Otley in old picture postcards

Otley in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Paul Wood
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, West
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5324-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Otley in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. Members of the Otley Swimming and Life Saving Club outside their dressing hut. The sensation of 'official' mixed swimming in the river came about 1906.

60. Concert night at Manor Parade Gardens or 'Titty Bottle Park'. The small triangle of river bank berdering Mil! Lane, and originally called Milne Leys, was acquired by the Council from Mrs. Constable of the Manor House in 1909. Whilst offering a daily parking place for generations of mothers, babies and exotic perambulators, it also provided a peaceful haven for summer evening entertainment. In one such concert during August 1911, Mr. Hugh Nicholson excited an audience of 300 with his two hour programme of gramophone music, This card was published by Henry Mounsey.

61. One of the great musical attractions of the town was Henry Dacre and his Recreational Hall Orchestra, pictured here in the Japanese Gardens off Burras Lane. The 'Ree', as it was affectionately called, supported drama, elocution, reading and bible study, orchestral musie and dancing groups, cycling, rambling, football and harriers' clubs.

62. One of a series of postcards taken by photographer George Brown of Otley in 1929. The Wharfedale Observer of 22nd February described the scene up river from Otley Bridge as 'revels on the ice', Similar descriptions had appeared weIl before the advent of the picture postcard as in January 1875 when a newspaper reported: 'The Wharfe is frozen over, and has been frequented by hundreds of skaters.'

63. During the 1930s Wharfemeadows Pool offered mixed bathing. the hire of costumes and towels with efficient swimmers always in attendance. Season membership was adults 4s/-; juniers 3s/-; children: 2s/-. Single daily attendance charges were adults: 4d and children 2d.

64. The 1926 Guide to Otley describes the scene at Wharfemeadows: 'A feature of the park is the music, good bands being engaged for each Sunday and occasion al weck days during the summer. The new bandstand is in a sheltered and pretty corner of the park, and amongst the recent engagements have been bands of such note as Besses 0' th' Barn, St. Hilda Colliery, Irwell Springs and Black Dyke Mills.' Postcard by George Brown of Otley.

65. A sunlit Bridge Avenue nestles in asylvan glade of trees. This was the unlikely named 'Klondike' site, where prospective purchasers were invited to stake their claim to a building plot. Tom Masten, the contractor who built the houses after 1899, would probably have had less trouble with the Yukon River than occupiers would have with the Wharfe over the seasons, Living on the old watermeadows of Great and Little Leys between Bridge End and the damstones could be like living in a lake dwelling.

66. Following a stormy night of wind and rain the Wharfe burst its banks on 16th February 1935. Said to be the highest floods in 52 years, a third of the population north of the river were cut off unless they wished to participate in th is impromptu ferry service. The occupants of Bridge Avenue and Farnley Lane were again marooned on the floodplain.

67. Westage c190S. On the immediate left is George Robinson's Cross Pipes Inn with the railings and gates to the Methodist New Connexion Chapel alongside. Beyond the cottages is Century Buildings, erected by John Kay as the manufactory of his Kay printing machines. One of Kay's platen presses left Westgate bound for adventures on the high seas. It was used on board the 'Queen Mary' for printing the liner's programmes of entertainments.

68. Dick Thompson, ├╝tley's reallife John Bull, wedged in his cottage doorway adjoining the Cross Pipes Inn, Westgate. Thompson was victualIer at the Blue Bell in Cattle Marker, now Manor Square, from the middle of the 19th century.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek