Redcar in old picture postcards

Redcar in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Sotheran
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5599-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Redcar in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Coatham pier. Despite Redcar pier being built first, construction of Coatham pier commenced in 1873. It was planned to extend al most half a mile out to sea; at 2,000 feet it would be 700feet langer than Redcar's pier. After being damaged in a storm in December 1873, it was completed during 1875. The cast of repairing the storm damage was such that the finished pier was reduced to 1 ,8()O feet in length. Midway along the pier was a pavilion made mainly of glass. Whilst Redcar's pier featured brass bands, the upper class inhabitants of Coatham planned orchestral concerts in their pavilion. A second pavilion, just inside the ent rance gates, housed a roller-skating rink.

20. Coatham pier was built out from Newcomen Tcrrace , immediately opposite Station Road. Having had the pier damaged before it was completed, the Pier Company continued to be dogged by bad luck. In 1898 the barque 'Birger' al most completely demolished the pier, severing the central glass pavilion from the land. Already in financial difficulties, the Pier Company was unable to re store the pier. Instead they dismantled the remains and the following year they ceased trading.

21. Shipwrecks. The brig 'Griffin ' was driven before a storm off Redcar. In the early hours of 9th December 1874, the Griffin crashed through Coatham pier, colliding with the unfinished seaward end. During the same storm, the schoon er 'Corryrnbus' was also driven through the pier and two more vessels ended their journeys abruptly on Coatham sands and the rocks of Redcar. The 'Griffin' and the 'Garibaldi' were refloated, the 'Corrymbus' and the brig 'Express' were lost.

22. Remains of the 'Rose of England' . The sailing ship 'Rose of England was wrecked in 1894 and came to rest where the rocks meet the sand on the central beach. Norrnally, the remains of her huil are covered by sand. Occasionally, a combination of stormy seas and exceptional tides scour the sands away to reveal the keel and the ribs of the huil. Planks from the huillie all around, embedded in the rocks. On these rare occasions when the level of the sand is lower then norrnal, it is also possible to see the rernains of the forest which once extended beyond Redcar into what is now the North Sea.

TH (jARE 8REAKWATER.

REOCAR.

23. The South Gare. One thousand years ago, the mouth ofthe riverTees was a wide delta. lts shallowwaters flowed slowly into the sea. Small sailing ships had difficulty reaching the ports along the river banks. The journey to Yarm, the furthest port, could take up to four days. The state of the winds and tides of ten prevented larger ships travelling up the river. In 1853, to facilitate the move ment of cargo to and from the newly founded iron and steelworks, the river was deepened and its course narrowed. Twenty miles of underwater training walls were created by dumping seventy thousand tons of waste slag from the ironworks.

24. A severe storm in 1863 prompted a call for better proteetion for the river mouth from storm winds. Work on the South Gare commenced in 1863 and was completed in 1888. Slag was carried on a light railway from the nearby iron and steelworks directly to the end of the breakwater. Contemporary records indicate th at work progressed at an average of 23 feet (7 me tres ) per day. The lighthouse is a steel cylinder about 10 metres high. The clockwork mechanisrn and gas light were replaced by e1ectricity in the 1960's. Until the conversion. the lighthouse was manned by two lighthouse keepers who lived in spartan accommodation only fifty metres from the end of the break water .

25. Paddy's hole. When the breakwater was created at Sou th Gare, a sm all sheltered mooring place was created for local fishermen. The protective cmbankments were built with broken slag from the nearby steelworks. A smal! community of wooden chalets grew up to house the fishermen overnight and at weekends. During the Second World War, the military forces took over the area and built a service and command centre for the river mouth defences adjacent to Paddy's Hole. This is now a flourishing marine club with both fishing and sailing sections.

26. The Zetland lifeboat. The Zetland is the wortd's oldest surviving lifeboat. She was not the first lifeboat, but, such were the rigours of lifeboat service, few survived long after being taken out of service. Henry Greathead, the pioneer of lifeboat design, built the boat at South Shields, The huil is 30ft. long by 10ft. wide. Built ofEnglish aak, thc bow and the stern are constructed alike, sa that she could be rowed in either direction. This elirninated the need to turn round in heavy seas and avoided the risk of being overturned whilst broadside on to the waves. There were five oarsmen at each si de and a steersman at each end; the one at the rear of the boat controlling her direction. The original cork buoyancy was replaced quite early in her life by copper buoyancy tanks.

27. Local fishermen provided the volunteercrew. To call them out, a boy was sent round the streets, beating a drum to the rhythm 'Corrie along. brave boys, come along'. After sixty years of service, the 'Zetland' was condemned. Such was local pride in her that the public subscribed to a fund to pay for repairs. The local men were not happy with the new self-righting boat provided by the RNLI. After much debate a second boat, bought at public expense , was stationed at Redcar. On 28th October 1880, during a storm which blew all day and night, the two lifeboats assisted three vessels in various states of distress. Eventually both lifeboats were themselves disabled. Then the brig 'Luna' was driven by the storm right through Redcar pier. Without hesitation, the fishermen launched the trusty old 'Zetland' for her final rescue.

28. An early lifeboat day. The lifeboat is the RNLB 'Brothers', which was stationed at Redcar from 1885 to 1893. There are a surprisingly large number of pleasure boats being rowed out towards Redcar pier. The pier appears to be complete with its original bandstand at the end, but the steamer landingjetty has been removed. This helps to date the picture as being between 1885, when the jetty was damaged by the S.S. 'Cochrane' and subsequently demolished, and August 1898 when the bands tand was accidentally destroyed by fire.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek