Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:   Oxted
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3493-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. H. Spillett's coach building business has moved up the hill to the premises which were earlier occupied by the fishmonger (see No. 16). A motor cycle, motor car and lorry give a small indication of the transport revolution to follow in this Kingsway postcard which was posted from Twickenham in 1929. Note Stone Cottage on the extreme right of the picture.

20. This pre-First World War postcard shows the High Street looking west from outside The George. Kenton's fumiture shop may be seen on the left and towards the centre ofthe photo, beyond the cross roads, is The White House which dates from about 1760.

Sand, Lane & "Bell Inn ". Old Oxted.

21. This 1920s view was taken at the cross roads looking north towards Brook Hill and Sandy Lane. The Bell Inn appears to have been built about 1500 and was recorded as The Five Bells in 1805. The building on the left is the Old Dairy.

BROOK HILL. OYTED.

22. This is an Edwardian view of Brook Hill in Field's Surrey Series (No. 419). The two outside stone steps are shown in John Hassell's painting of 1825. The tiles on the upper storey of the house to the extreme right were replaced by plaster about 1910 when it was decided to display more ofThe Bell's original timbers.

23. Further down Brook Hill four children pose for a photographer about 1912. The houses on the left would have only been built in the preceding years and are now obscured by the concrete pillars which carry the A2S traffic along the Oxted by-pass.

-

24. J .B. Lock's postcard of St. Mary's Church shows the massive strength of the tower about 1912. The Church has, in 1986, been vigorously celebrating its novocentenary with a busy programme of activities.

!I 5245

OXTED CHURCH.

25. A Kingsway postcard of about 1912 shows St. Mary's and its burial grounds looking west. Note the churchyard cross to the left of the picture. In the seventeenth century Aubrey, writing of Oxted, referred to the 'church with a handsome spire' but in July 1719 a terrible thunderstorm broke over Oxted and the spire was struck by lightning and destroyed.

26. St. Mary's Parish Church is pictured by S. & W. looking from Court Farm in a postcard, dated August 1912. The farm has now disappeared and has been replaced by some modem homes on the south side of the church. The wagon on the right hand side of the picture belonged to Berry & Sons, com, coal and flour merchants from Oxted, Limpsfield and Caterham.

27. The churchyard cross is pictured about 1912 looking north towards the North Downs and the railway embankment. The inscription reads: In memory of all who rest in this churchyard and of Katherine Emily Hoskins, eldest daughter of Charles Hoskins Master of Barrow Green, Oxted and for 22 years wife of Major E. B. Bengough. She died on 27th June 1908 aged 62 years. The souls of the righteous are in the hand of God.

28. The sight sereens of Oxted Cricket Ground are pictured here on a postcard published by Gregory's Oxted Series which was posted in July 1909. Note St. Mary's Church and the North Downs to the left of the picture. The present Oxted Cricket Club takes its formation date as 1891 although there is a record of Oxted playing Sundridge in 1855.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek