Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Auteur
:   Kenneth Crowhurst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5629-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

37. St. Joseph's Church (NC). The Friars' first temporary chapel was built in front ofthe large house occupied by them, but it must have been pulled down when the present church was built by the local builders Messrs. G. Biss & Sons. The foundation stone of the building, 72 feet long by 26 feet wide, with a bell turret on its west gable, was laid on 16th November 1886. It was completed by March 1887, and was dedicated on the Feast of St. Joseph, 19th March, in a service presided over by the Hon. and Right Rev. the Bishop of Clifton. The altar, tabernacIe and statues from the old Friary chapel were installed in the new church, and two further statues were added - St. Francis and St. Anthony of Padua. Outside the church, three Scots pines were planted in honour of the Blessed Trinity.

38. The Convent (MIT). The first school in Portishead for Catholic children seems to have been at Church Villa, the house of a Mrs. Woodrow, one of the first converts. In 1887 the school moved to the stone cottage by the church, (the Franciscan Friary shown on a previous page), and remained there until1906. ft was then that the Sisters of the teaching order of La Sainte Union des Sacrés Coeurs purchased the large house known as Rose Hill, built during the 1820s. In November 1906 the 'Mercury' reported that after Christmas, the Sisters would be opening 'a preparatory boarding school for boys and a boarding school for girls. They will also receive day pupils'. This E.H. Wright photograph taken in 1912 shows two boys watching some young ladies playing croquet on the lawn in front of Rose HilI.

STUDIO & WEDDING

39. Annie Wright and bridesmaids (KW). Eric Wright and Annie Beacharn were married at the Wesleyan Chapel in Paulton, near Bath, Annie's home village, on 7th June 1912. Annie was attended by Winifred Tripp and Doris Small, two of her Sunday School pupils at the Wesleyan Chapel in Portishead. As there were no photographs taken at Paulton after the wedding, Annie and her bridesmaids dressed up again on the following day and had their photographs taken by Eric in his studio in the High Streel. After leaving school, Winifred worked for a time as a photographer's assistant in Eric's business.

40. Wedding of Rev. H.S. Briggs and Miss M.E.N. Jukes (EH). On 20th April 1915, the marriage took place at Portishead Parish Church of the Rev. H. Spencer Briggs, curate of the parish, and Miss Mary (Molly) E.N. Jukes, the second daughter of the Rev. H.W. and Mrs. Jukes, of Portishead Rectory. The 'Mercury' reported that it was a quiet wedding on account of the war. The young Miss Jukes was a keen sportswoman, playing tennis and running boys' cricket and football teams, but her lifelong interest was bellringing, and she was a member of the Bath and Wells Diocesan Ringers Association for over seventy years. In 1915 she helped to set a record peal of Grandsire Tripies rung by eight Iadies of the same tower, St. Peter's.

41. Elizabeth Briggs and Denis Wilde (EH). Elizabeth was the eldest of three children born to the Rev, and Mrs. Briggs. Eric Wright took this charming studio photograph of Elizabeth and her cousin Denis Wilde dressed in the sailor suits fashionable at the time.

42. Lucy, Annie and Kenneth Wright (KW). This family photograph of Eric Wright's mother Lucy with his wife Annie holding the young Kenneth Wright was taken by Eric in 1916.

43. Kenneth Wright (KW). Eric kept various props in his studio to add interest to his photographs; on this occasion he sat his nephew Kenneth in a wheelbarrow to create this delightful child study.

GROUPPHOTOGRAPHS

44. Somerset Scouts -1st Portishead (EH). E.H. Wright photographed the local scouttroop about 1918 - the lady on the right is Molly Briggs.

45. The Gipsy Encampment. The pupils posing around their maypole were from St. Barnabas' School on West Hili. The teacher standing at the rear in the centre was Miss Ju!ia Turner, who was bom in 1879 and, when a child, was No. Ion the St. Barnabas' school register. She subsequently became a pupil teacher and taught there for a total of forty-nine years.

46. Victor's Merry Pierrots (MIT). Mr. Victor first made application to the Council in May 1913 to bring his troupe of Merry Pierrots to Portishead. Apavilion capable of holding about 130 people and lit with acetylene lamps was erected in the Esplanade Gardens at Battery Point, and they entertained residents and visitors with an ever-changing programme from June to September that year. Admission was free, but chairs were charged for -Zd., 4d. and 6d.; (children half-price). The troupe comprised Bobbie Graham (comedian), Miss Lily Dene (soubrette), Miss Clarice Owen (soprano), Harry Clive (ragtime singer), Charlie Charlton (light comedian) and Miss Millie Searle (character comedienne). The 'Mercury' reported their entertainment as 'particularly high toned and inoffensive'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek