Otley in old picture postcards

Otley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5324-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Otley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. The overhead wires for the trackless tram span Boroughgate next to the Mechanics Institute. The avenue of lime saplings, which originally continued through from Cross Green, are protected by iron railings. These trees we re planted by Councillors Brogan, Myers, Trufit, Mounsey, Phillips andWalkerin 1909.

10. Otley's many inns, pubs and hostelries supported a wide range of social activities from Friendly Societies ta Football Clubs. The Otley Harriers team are seen here outside the White Swan, Boroughgate, about 1910; Sandy Hutchinson was landlord. A tew doors up the street at No. 96 were the headquarters of Otley Cycle and Rifle Clubs.

11. The Post Office, 54 Boroughgate, c1909. The new Boroughgate Post Office was opened in 1896 having moved from Manor Square. Alterations to the 18th century house included two-storey bay windows, sorting office, postmen's and messengers' rooms and mail cart sheds. Postmaster Thomas E. Thorns lived here with weekday office hours from 7am to 8pm; Sundays 8am to lOam. Postrnasters King, Sims, Shipley and Cartwright followed until the move to Nelson Street in 1942.

12. The plans for the new Otley Conservative Club were submitted to the Local Board in 1892 by Lt. Col. Dawson, to designs by Fairbank & Wall. The 1893 datestone has since been removed from the parapet. At the time of this 1906 photograph J.W. Eyre was steward, and secretaries were C.W. Wilkinson and superintendent Walter Strain of the Otley Police. Occupiers of the loek-up shops were Robinson, grocer; Clapham, general dealer, and Sam. Chew, butcher.

13. The demolition scene at the corner of Wesley Street and Boroughgate for the new offices of Otley Building Society. The society, which was established in 1848, had engaged Harold Chippindale of Guiseley and T. G. Gamble ofIlkley as associate architects for the building.

14. The new Otley Building Society under erection during 1933. The developers were in dispute in the High Court with their next-door neighbour Joseph Nicholson, clockmaker, regarding the boundary wal!. The masonry and building work from wooden scaffolding was by O'Brien & Richmond. Other Otley tradesmen involved in the work were Peter Patriek. joiner; Joseph Shepherd, slater, and Harry Howard, decorator .

15. Otley Market Place c1900 on a eard by Henry Mounsey. The shops left to right are Gallon, grocer's; Robinson, clothier's; and Hellewell's Corner Shop. On the Kirkgate front are Mainprize, chemist; Coad, watehmaker; Suttle , tailor, and Mounsey, stationer - with the poles of the National Telephone Exchange fast outgrowing their roof top loeation. The Exchange was moved to the old Vicarage , Chureh Lane, in June 1901. 1'0 the right is Thomas Housernan's Leeds House dining room.

16. Another Mounsey photograph of Otley Market Place. Beyond Houseman's refreshment rooms on the left is W.B. Moss grocer's and its gable advertisement for their renowned 'First erop Tea'. The central shops are Storr, confectioner; Ternpest, ironmonger; King, watchmaker, and Ward, butcher and confectioner.

17. The staff at W.B. Moss & Son, grocers, Market Place , about 1905. In the mid-1920s Moss had stores at Hitchen, Letchworth, Baldock, Shefford, Kimton. Fenny Stratford, Otley, Ripon and Knaresborough. Their groceries and produets catalogue ran to over ZOO pages and listed everything from boracic acid at 4Vzd per pound, to Zambuk at2s/6d a tin.

18. The Black Horse Commercial Hotel facing Market Place c1894. Mrs. Mary Roundel was innkeeper at this much altered 17th century landmark. Carriers left Black Horse Yard every Friday market day for Darley, Ilkley and Wilsden. The old inn was totally replaced by the present Black Horse in 1901. On the roof top beyond is the telegraph pole of the Telephone Exchange at Henry Mounsey's stationer's shop and 'Artists Repository'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek