Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:   Oxted
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3493-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. An A.H. Homewood postcard, posted in 1906, shows The Crown Inn and the High Street looking east (not west as shown). The inn was known as The Crown and Anchor when William Roberts was the innkeeper in 1826. The main building dates from the eighteenth century although the frontage was added about 1870.

10. Oxted High Street is pictured about 1930 in the Golden Series and The Crown Inn has become The Crown Hotel selling Westerham ales. Opposite The Crown stands a quaint milk cart advertising pure, rieh milk and further down the hilI, a brewery lorry is delivering some barrels to The Wheatsheaf.

11. This postcard was published by A. Stripe of Oxted, about 1912 and shows the High Street, looking east, below The Crown Inn. The pinafored girls have no fears from the horse-drawn vehicles and the wheelbarrows in the bottom right-hand corner indicate that some building work was being undertaken at The Crown. The shops on the left of the picture are now private houses - The Old Post Office, Fraser's Cottage and Saddlers.

12. A drayman and his faithful horse pose for a photographer outside The Wheatsheaf at the bottom of the High Street on a summer's day about 1910. The inn appears to stand on the site of the mill shown on maps of 1729 and 1760 and it has a slate-roofed wing at the rear which is much earlier in character than the building shown above.

13. At the foot of the High Street, the main road continues eastwards towards Limpsfield and the Kentish boundary. The road to the left leads towards the new part of Oxted which has grown up around the railway station. The charming house in the triangle has been replaced by Langley House. This J.B. Loek postcard was published about 1911.

14. A postcard in Cox's Photo Series, posted in New Oxted in 1916, starts our return up the High Street. The bridge over the river may be seen before The Wheatsheaf and the whole street is remarkably free from any traffic. The house on the left is Riverside.

15. This is W. Suter' s view of the High Street, looking west and very much en fĂȘte presumably for the Jubilee of 1935 orfor the Coronation of 1937. Severa1 ofthe buildings on the right-hand side were destroyed by enemy action. The notice board (right) is owned by the 4th Battalion Queens Royal Company-Oxted Division.

H H R"E ox O.

16. A Kingsway Series postcard records the High Street shortly before the Great War. Beyond The Wheatsheaf are a coachbuilder and a fishmonger and the Oxted children show their fascination for the photographer. The building housing the coachbuilder has been replaced by a modern featureless residence.

CROWN HILL. OXTED.

17. This is another view of the High Street looking west and was published by W.A. Field (Surrey Series No. 416). Note that The Wheatsheaf has not yet had the modern decorative timbering added to its exterior. BushelI, Watkins & Smith Ltd. was formed by the merger of two Westerham and a Sevenoaks brewery (A. Smith) in 1899. The date ofthe photograph is about 1905.

18. Walter Cox, stationer and newsagent, Post Office, Oxted published this postcard which was posted in New Oxted in 1917. Several soldiers walk down the High Street and an early motor car starts its climb: the hill was macadamised about 1924-25 when the gradient was improved.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek