Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:   Oxted
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3493-4
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Oxted in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59. The rustic Pump House, steps and bridge in Woodhurst Lane are shown on this postcard which was posted in New Oxted in 1912. Note also the fine beech trees on the right hand side. The scene has not changed very much today except that only the base of the Pump House remains.

60. Two comfortable houses and a well-tended garden in Rockfield Road make an interesting foreground to Lock's panoramic view of Oxted, published about 1911. The Oxted Chalk Pit can be seen in the centre of the North Downs and note also the railway sidings to the left and the gas holder in the centre of the photograph.

61. A steam vehicle can be seen in the centre of this photograph of the northern end of Chichele Raad which was posted in 1913. The houses on the left are in Barrow Green Raad and the twin gabled house on the right is 44 and 46 Chichele Raad. The North Downs are in the background.

62. Posted from Attwood Cottage, Amy Road, New Oxted in 1919, this postcard shows the mature woodland and miniature waterfalIs in Barrow Green Park. The stream rises in the North Downs and continues its joumey to Old Oxted, by the Wheatsheaf, and then on to serve the Oxted and Coltsford Mills.

63. Barrow Green Court is featured on an Ace postcard which was posted in 1908. It was the home of the influential Charles Hoskins Master and dates from the early seventeenth century. Today it is a Grade One listed building.

64. Another grand house makes a fine subject for an anonymous postcard publisher. This is Ridgeway House standing proudly in front of the North Downs from a card posted from New Oxted in October 1905.

65. Shrubhurst, situated close to the railway south of Hurst Green, makes an imposing appearanee on this posteard whieh was published by the Limpsfield eompany of Webster's about 1912.

66. This summer view of Broadham Green was posted in 1921. The nearby Haycutter public house was, in 1892, owned by the local brewery Bushell & Co and the licensee David Longley served the needs of the labouring class,

67. Merle Common County First School has altered but little from this view published by Richardson and posted in 1916. Today there is no evidence of gardening activity but happily the oak tree sill flourishes. The less handsome corrugated iron shed at the rear can also still be seen by the railway line.

68. St. John the Evangelist's Church is photographed on a Brockes' postcard shortly after it was built in 1912. The church has since undergone an extension to the west (left hand side of photograph). Before 1912 churchgoers would have had to make the journey to St. Mary's, Oxted.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek