Peacehaven in old picture postcards

Peacehaven in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.S. Payne and Eddie Scott
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4542-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Peacehaven in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

I

8. In the earlier days of Peacehaven, 'Kennys Corner Place' , was a well-known mini-centre of commerce. At one time, there were four separate shops at Kennys. It was not untillater that one by one the shops were acquired by one owner. In that one ownership, the building variously saw life as a bridge club, the Premier Social Club, then the Gay Highlander, well-known for its excellent food and wines, and perhaps even more so, for its renowned landlord, Brian Barratt, a boniface of some note, who, with his wife Shirley, turned Kennys Corner into a popular Peacehaven meeting place. It is now the 'Sussex Coaster'.

9. The increase in popularity of Peacehaven in the mid- to late 1920's, with the resultant increase in population, brought with it new businesses. Many of the affIuent chose the South Coast road, and a number of these of course had to fade away during the time of the Great Depression. It was in 1911, that Isaac Henry Wagstaff brought his family down from Keighley in Y orkshire, and he founded one of the very first of the private businesses at Peacehaven. He was trading for many years from this wooden home; itself being one of the very early buildings erected in Peacehaven after the Great War (see picture 3). The family business has grown now to be one of Peacehaven's most prominent and successful businesses.

10. One of the earliest social clubs to be formed in Peacehaven was the bowling club, in Seaview Road, just a few steps from the clifftop promenade. Standing here outside the bowling club are many Peacehaven 'worthies', on the green which sadly no longer exists. The green was donated by the owner of the club for the erection of a Masonic Temple. The club pavilion was later tumed into a social club, and still stands today, little altered, purveying food and drink tD, who knows, perhaps even the relatives ofthe people we see here.

11. It is an old, but nonetheless true saying, that 'great aaks from little acorns grow', When this particular acorn was planted in 1922, it was a small and humbIe tea shop, with occasional sales of sweets and tobacco etc. Mr. Pillinger, the owner, had the enterprise to make the business a success. As time went by extensions and alterations were made to the property, and it was considerably enlarged. Today you can still see the shape of the original house, as shown here, at the southern end ofThe Dew Drop public house, in Steyning Avenue. For many years this was the only 'pub' in Peacehaven, and on the roof for all to see, whether on foot, on the 'bus, or in the air', was the legend: 'Do Drop In to the Dew Drop Inn!' The present Landlord is Jerry Dudeney, who comes from a long line of publicans, and they are particularly associated with 'The Plough' at Rottingdean (see Rattingdean in old picture postcards - Eddie Scott and Tony Payne).

12. Spiritually, Peacehaven's needs were well-catered for. In the very early days the services for worship were held in a depression on the clifftop, at the Bastion Steps approach to the beach - the 'Bears Hide Gap' of yesteryear. A Minister from either Brighton or Newhaven, would conduct local services. As the village grew, services came to be held in a pit in Seaview Avenue, known as 'Joslins Pit', and it performed a valuable service. Later still the first church came to be built (see picture 13). This is the Roman Catholic church in Edith Avenue, now replaced by a new building. The old church still performs a much needed want as a church hall.

13. During the early days at Peacehaven one of the big problems was the lack of made-up roads. For years they just did not exist, only muddy tracks. The Dover Road itself was for years just achalk surfaced roadway and it was not until the early 1920s that this road was made, proving a considerable benefit for travelIers. Much later Roderiek Avenue was made up followed by the 'pilot scheme' of the late 1940s when certain avenues were made up at the eastern end of the town. This picture shows Mayfield Avenue looking from the Coast Road towards the Arundel Road. The building is the early Evangelica! Free Church. It was roads like this that prompted one commentator to observe that 'Peacehaven is a succession of muddy tracks -leading north'.

14. The presence of a bank is like a pulse in a body which is working healthily. It was in 1923 that Barc1ays opened the first bank in Peacehaven, their branch being in a smal! converted bungalow, later to be known as 'Karmit', This was opposite the Hotel Peacehaven. As the town prospered and grew, so did the branch find need for larger premises, and in 1923 they opened their present branch at the junction of Roderiek Avenue and the South Coast Road.

15. The Midland Bank was also present in the formative years of the Garden City, and they opened a smal! branch at South Coast Road in 1923. The bank, regrettably, closed its premises, and it has since then seen life as a printers, hairdressers, and is now a video shop. This is one acorn that did not become a rnighty oak. The premises today can be found on the South Coast Road, opposite Deans carpets.

16. 'Poltesco', on the South Coast Road (opposite the 'Retreat Public House'), was Peacehaven's first guest house and tearooms. Look at the profusion of gorse, where today's pavement would beo 'Poltesco' is still here today as a private house, considerably improved and rnodernised, but easily identifiable. A pleasant feature of this picture is the 'wattle' fencing used by rustics and townsfolk alike because of its cheapness and its ready availability.

?

17. The eelebrated star of stage and screen Gracie Fields spent a lot of time at Peacehaven and Telscombe Cliffs. Her family at one time lived in Roedean, (Brighton) and she firstly acquired for herself a bungalow on the Promenade at Peacehaven. Gracie called her bungalow home 'Canzone del Mare', a name she used later for her home in the Island of Capri. The Gracie Fields Home & Orphanage in Dorothy Avenue in Peaeehaven, was situated between Firle Road and Southview Road. I t is now called Dorothy House, a home for the elderly, run and administered by the loeal church. Gracie also had a fine home for herself and farnily in Telscombe Cliffs Way, which shecalled "The Haven'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek