chairman of Orpington Parish Council when the raad was built and an amusing portrait of this popular entrepreneur is given in Gill Edrnond's excellent navel "Ihe Album' (1985) which is based upon her tamily's reminiscences of old Orpington. The Bruce tamily's last shop in the town closed in 1986. (KJW)

18. The National Provincial Bank was the second of the 'matching' banks to be erected on the corners of Church Hill after work had started in 1925. The International Tea Company Stores Ltd. opened in the shop next door. A grand name for a grocer! In 1929 watchmaker Duncan Gayfer moved his business a few yards from BroomhilI Raad corner to the new shop next to the White Hart. He had a nasty shock in 1933 when smash-and-grab raiders robbed hirn of f300 worth of jewellery and he retired four years later after forty years trading. The makes of three cars and the registration periods of their licence plates are listed on the back of this card. In front, on the right, is a Clyno (192517) and a Renault (1929) stands behind. A Singer (1927/8) is parked outside the new grocery shop opposite. The stall selling apples for 6d per 1 b was still trading in the 1950s. (KJW)

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek