Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Auteur
:   Kenneth Crowhurst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5629-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

17. Beach Villas in winter. Portishead rarely gets mueh snow, so when a fair amount fell one winter, Erie Wright took the opportunity to photograph some Ioeal ehildren throwing snowballs in Beaeh Road.

18. Marine Lake and Battery Point (MIT). In September 1893 the Clevedon Mercury stated that a proposal had been put forward to create a freshwater lake in the Iow-lying fields between the Esplanade and Adelaide Terrace - the area known as Rodmoor . In May 1900 the Mercury reported that Bristol surveyors had actually pegged out roads and a serpentine lake on Rodmoor , but due to the state of the City's finances, it was decided that the expenditure could not be justified, and it was not until1909 that a decision was finally made to proceed with the construction of Portishead's Marine Lake. Work commenced on 26th J anuary 1910 and the new lake was filled on 11 th May 1910, taking only 105 days. It provided work for Bristol's unemployed, some of whom travelled to Portishead daily by train - over 200 men were employed, working in two shifts. Eric Wright's postcard view, probably taken in the spring of 1911, shows a large number of visitors enjoying the Esplanade and-new Marine Lake.

19. Nore Road and top of Beach Hill (MIT). Onee again, E.H. Wright has included some young people in bis photograph - this one was taken around 1907 at the junction of Nore Road and Beach HilI, and includes a distant view of Adelaide Terrace. A fly is standing alongside the stone-walled triangle which was eonstrueted in October 1900 to improve road safety at this junetion at the foot of Russell's Hili, as it was then ealled. The triangle became known as Lorymer's 'Rest' or 'Park', after Mr. E.G. Lorymer who was Chairman of the Urban District Couneil from 1898 to 1901. It was originally hoped to have an ornamental drinking Iountain there, but apparently no donor came forward.

20. A Pretty Bit of Mariners' Path. Mariners' Path runs along the coast from Portishead to Clevedon, and there is still a bridge at this point crossing the little stream which flows into Kilkenny Bay, below the former Golf Club House. At the beginning of the century, the foreshore below this bridge was the Ladies' Bathing Beach. Men had to use the Loaf of Bread beach further along.

21. Nore Avenue. This view was taken around 1911 from where the present-day Raleigh Rise joins Nore Road, looking towards Redcliffe Bay along the magnificent tree-lined avenue which stood there for over a century. Until 1905, Nare Raad reached only as far as the National Nautical School, which was then in course of construction. It was then extended to meet Down Raad to imprave access to the Redclîffe Bay Estate, which was at that time being developed through a number of land auctions. Most of the original trees had to be felled for safety reasons, and the last one blew down in the winter gales in January 1990.

22. Edge of the sunlit wood. This path led down the gIen from Nore Road to the BIack Nore lighthouse, and was considerably wider then than it is today, when it runs behind the gardens of the houses in Glenwood Rise. The railings on the left of this photograph form the boundary of the National Nautical School, and in the distance, through the trees, can be seen the school beathouse. The Clevedon Mercury printed a lengthy protest letter under the heading 'Vandalism at Portishead' in August 1904, complaining about the hideous iron railings and the destruction of one of the most beautiful spots close to Bristol. The writer also compIained that the coastaI footpath had been reduced to a width of onIy twelve inches where it passed the school.

23. Nightingale Valley Road. Taken around 1913, EHW has asked two passing lady cyclists to pose for hirn with their machines in Nightingale Valley Road. Victorian and Edwardian Guides to Portishead extolled Nightingale Valley and told their readers that this was a most romantic spot not to be missed: ' ... the woods rise on either side for half a mile, musical with the song of birds (the nightingale sings here, truly enough, in one of its most westerly haunts, at the due season), and lovely alike in every quarter of the year. In spring the valley is a carpet of primroses; in autumn the colours are a sight to remember.'

LOCAL ARCHITECTURE

24. St. Peter's Church. EHW took this view of St. Peter's Church around 1918. The building on the right was the public mortuary at that time. The church clock , which has only three faces, was first proposed to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee in 1887, but the proposal was defeated at a vestry meeting held in January that year in favour of a promenade around WoodhilI Bay. However, the matter was raised again at another vestry meeting in November 1889 and some f200 was raised by subscription to cover its purehase and installation. The order was placed with Messrs. J. Smith & Sons, Derby, and the chiming doek was installed and started in April 1890. Six of the eight bells in the tower were reeast by Abraham Bilbie at the Chew Stoke foundry in 1772 (it seems likely that there were five bells before 1772 and that these were recast into six by Bilbie). The other two were bought with funds raised by the bell-ringers of Portishead in 1897 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee - the beils were bought from John Taylor & Co., Loughborough.

25. St. Peter's Church (Interior) (KW). In 1907, the iron screen at the chance! entrance was removed from St. Peter's and transferred to St. Barnabas', West Hili (the iron church). It was replaced by a new oak screen following alterations made to accommodate the new two-manual organ donated by Mr. W.A. Todd (churchwarden). Eric Wright probably taak this photograph shortly after the installation of the new screen.

26. Old musical instruments, St. Peter's (Ne). The gallery over the south porch originally faced outwards and would have been used for choral singing on special occasions during the year. Early in the nineteenth century, it was reversed to accommodate the barrelorgan shown in this photograph - the church's first organ bought secondhand in the 1820s. The Clevedon Mercury reported in March 1903 that it had been put on display in the old organ loft together with a large drum, several brass wind instruments and some candle standards.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek