Otley in old picture postcards

Otley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5324-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Otley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A fleeting moment in the street history of Bondgate c1912. Senior Blackburn, park butcher of Newmarket, is led across the road by his pig. Beyond the gardens of Grove House, John Hardy, cycle dealer, advertises 'Falcon Cycles - Honest Machines at Honest Prices'. At 79 Kirkgate,Hainsworths seil a good me al at their fried fish & potato restaurant. In the distance, above and beyond all temporal pleasures, stands Otley Parish Church, where the Reverend Reginald Pattinson offers nourishment of a spiritual kind.

30. The Model Lodging House on Bondgate was the temporary home of such exotic Otley characters as 'Old Mothballs' and 'Polly Nowt', as weIl as untold numbers of casu al labourers in search of work. Arthur Lee, the Lodging house keeper in the 20th century, offered dormitories at about 4d a night or ls/6d a week, and kept a smal! shop selling tea, sugar and other essentials. The Model's plaee in the loeal eeonomy is of ten overlooked, as in the 1920s when it offered shelter to those seeking building work with MacAlpines on the Newal! Garden Suburb.

31. The barn workshops of William Annison Bull on the corner of Bondgate and Gay Lane. The Central Garage advertises Bedford cars, automobile carriage building and Wharfedale dairy earts. Bull then offered every kind of eonveyanee for wad, trade and farm. He later beeame a Ford dealer and built showrooms on Gay Lane. He was Chairman of Otley Urban District Council between 1936 and 1938.

32. An Annison Bull milk float outside the workshops about 1910 with Bondgate in the background. Bull's dairy carts were said to be of many years standing and proved 'by me rits to be the best on the marker'. Annison Bull lived at 4 Gay Lane whilst Mrs. Bull traded as a milliner and draper alongside.

33. The development of Otley terraeed housing reached its peak in 1874 and is typified at one level by the twenty houses at Cambridge Terrace. Symmetrical blocks with facing gables, decorative bargeboards and bay windows we re the new styles of Otley's private residents. In 1888 solicitor Frederick E. Groom was at No. 1, organ builder Henry Booth at No. 3 and Reverend James Tristram Primitive Methodist Minister at No. 9.

34. The large and fashionable facing rows of Queen's Terrace and Station Raad gave residents bath a respectable proximity to the market town and contact with the trade and commerce of Leeds and Bradford by train. The stink from Lawsori's tanyard down the road was long a souree of annoyance to the inhabitants, Where there was muck th ere was certainly brass - Williarn Lawson had built himself a fine villa on Chevin side from the proceeds of the leather trade.

35. Charles Walker is pictured here at his Wharfedale Printing Works in Station Road about 1930. Walker's output included historical guides and the Wharfedale Times. His unique collection of laritem slides was shown under the title 'Old Otley' and excited great interest. On one such evening in 1906, in aid of the St. John's Ambulance Association, his lecture ran to 293 slides. The collection subsequently formed the basis for his son Harold's baak 'This Little Town of Otley'.

36. 'Hurrah for the Railway! Give cheers three times three! lts many advantages soon may we see!' So Otley greeted the opening of the branch railway on 1st February 1865. Passenger and freight services were withdrawn exactly a century later following the Beeching Report of 1963. Midland Railway Loco. 174 stands at Otley Station c1888 with station master John Deans' house in the background. This locomotive was one of a series built by Beyer Peacock & Co. in 1867 and rebuilt by S. W. Johnson in the early 1880s. They were stationed in Bradford.

37. Otley Station at twenty minutes to five by the platform clock on a winter's aftemaan c19ΓΌ6. The timber waiting room on the island platform was reached by the tiled subway on the left. By the time the ticket office booked its last passengers in March 1965 the halcyon days of summer excursions to the seaside were a fading memory. The wooden waiting room was lying wrecked and splintered when the demolition train was pictured here in June 1966.

38. Otley Station signal box with signalman Mr. W.H. Edwards at the levers. The footbridge and pa th to Chevin are behind. Otley Station not only handled ordinary passenger and goods services, but saw regular troop trains, annual Otley Show livestock and even circus elephants. In February 1947 a train of eight coachloads of soldiers departed for human snowplough work on the blocked Settle and Carlisle railway.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek