Redcar in old picture postcards

Redcar in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Sotheran
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5599-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Redcar in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. The original Esplanade. At the beginning of the 20th century. the promenade was na more than a strip of asphalt, between the road and the beach. In 1903, the Surveyor submitted plans for extending the promenade and building a bandstand and public toilets. The picture shows the Royal Hotel at the extreme left. Next to it is the easily recognised lifeboat house, now the home of the 'ZetlandIifeboat. At the extreme right is a kiosk, all that re ma ins of Coatham pier. Part of the foreshore was leased from the Zetland Estates, the Esplanade pavement was widened and a new sea wall built. Ta this day, there is a difference in the colouring and style of the pavement to distinguish between the public highway and the land licensed from Zetland Estates,

30. The steam roundabout. The Zet land Estates also owned many of the seafront properties. renting them to tenants who of ten took in paying guests during the summer. In 1904, the Council allowed a large roundabout, complete with aloud steam organ, on to the beach. The noise, often late into the evening, upset the seafront guest houses. They in turn complained to their landlord. Lord Zetland. Lord Zetland found the Council unwilling to re move the effending roundabout, as they believed that it helped to draw visitors to the town. After two seasons of complaints, in 1908, Lord Zetland declined to renew the lease of the foreshore to the Council. The following summer, there were no entertainments or stalls on the beach. After a disastrous se ason, albeit a peaceful one , the Council negotiated a new lease, without the steam roundabout.

31. The Pierrots. Throughout the first half of the twentieth century, there was traditional entertainment on Redcar's beach. From the turn of the century until the First World War, the clowns, comedians, singers. musicians, jugglers magicians and performing dogs used a flat platform on the beach. Later a new platform was built, raised about four feet above the beach, to give the audience a better view and to proteet it from unusually high tides. The picture shows Grapho and Jacksons's Merry Minstrels performing in 1903.

32. The Whale on the beach. Over the years, several wh ales have been washed up on the beach. This one appeared in 1908. Lord Zetland. the landowner, was responsible for the seashore and he sent some of his estate workers to dispose of the carcass. It was not an easy task and it took them a couple of days to dismember and dispose of the hulk. The task completed, they crossed the Esplanade to the Royal Hotel for a glass of beer . The stench of the rotting carcass clung to their dothes and the bar room cleared in minutes as other drinkers were overwhelmed by the srnell,

33. The Seacar. Between 1924 and 1932 visitors la Redcar could enjoy a navel ride out to sea in the Se ac ar. The machine was based on a Model-T Ford to which a metal baat-type body had been attached. A smal! propeller is just visible under the stern of the body. There was na rudder, but discs covering the front wheels provided steering. It was owned and operated by Ginger Leigh from Cleethorpes. The fare was one shilling (5p.) for aride starting at the bottom ofDundas Street, down the slipway opposite and into the sea as far as the old lifeboat slipway and returning along the Esplanade to Dundas Streel.

34. The moveable bandstand. The first bandstands in Redcar were on the pier of Redcar and Coatham. Coatham pier was barely established before it was wrecked by colliding ships, The bandstand on Redcar's pier was accidentally burnt down. There had always been a cornpetitive element between the cornrnunities of Redcar and Coatham . They had built separate piers: they had argued long and hard for and against arnalgamation under one local authority. When both bandstands were lost, it was suggested that a centrally [0cated replacement be built. Neither community could agree on its location. The outcorrie was this transportable bandstand on wheels. Between coneerts it was trundled from one end of the Esplanade to the ether!

35. The Bandstand. The Bandstand was originally built in 1905 at a cost of f400. It was extended in 1910 by the addition of the semi-eirele of sheltered seating and the installation of public toilets at a cost of El ,000. Concerts were a regular feature of the summer season 's entertainment. At their height, the road was set out with deckchairs and traffic was diverted round the sm all park opposite. Over the years the Bandstand has been used as a saluting platform for military reviews and for such ceremonies as the naming of a lifeboat. The fine Edwardian wrought iron work survived until the entire structure was removed in 1969 to be replaced by the Beach Centre, more recently turned into a public house.

REDCA"""R.

36. Titty-Bottle Park. Opposite the Bandstand was a small trianguJar park. It was a popular meeting place for the narmies wheeling their perambulators from the villas ofCoatham. Alocal comedian, rejoicing in the stage name of Weary WilIie, nicknamed it 'Titty-Bottle Park'. Each of the flower beds was cut out in the shape of a suite of cards, a heart, a diamond and a club. The gardens proved hard to maintain against the onslaught ofthe sea breezes. After the Second Word War, the area was paved over and in the 1960's public lavatories were built.

37. Redear and District Amateur Operatie Society. The picture shows the Society's first production 'Pirates of Penzance' in the Arcadia Theatre, Redcar, in 1927. The theatre has long since been demolished but stood ne ar Wilton Street, to the east of West Dyke Raad. The Society continues to flourish presenting at least one show, usually in the spring, each year. Fm a brief speil in the 1960's they produced two shows a year. adding either a musical revue or a Christmas pantomine to their annual programme.

38. Sea-coaling. Several of the County Durham coalfields run out under the sea where they ean be seoured by the waves. Many of the coastal mines used to tip their spoil direetly into the sea. The prevailing move ment of the tide is to flow south down the coast, bringing with it the fine coal dust from the tipping and the exposed coal seams. For generations the people of Redcar have raked up the se a-co al from the be ach and used it as a souree of free fuel at home. Until the late 1960's it was a eommon sight to see men wheeJing bicycles with a sack of seaco al through the frame and another over the crossbar .

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek