Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Proclamation of the accession to the throne of King Edward VII on February Ist, 1901 at the Market Cross. The Mayor (Gerald Walker) is reading the forma! proclamation. He is dressed in his full mayoral regalia-eloak, cocked hat (which he holds in his hands) and chain of office. He is supported by two mace-bearers and two ha!berd bearers. With him, be-robed, is the Town Clerk (Christopher Croft) together with other members of the Corporation.

10. Part of the Market Place about 1870. The old rnedieval house is standing at the corner of the entrance to Finkle Street and gives us a glimpse of what most of the houses of Richmond must have been like in the Middle Ages. No timber framed houses survive, Prosperity brought principally by lead-mining in the 18th and 19th centuries resulted in the town being rebuilt and given the mainly Georgian appearance it retains today. The horse-drawn flat cart is off-Ioading goods at Spence's the ironmonger's and shows how this form of transport linked up with the so-called 'tram Iines' for which see further under 45.

11. Richmond Market Hall shown here was built in 1854. On Saturdays it was (and still is) used as a covered market; on other days it was used for a variety of ether purposes. One of these was as a cinema. The fitst picture show to come to Richmond was in 1909 with Randall Williams' Travelling Movies were shown in a marquee erected in the Market Place outside the King's Head Hotel. The next year two enterprising Richmond men erected a wooden building just inside the Cricket Field in Victoria Road where films were shown alternating with music hall turns. In 1911 came the third effort. Thomas Pinder rented the Market Hall from the Corporatien and started a movie show twice nightly at 7 and 9 p.m. Admission was 2d, for which one sat on irnprovised seats, the stalls used by butchers for the Saturday market. The screen was just inside the entrance shown here and was lowered from the roof immediately befere each performance began. The projector, operated by a belt-driven dynamo powered by a petrol engine (electricity had not yet come to Richmond) was at the rear of the hall. The first purpose built cinema in Richmond was opened in 1915.

12. The Unicom Inn was originally in the Market Place, being moved to its present premises in Newbiggin about 1760. After the Battle of Marston Moor near York (July 2nd, 1644) and the rout of the royalists under Prince Rupert, the latter came to Richmond and rallied his broken army there. Tradition has it that he stayed in the Unicom Inn in the Market Place. Shown here is an early meeting of the Richmond Motor Club in 1921 soon after its inauguration assembied on the cobbled road surface of Newbiggin outside the present Unicom Inn. The writer is the small boy wearing a school cap perched on the pillion seat of the side car to the left. With him are his father, mother and two sisters.

13. One of Richmond's greatest attractions is the Georgian Theatre at the junction of Victoria Road and Friars Wynd. It is virtually intact inside and is the most perfect example of an 18th century theatre anywhere in the world. It was built in l788 by Samuel Butler, player-rnanager of one of the many theatrical companies which toured England at that time. He died in 1812 and is buried in St. Mary's Church, Beverley. Early actors were sometimes called barn-storm ers because they often played in barns and other such improvised 'theatres', When Butler built his theatre he was probably influenced by this fact. This picture shows its barn-like exterior in 1930 when it was used as a warehouse. It gives no hint of the splendid decor within which has resulted from the restoration of the theatre in 1960.

14. Richmond Bridge (also called the Green Bridge) was, until 1846, the only bridge in Richmond over the Swale. The bridge shown here was built to the plan of John Carr, the York architect, but the actual work on it was done by two different contractors. The boundary of the Borough of Richmond at this point ran down the middle of the river so that half the bridge (that to the right) was the responsibility of the town while the other half was the responsibility of what was then the North Riding of Yorkshire. In 1788, when the old bridge became so ruinous that it had to be pulled down, the two authorities responsible for it put out different tenders. The Richmond firm of Bennison and Walsh built the Richmond half while John Parkin of Aysgarth built the North Riding half. The building to the left of the bridge was an inn, the Good Intent (see 3) and the chirnney to the right was part of a brewery. The hili on the extreme left is known locally as Mount Arrarat.

lfichl7lond Castte, Yor!(s17ire.

Tbe Wocdoury Series. Xv. 13

15. The most photographed and painted prospect of Richmond. In the 18th century Richmond was a fashionable Georgian town and this promenade was formed around the top of the Castle Bank to take advantage of the vistas of the surrounding woods and landscape. Billy Bank Wood is behind the photographer: the bridge is the Richmond or Green Bridge (see 14). The ruinous buildings on the right were part of a large tannery, pulled down in the 1930's.

16. Bridge Street with the Green Bridge in the background. The be-flagged building was the Bridge Inn (now a private house). The postcard claims (on dubious authority) that it was the oldest public house in England. In 1799, when it was unquestionably a public house, it had the extraordinary name of the TUe Sheds Inn. Being a market town into which people came on business from a wide area round about, there were -and still are- a great rnany public houses. Unti1 World War Two these had to accommodate not only human visitors but large numbers of horses so that extensive stabling was necessary.

17. The Green, showing how the Cast1e dominates this part of the town which lies outside the town walls. From a very early date in Richmond's history this seems to have been an industrial suburb utilizing the water of the Swale. In its long history it has included at least three public houses, weavers' cottages, tanneries, a dye works, a com water mill, a fulling mill, a brewery and a fish curing warehouse. The chestnut tree was planted in 1897 to commemorate the diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria. A large lirnb of this was blown down in a gale early in 1982 and the rest of the tree was felled as it was considered a hazard to public safety.

18. Captured German gun of the Great War (1914-1918) being used as propaganda to raise war loans. The Mayor shown here is William Walton who held the office from 1914 to 1917. He is standing on the steps of a fountain (now removed) which was erected in the lower part of the Market Place in 1887 on the occasion of Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. This part of the Market Place was in times past known as Coal Hill. Why we do not know. In the 18th century large quantities of coal were brought into Richmond from the coal fie1ds in south-west Durham and it may be that there was some sort of depot in which they were stored at this part of the Market Place.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek