Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Auteur
:   Kenneth Crowhurst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5629-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

47. Handbill [or Victor's Merry Pierrots (PC). In addition to their regular entertainment programmes, the Pierrots put on special evenings of 'character' performances. During the course of the 1913 season they staged 'a Nigger entertainment' with everbody in black make-up (a practice not allowed nowadays), and other theme nights such as 'Irish', 'Military', 'Dutch', 'Coster' and 'Japanese'. They put on a 'Football' night in aid of St. Peter's A.F.C., and ended the season with a Grand Farewell Concert in the Assembly Hall.

48. The Tripp Family (lH). This Tripp family photograph was taken around 1912 by EHW outside their home 'Meadowbank' (also known as 'The Iron House') just off the High Street. From left to right:

Laura, William, Winifred, Stanley, Annie and Joyce. The family had strong connections with the Wesleyan Chapel in Portishead, where William Tripp was appointed choirmaster in 1891, an office which he performed for over fifty years. Joyce took over as organist from Eric's mother Lucy Wright in 1923 and played there until 1960. Winifred Tripp was in Annie Beacham's Sunday School class and was one of Annie's bridesmaids wh en she married Eric in 1912.

49. The Wright [amily (KW). This Wright family photograph was taken around 1916 when the Rev. Henry and Lucy Wright were living at 3, Linden Villas in WoodhilI Road. With them are their daughters Constance and Irene and Eric's wife Annie.

NEWS AND EVENfS

50. P.S. Albion ashore at Black Nore 1st April1907 (MIT). The 'Clevedon Mercury' reported that the arrangements for the 1907 Easter boliday passenger traffic in the Bristol Channel were much interfered with by the fog and that on Easter Saturday the Red Funnel Line's 'Gwalia' had struck a rock rounding the Horseshoe Bend in the R. Avon. The fog was even more dense on Easter Monday when Campbell's 'Albion' was en route from Newport to Bristol with between 300 and 400 passengers and went ashore near the Black Nore lighthouse. She fortunately struck a patch of gravel, missing a ledge of rocks by only twenty yards, and suffered very !ittle damage - the worst misfortune was the breakage of some crockery aboard! The passengers disembarked using the bow gangway shown in the photograph, and many continued their journey by train. In the evening she was refloated, to much cheering, with the assistance of seven tugs, just as the Nautical School doek was chimingnine.

51. The great mill fire 11thJune 1911 (KW). This postcard was sent to Mr. and Mrs. Wright byEric just after the firewith the following message: 'Just to give you an idea of the fire which raged here on Sunday. I have a big run on them. Started about 3.30 Monday morning and had a number on sale by about 10 a.m. same morning. Have a set of seven views. Love from Eric.' One of his photographs was published in the 'Clevedon Mercury' to illustrate the news report - this was the only occasion that the 'Mercury' made use of an EHW photograph.

52. Machinery in ruins after mil! [ire 11th June 1911 (MJT). Bai1ey's flaking mill occupied three separate buildings in the north-east corner of Portishead Docks. When flames were seen around 2 p.m., the Iocal Fire Brigade was summoned but was unable to make any impression on the fire, which spread with aIarrning rapidity; the firemen were handicapped by the low pressure of water in the mains, but did manage to prevent the flames from reaching the boiler and engine house at the rear of the mill. It was not until6 p.m. th at additional water could be brought to bear on the fire - it was supplied by the powerful pumps of the 'Bulldog", Bristol Corporation's salvage vessel, which entered the doek as soon as the state ofthe tide permitted. Even with this help, it was realised that the fire would have to burn itself out. The fire was still smouldering four days later, and it was estimated that over flO,OOO worth of damage had been done, besides throwing twenty men out ofwork.

53. Infants outside Infant School during visit of H.S.H. Prince Louis of Battenberg 14th May 1912. Portishead was all agog on 14th May 1912 for the visit of Admiral H.S.H. Prince Louis of Battenberg in conneetion with the formal opening and dedication of the new Nautical School Chapel. The Infant School teachers Miss Brooks and Miss Hunter and overfifty of their pupils apparently joined in the celebrations, lining up in front of their school 10 wave to the Prince as he passed by in his motor car. The school was built in 1840 and infants were taught there for some seventy-five years. The clock was donated in 1903 by the Rev. J. Honnywill in memory of Emma and Julia Honnywill, who took an active interest in the work of the school for many years.

54. H.M.S.sJasonand Leda (KWS). Around 1913, Portishead Doek received a visit from H.M.S.s Jason, Leda, Gossamer and Skipjack - this EHW photograph shows the first two passing through the loek as they enter the doek. These Alarm Class torpedo gunboats, each displacing 810 tons, were both completed in 1893, but in 1908/9 they were converted to minesweepers. Jason was mined in 1917 but Leda survived the war, onlyto be broken up in 1922. Duringthe First World War, Police Sergeant Upham had to visit every ship docking at Portishead to check for aliens; Eric Wright used to accompany him to take their photographs.

55. Mazawattee cart and zebras. In July 1914, the loeal villagers were astonished to see in the High Street the advertising cart drawn by four zebras to promote the sale of Mazawattee Tea: 'A blend specially flavoured with tea from the sweet-scented island Ceylon which produees the most luscious tea in the world.' Eric Wright took this unusual photograph of the cart outside Mr. Huntley Harris' grocery shop (he is the man in the straw boater), with his daughter Winifred sitting on one of the zebras. The writer also has in his collection another photograph of the team taken in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. This advertising postcard declares: 'It is weH known that the zebra is one of the most difficult animals to train. These have been trained from birth. It can therefore be seen what a great difficulty there must have been in training them to run in harness.'

56. Peace Day Procession. Three days after the signing ofthe armistice on 11th November 1918, Portishead celebrated the event with an impromptu procession along the High Street, culminating with the burning of an effigy ofthe Kaiser. The main celebration took place some months later, however, on 19th July 1919, when a grand procession was organised, involving all of rhe local organisations and many demobilised soldiers and saiJors. The 'Mercury' described it as the lengthiest procession ever known in Portishead along streets profusely decorated with flags and bunting. Two things marred the celebrations - the first was an accident at the start of the procession, when part of Mr. F.H. Halliday's workshop chimney stack was brought down by the weight of some large flags roped to it; some large stones feil on Mr. Sprules and Mrs. Elkins who sustained cuts and 'severe shakings'. The second was the incessant rain which feil all day, as can be seen in EHW's photograph of the procession passing along the High Street by the White Lion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek