Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright

Auteur
:   Kenneth Crowhurst
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Somerset
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5629-5
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Portishead 1900-1920 / The photographs of E.H. Wright'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

PORTISHEAD AT WORK

57. Black Nore Lighthouse (MiT). This is one of the earliest photographs that E.H. Wright took in Portishead- it was taken around 1900 and shows the Ashfords harvesting seaweed from the beaeh. Clarenee and James, the sons of Joseph and Louisa Ashford, of Blaek Nore farm, are standing by the horse and cart while the young Laura, daughter of Emma Ashford, is sitting on another horse. The 'lighthouse on legs', as it was known, was ereeted by the Trinity House Brethren and was first lit in April 1894. It was operated by the Ashfords who were responsible for visiting it twice a day to extinguish and light its gas lamp, and to wind up the grandfather doek-type mechanism of weights whieh kept the optieal system revolving. It had its own gas storage tank, fed from the village mains, which contained two days' supply so that it would not be affected by any disruptions to loeal customers.

-,

..

58. B. T.S. Formidable (MJT). The Bristol Training Ship 'Formidable' was a familiar sight from 1869 until1906 at Portishead, anchored about 400 yards away from the pier. She was built at Chatham in 1825 - a two-decker of 2,289 tons, originally armed with 84 guns - but saw no active service during her career with the Royal N avy. She was leased to the sponsors of the Bristol Training Ship project and was towed to Portishead in 1869 for the purpose of training 'street arabs' - boys from poor and deprived homes in need of care and proteetion. During the time that she was at Portishead, over 3,500 boys were taken on board and trained; more than half of the boys entered the Merchant service, some entered the Royal Navy, and others entered carpentry or engineering trades.

59. To B. T. S. Formidable, adieu (MiT). In 1889, the Forrnidable's fore-mast, which weighed about 12 tons, was surveyed and found to be in a dangerous condition. A replacement made of iron, weighing about 8 tons, was sent from Devonport Doekyard by rail, and without bringing the ship into doek and without the aid of steam lifting appliances, the men and boys of the Formidable with great skill accomplished the lifting out of the old mast and the stepping of its replacement. The main-mast and mizzen-mast had to be renewed in 1898, and other work was carried out to stem the huIlleaks. Matters came to a head in 1900 when the Formidable was damaged in a severe gale. Fortunately, it was about that time that pub1ic opinion was turning in favour of land-based training establishments and plans were drawn up for a new National Nautical School. The old Formidable fetched f4,3oo at auction in July 1906, and was finally towed away to be broken up on 11th September 1906.

60. Light Railway Station (J B). Authority for a light railway conneetion between three Bristol Channel resorts was given by the Weston super Mare, Clevedon & Portishead Tramways Act of 1885, but it was 1897 before the first train ran between Weston and Clevedon, and another ten years before the line was extended to Portishead. The terminus at Portishead was a simple building, comprising a booking office and a waiting room; a ladies' room was added later. It was reached by a lane off the High Street running through the White Lion archway, which is still there today. Eric Wright took this view a short while after the line was opened in August 1907; it shows the 0-6-0 saddle tank No. 3 'Westen' at the station and some local cab drivers waiting for customers.

61. New bridge and Railway Station (MIT). It was in November 1908 that the 'Mercury' reported that the Great Western Railway was having a footbridge constructed across the Iines by the station as a safety measure. The numbers of men employed at the doek were increasing, and it would remove the risk of accident to those arriving by train who had to cross the tracks to reach the doek. E.H. Wright has attracted a lot of attention from the railway staff when taking this photograph of the new bridge, the signal box and an 0-6-0 Armstrong standard goods dass locomotive.

62. The Nail Factory. Until around 1900, all horseshoe nails were still being made by hand because of the special techniques involved, but then a Norwegian, Clarin Mustad, perfected a machine method for their manufacture. Their machine-made nails were at first distributed by their agent Mr. F. Burris of Bristol, but then they decided to set up their own factory in England and chose Portishead beeause of its good doek, rail and wad connections. Mustads sent some key staff to supervise the construetion of the factory and it eommenced produetion in 1911 using loeallabour - Portishead's first industry. E.H. Wright's photograph shows the newly-completed factory which was served by rail sidings off the W.C. & P. Light Railway line in Portishead.

63. The Doek. Eric Wright took this photograph around 1912 from a raised viewpoint, most probably from the upstairs window of his shop at 2, High Street, looking across the then unfil!ed part of the 'pil!', which used to reach as far as the White Lion before the doek was constructed. The raised embankment across the centre of the view carried the G. W. R. track from Bristol to Portishead station, which is by the footbridge, and the rails on the left connected the G.W.R. to the W.c. & P. Light Railway. The doek appears to be reasonably busy with five steamships and a sailing ship in port.

64. The Doek (Ne). This view of the doek was taken from the Parish wharf looking along the doek towards the entrance loek. EHW's postcard is franked 7th August 1912, the time when steam was taking over from sail. There is only one sailing ship in the doek in this photograph - it is moored at the timber wharf, bebind the steam cargo ship 'Moldavia' , registered at Jonstorp, Sweden, on the right.

PORTISHEAD AT LEISURE

65. The Hoop-la and Swings, Portishead Flower Show (EH). The Flower Show was an important event in Portishead's social calendar, and attracted a lot of support from both villagers and visitors. This photograph was taken at the 1910 Show, held in a field lent by Mr. C.N. CulverweIl (joint Hon. Secretary) next to Battery Road. This particular show was described in the press as one of the best ever held by the Portishead and District Horticultural Society, and enjoyed a record number of entries.

66. Group on Flower Show 'Galloper' (EH). This was taken two or three years after the previous Flower Show photograph - Eric Wright has posed a number of the stewards on the 'Galloper' .

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek