Redcar in old picture postcards

Redcar in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Sotheran
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5599-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Redcar in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Kirkleaiham Hospital. Sir William Turner built a hospital at Kirkleatham in 1676. The hospital provided homes for ten old men and ten old wamen, who were toa old or frail to fend for themselves. They were usually retired warkers from the Kirkleatham Estates. It also provided a home for ten boys and ten girls from the parish. The wamen and girls lived in the east wing of the building and the men in the west. Statues on the corners of the building indicate their respective quarters. The children we re given a bas ie education in the purpose-built school, now known as the Old Hall and housing Kirkleatham Museum. The last children were admitted to the hospital in 1940 and left in 1946.

10. At the centre of the building is the chapel with its rare one-handed doek. Inside is the original Charter beuring the seal of Charles Il. In a corner stands the death mask of Sir William. On a sunny day the stained glass windows over the altar are a blaze of colours. The picture shows the Chaplain and the Chairman of the Trustees leading the procession of residents to the Chapel on Founders Day.

11. Sir William was a much respected man. To preserve his exact likeness, a wax impression was taken of his face after his death and a full size model of his face and head was cast. It stands, complete with hair of the appropriate colour and dressed in a jacket from Sir William 's wardrobe, in a corner ofthe chapel. The hospital was created as a charitable trust and its rules defined in an Act of Parliament. Sir William Turner's Hospital still provides sheltered accommodation for about thirty retired people , looked after by a full-time warden.

12. Sir William Turners School. Sir William Turner was a wealthy 17th century woolmerchant who had made his home at Kirkleatham. In 1669, as Lord Mayor of London, he watched over the re building ofthe city af ter the Great Fire ofLondon. On his death in 1692 he bequeathed f3,OOO to create a free school. With the money, Cholmley Turner built what is now known as Kirkleatham Old Hall Museum. For some years, the school resided in Kirkleatham Hospital and in 1869 it moved to the purpose-built building pictured above. During the 20th century it was popularly known as Coatham Grammar School. The school stood on the site now occupied by Redcar Central Library.

13. When it was built, the large gable-ended portion at the left with a rose window housed the school chapel. A bell hung in the turret and was rung daily at the beginning and end of morning and afternoon school, until the building closed in the 1960's. When the new School Hall was built (the Coatham Memorial Hall), the chapel was converted into a science laboratory. The opposite end of the building, with two bay windows, was the headmaster's house. In later years, this became the staff room and offices. Behind the colonnade on the groundfloor we re originally the kitchen and dining room. As the school grew, they were converted into classrooms.

14. In the early 1960's, the building was vacated and demolished. The school name was transferred to a new building on Corporation Road, opposite the C1eveland College. In 1975 the name moved again to become Sir William Turner's 6th Farm College on Redcar Lane. The School Hall at the Coatham Raad loc at ion was built as a memorial to farmer staff and students who died in the two world wars. 1t is now the Coatham Memorial Hall. The cloisters which linked the hall te the old building were roofed over as a terrarium in 1978, but became used as a working space when the hall was used for amateur theatrical performances.

15. SI. Peter's Church, Redear. In 1821 St. Germain's Church on the clifftops at Marske was in a dilapidated state and could na langer accommodate the resident parishioners and the many summer vi sitars to Redcar and Marske. The Coast Raad between the two towns did not exist and worshippers travelled either via the beach at low tide or via Redcar Lane to Marske. Two years later an appeal was launched and the foundation stone of St. Peter's was laid. Six years passed befare there were sufficient funds to complete the building. Dedicated in 1829, the church was described as a monument to the benevolence of the Zetland farnily, who provided the site, stone for the building and a generous donation. The four turrets on the tower quickly became a recognised landmark for fishermen.

16. Redcar Pier. The Redcar Pier Company was formed in 1866 with the intention of providing the town with 'a commodious promenade and landing pier'. The plan lay untouched until, in 1870, a plan for a rival pier at Coatham was announced. Such was the rivalry between the communities of Redcar and Coatham. that a suggestion for a single, centrally located pier was never seriously pursued.

17. The first pile of Redcar pier was driven by Admiral Chaloner of Guisborough on 28th August 1871. When complete, the pier was 1,300 feet long and stemmed from the Esplanade opposite Clarendon Streel. The pierhead was 114 feet wide and had sheltered seating around a bandstand and a landing jetty for steamers plying between Middlesbrough and Whitby. The pier was damaged several times by ships driven before storms. In 1899 the bandstand was accidentally burned down. In 1907 the Pier Pavilion was built as a dance and concert hall. During the Second World War a section was removed to frustrate any invasion attempts. Mounting maintenance bills brought about the closure of the pier. In 1980 Langbaurgh Borough Council sold it for f250 for demolition. The decking was removed by Christmas 1980 and the site was c1eared by March 1981.

18. The Pier Pavilion. When the Redcar pier was built, it had only a trioofkiosks at the entrance. One boused the ticket office and the others furnished la dies' and gcntlernen's teilets. The Pavilion was first built in 1907, stopping short of the kiosks. In 1928, the pavilion was extended forward towards tbc Esplanade and tbc kiosks we re incorporated in thc frontage. The new roof line clearly indicates the extension. This picture was taken in 1928 when Miss Phyllis Mary Hollins of Harrogare and seven players were engaged for the summer season. For rnany years after thc Second World War the public daneed to Danny Mitchell and his musicians and were entertained by Freda Hall at her Compton Organ.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek