Peacehaven in old picture postcards

Peacehaven in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   A.S. Payne and Eddie Scott
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4542-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Peacehaven in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

18. In the valley below The Lookout at north Peacehaven is another part of old Peacehaven. ft was in this valley that the International Friendship League was established in 1931. lts founder, Noel Ede, brother ofthe famous Parliamentarian Chuter Ede, set up and opened the first Friendship Camp. The Friendship League exists and thrives today, and proudly boasts of its efforts to promote world peace, and understanding between different peoples. Like 'The Lookout' area, this area also had sometbing special to offer-Iots of land, a chance to enjoy a good life, it was all here, and the company encouraged residents to form their own smallholdings, to breed chinchillas, produce chickens and so on. They even provided free transport once a week, so that the various businesses could take their produce to the Brighton Market - what enterprise! Today it has become the 'in' development area.

19. Cliff Cranes were mounted on wheels, and were equipped with shafts, so as to be drawn by horses or oxen, to the point required. They were fitted with a large basket, which would be lowered over the cliff to reach the ship wrecked mariners. This particular cliff crane (one of 'Johnsons' diff cranes) was stationed at Saltdean for many years, and certainly was still there in 1912. One ofthe earliest mentions of the use of c1iff cranes, was in 1800, the year that H.M.S. Brazen ran aground just of Chene Gap, at what is now known as Peacehaven Heights. There was a terrible gale, and 'The Brazen', a fast sloop of war, piled upon the 'Ave' rock with almost totalloss of life. One hundred and five brave men perished on that terrible night, with ouly one man surviving, and he by some strange irony of fate, was a non-swimmer. The master, Captain James Hanson, was ouly 24 years of age, but nevertheless, he was a widely experienced seaman.

20. The Brazen started life as a fast French privateer, 'The Bonaparte' , but she was later taken as a prize by the Royal Navy, and after modification was accepted into the Royal Navy as a rapid 18 gun sloop of war. She was primarily engaged as a convoy escort and as a patrol vessel defending this part of the coast. After her tragic loss, the limitations and shortcomings of the rescue facilities was realised clearly, and whilst cliff eranes and derricks continued to be used, attention was now tuming to the infant lifeboat and life-car (see picture No. 24). This picture shows 'Brazen' in happier times, and we are grateful to Ted Shipsey for this fine illustration. The original is now on board the current H.M.S. Brazen, being presented by the Newhaven Historical Society in 1985.

21. This, the impressive 'Brazen' memorial, was erected in St. Michael's Churchyard, Newhaven, at the direction of Mrs. Hanson, the young wife of the Captain of that ilI fated ship that was lost in 1800 with the loss of 104 lives - only one man living to 'tell the tale'. Mrs. Hanson remained true to the memory of her husband and died at the age of 103. She came to Newhaven 74 years after the tragic event to see the memorial after its renovation. Brazen foundered on the 'Ave' rock, some 3A mile to the south-west of Chene Gap, Peacehaven.

22. In 1929 another tragedy was narrowly averted using another method rescue. This was the 'rocket firing apparatus' with a 'breeches buoy' being in many respects an extension of Captain Manbys earlier roeket mortar. In the '20s this method proved very successful along the coast and saved many lives. Here we see the 'Nimbo' , an Italian cargo vessel, ashore at the outfall, Portobello. Owing to the tremendous sea the Newhaven lifeboat, Sir Fitzroy Clayton, was unable to get alongside and so the lifesaving gear was brought up from Newhaven and the rescuers quickly effected communication between themselves on the top of the cliff and the stricken vessel. The entire crew were saved.

23. The passage from the stranded 'Nimbo' to the top of the c1iffmust have been ful! of difficulty and danger. The rescued person wouJd be secured into a pair of short tarpaulin 'breeches' being in turn fixed to a life belt. The buoy is manoeuvred up and down by means of a continuous rope cal!ed a 'whip'; a device having a block or pulley at each end. The system is little used today, as Jifeboats once in close proximity to the distressed vessel, can use a similar shipborne device directly making communication with the 'Shermuly' roeket pistol.

24. William Balcombe Langridge was a public notary from Lewes. Research had revealed that he and a partner, Christopher Keil, owned the little known 'Lifeboat Inn' , situated on the north side of the Dover Road, just short of the brow of Telscombe Tye. Mr. Langridge was well-known for his concern with loss of life from shipwreck and it is said that he kept a small 'lifeboat' at the inn that could be lowered down through a shaft in the c1iff to assist those in need. This is a picture of the 'Messenger' and it bears the legend Wm.B. Langridge, Lewes. A little known facet of our early history , well-founded in humanity but totaJly unworkable. Langridge went on to provide Newhaven with its first lifeboat in 1803, and another in 1807. He was assisted financially by Lloyds of London.

25. The Promenade looking east from the beach approach, shows a wide expanse of grass clifftop that has, since the twenties, been eroded by sea and the weather, and it was not until the late 1960's that the local authority provided, at considerable expense, toe revetment works, and undercliff defence works, to arrest the encroachment. In the eentre background ean be seen one of the ornamental promenade shelters. The white spots on the grass are a link with the days of coast blockade, and south coast smuggling. The preventive men who patrolled the coast to prevent smuggling experieneed considerable risk at night, as there was no cliff fence, and so heaps of ehalk were placed along the cliff edge, at regular intervals, thus marking a clear route . This chalk line stretched right along the coast. It was not unknown for the wily smugglers to 're-position' these chalk dots, with resultant loss of life.

26. The barren slopes of Telscombe Tye and the empty clifftop deelare that the building and expansion of the postwar years have not yet reached Saltdean and Telscombe Cliffs. Here, the Dover Road is empty of trafik and a hint at a modern age can be seen in the telegraph poles alongside the wad. A steam crane stands atop the cliff bringing ballast and chalk up from the deserted beach. On the left can be seen the top of the barn and a house in todays Bannings Vale. The remains of a much earlier road can also be seen running from the Dover Road on and over the diff.

27. During the Great War, considerable emphasis was put on fighting the submarine menace, and many small airfields were set up along the South Coast. Peacehaven had just such an airfield through the period 1914 to 1918 and when the war was over Charles Neville hoped to promote aerial pursuits from the site but it was not to beo The main complement was of six De Havillands 6s such as is seen here. The base was part of 242 squadron, headquartered at Newhaven. The airfield was about 550 x 500 yards, amounting to some 50 acres. There were two hangers which were later taken over by the 'company' for their block making works. The Newhaven station was a seaplane base and earlier, Peacehaven had been used as a balloon and kite station.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek