Peterhead in old picture postcards

Peterhead in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Jim Buchan
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Aberdeenshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5503-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Peterhead in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Marischal Streel. The building at the junction with Thistle Street (bottom left corner) was demolished when work began, after Whitsun 1909, to prepare the site for the new Post Office (see No. 40). Shortly befare this card was posted in December 1907, the 'cinematograph' in the Music Hall building, at the far end, was showing 'The Channel Fleet and Horne Fleet Naval Review with H.M.S. "Dreadnought", submarines, and torpedo boats in action', Nearby, at No. 15 Marischal Street, a 61-piece dinner set was on sale at 22/· (!1.lOp); next door, boots and shoes could be made to order at six days' notice; and Fyfe and Duncan, at No. 21, were advertising: 'If you would enjoy your breakfast Bacon or Ham, in perfection, have it cut by our Slicing Machine.' R.H. Smith, at No. 47, was promoting. 'Lamps, OUs, and House Furnishing'.

40. The Post Office. During the 19th century, the Post Office was located in various prernises, e.g. a druggist's shop in the Longate, a dwelling-house in Jamaica Street, and solicitors' offices in St. Andrew Street and Merchant Streel. In 1881, accommodation was provided on the ground floor of the Town House (see No. 36). When this proved inadequate the Post Office was moved to Chapel Street (see No. 37), in 1896. To cope with the increasing volume of work, it was moved again in 1909 to its present site at the corner of ThistIe Street and Marischal Streel. Facilities for handling telegraphic communications and a large telephone room - in anticipation of the Government taking over the National Telephone Company's system in 1911 - were incorporated in the building which, faced with Stirlinghill granite, cost about fS ,000.

41. Newsagent and stationer. This card is undated but circumstantial evidence may point to 1923 or 1924. The pattern being given with 'Home Chat' typifies the 1920's; the 'Sunbeam', with 'Free Red Indian Feather Hats' in its 'GRAND XMAS NUMBER', was first published in 1922; and the newspaper billboards, concentrating on a parliamentary election. feature Lloyd George and 'Widows' Pensions'. Window displays and advertisements for 'Private Christmas Cards' and a 'Xmas Club' heraId the coming of Christmas. Parliamentary elections were held on 6th December 1923; then on 29th October 1924, after which the new government introduced widows' pensions. The next election was not untîl May 1929. John Millar. pictured with his assistants at 41, Marischal Street, later moved to premises at the other si de of the streel.

42. Courthouse and Library. When an additional Sheriff Substitute for the County of Aberdeen was appointed in 1841, there was a strong lobby for his being resident in Aberdeen. Supported by the Merchant Company (see No. 2), there was alocal campaign in favour of Peterhead. This was successful and accommodation in the Town House was reserved for the use of the new Sheriff and bis clerk. In the mid-1860's, it was suggested that the Sheriff be transferred to Aberdeen. The Peterhead lobby countered this and on 16th August 1869, the foundation stone was laid for a custom-built Courthouse on Queen Street. Designed by an Edinburgh firm of architects, the building was of local granite and cost f2,600 when completed in 1871. When, over a century later, it was extended, granite had to be importedfrom Sweden.

43. Library and Museum. In 1890, the ratepayers in the town adopted the Public Libraries Act and so once a Library was built it could be maintained by assessment on the rates. It was decided to display, in the same building, the collection of coins, antiquities, and Natural History items bequeathed to the Town in 1850 by Adam Arbuthnot. The foundation stone of Peterhead Public Library and Arbuthnot Museum was laid by Mrs. Carnegie, on a site on the corner of St. Peter Street and Queen Street, on 8th August 1891. (Andrew Carnegie, the Scottish-American industrialist, gave over fl,500 to the building fund). Planned by Duncan McMiIlan, an Aberdeen architect, the building cost i5,000 and was opened to the public on 12th October 1893. The Methodist Chapel, built in 1866, stands on Queen Street to the right of the Library.

44. Queen Street. This scene is typical of the years before the First World War, when the Dundee Equitable Boot Depot, at No. 1, was advertising that 'Orders by Post, Carrier, Meal Cart, or Fishwife, when accompanied by remittance, will receive prompt attention'. Across the street, Philip's Popular Bargain Stores offered 'Special discount on all Marriage Outfits', while at No. 8, A. and W. Scott claimed to be 'The Leading Fashion Centre in Buchan' with 'Dressmaking and Millinery on the premises by Experienced Hands'. Gramophones - as used by the Queen of Spain and the famous singers, Patti and Melba - were available at No. 15, where melodeons were on sale at 3/· (15p) to i8.8/· (i8.40p). Same of the cards used in this book originated in Hutcheon's Studio at No. 3 or, at No. 40, in the studio ofJ. Shivas and Son.

45. Queen Street. Looking towards the north end of the street, with its granite-built, semi-detached villas, this pre-1914 card shows the frontage of two ofthe three churches built on Queen Street in the 19th century. (The Methodist Chapel appears in card No. 43). In the middle distance, with its two smaJl spires, is the Presbyterian Church, which was built in 1870 and became the East Parish Church seven years later. (It is now St. Andrew's Church.) The Congregational Church, also built in 1870, is the second building on the right.

0>01 ?

BALMOOR TERRACE. PETERHEAO.

46. Ba/moor Terrace. As the town expanded northwards, feus we re allocated on Bairnoor Terrace, shown here before 1911. The Town Couneil had widened the Terrace as a project to provide work for some of the unemployed men in the town, The Merehant Company had agreed, in 1890, to lease part of Raemoss Park to some local gentlemen - the Reereation Park Committee - for the purpose of providing facilities for sporting aetivities. The wall around the park, opened by Provost Smith on the day the foundation stone of the Library was laid (see No. 43), is at the bottom right. The town's 'Dung Depot' - the contents of which were sold to farmers by public roup - which was formerly sited ne ar the Muckle Kirk and then the Roanheads, was moved from the vicinity ofthe park te the east bank of the Collieburn, in 1886.

47. The windmill. The local contributor to the First Statistical Account of Seotland, published in the 1790's, mentioned a windmill 'on a smal! eminenee, for grinding malt and whieh lately, by a smal! addition to the machinery, strikes pot (pearl) barley'. It seems to have been a vaulted tower mil!, a type apparently peculiar to Seotland in the 17th and 18th centuries. The stone tower, above a stene-built vaulted cellar, had a movable wooden windcap, which was turned by hand to move the sails into the wind. Disused sinee the early 19th century, the windmil! stood at the top of Balmoor Terrace, which is still known loeal!y as Windmil! Brae. The truncated tower, shown here in the 1880's, was demolished to make way for houses built for the loeal constabulary in the 1930's.

48. Windmill Brae. Peterhead railway station, with the Great North of Scotland Granite Company's works nearby, lies beyond the field of stooks of com sheaves. The station, for the Formartine and Buchan Railway which linked the town with Aberdeen, had been opened in July 1862. The Formartine and Buchan line was taken over by the Great North of Scotland Railway Company in 1866. In 1896, it built new sidings between Port Henry and the Roanheads (see No. 64) for a truncated harbour extension line, which previously had gone as far as the South Harbour. Additions to Peterhead Academy (see No. 60) and the Community Education Centre now occupy the site of the station, which was closed in 1965 as part of the nationwide cuts proposed by DI. Beeching. Houses in Landale Road are beyond and to the right of the Academy.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek