Otley in old picture postcards

Otley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5324-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Otley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. Elisha Dodgshon, horse, corn and flour rnerchant at 23 Manor Square or Clapgate. Alteratiens to his old cottage shop we re planned in 1886 by Alfred Marshall. who included a canopied and galleried front for the better display of rnerchandise. Dodgshon was the new cornpetitor ta Bridge Street's old-established corn dealer J arnes Mawson.

50. Top of Bridge St reet cl874. These two cottages formerly projecting into Bridge Street were built by William Gil! yeoman in 1754 on the site of a barn called Whitwham Barn. The properties we re subsequently leased to innkeeper Joseph Curtis under the sign of 'Clap Gate House'. The 19th century saw their further adaptation as stables and warehouse for James Mawson, corn dealer, as they appear in this photograph.

51. Salem Chapel, Bridge Street. This photograph was taken shortly before its demolition for the new Congregational Church of 1899. The original chapel date stone of 1825 was incorporated in the graveyard wall. The Independents had used the Assembly Rooms at the Bowling Green Inn and the Pump Chapel at the Black Bull before obtaining their plot on what was then called Northgate.

52. The Licks Cattle Market at the turn of the century. The cattIe were moved here from Manor Square in 1885. An exasperated observer at the old location had described stalls knocked over, tradesmen standing guard at their shops, streets plastered with filth and the air resounding with the 'elegant' language of cattle drovers. The Licks also became the site for the Bank Holiday feast and fair.

53. North Parade Board Schoollooking out onto the Lieks, cl906. Opened on 8th November 1879 when scholars, who had been attending temporary classes at Salern school room adjoining, were served with coffee and buns in the afternoon and a magie lantern entertainment in the evening. Built to Gothie designs by Otley Architects Alfred Marshall and James Tosh, the reported cost was f3,918.17s.6d with accommodation for 330children at El l per head.

54. Otley Bridge and Newall Hall in the late 1890s. The rural scene from the south end of Otley Bridge before the development of Bridge Avenue. In the distance is Newall Hall described in 1813 as 'tastefully placed upon the margin of a sylvan terrace. with asiender graceful descent towards the waters of the Wharfe'. The Hall was successively the home of the Ward, Billam and Wilkinson families.

55. Messing about in the river on the gravel beds below the weir and Gatnett's paper mill. A postcard, written in 1905, commented: '1 fish in the pool each rnorning, a neighbour has caught some splendid eels. The erawfish excited a great deal of curiosity. 1 thought it was a water scorpion - and one man said it was a locust!'

56. Otley Rugby Football Team, winners of the Yorkshire Challenge Cup in 1899. Harry Garnett stands centre group in his Wharfeside House garden next to the Mills and within sight of their home groundoffMilJ Lane.

57. Wharfeside Mills and Mill Lane during the great flood on 29th January 1883. This really was an extraordinary case of 't'water in t'river backing up', a phrase used by the paper mill workers when there was too much water for the wheel to work effectively. Thomas Clifton Wilkinson erected a f100d stone marking the high water mark as it approached his Newall Hall estate at Billams Hili on the opposite side of the river.

58. Quiet days on the Wharfe with the ancient bridge, Bridge End cottages and Otley Swimming Club's hut alongside with diving board.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek