Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. The imposing keep of Richmond Castle built about 1146 over the original gateway of the Castle (1071). The Russian cannon (see 61) is in front of a building which comprised the prison block of the barracks built in the Castle bailey in 1855 (see 21). During the Great War (1914-1918) conscientious objectors were imprisoned there and have left some remarkable graffiti on the cell walls.

~-

./ ';~. -":",,.

20. The chirnneys and ruined building in the foreground alongside the river were the remains of a paper mill which flourished there from 1856 until 1902. lt was built by James Cooke, the son of the Henry Cooke who built the Whitcliffe Paper Mills (see 65). In the 18th century smal1 paper mills grew up around most market towns to produce brown and white paper for commercial purposes. In the Richmond area several generations of the Cooke family were responsible for such enterprises. Very little of the building now remains. Immediately behind the chirnney is a gasometer. This is a reminder that gas was installed in Richmond as early as 1821 through the enterprise of five locaI businessmen who founded the Richmond Gas Light Company with an initial capitalof t2,500. This Richmond gasworks is not only one of the oldest in Great Britain, but also in Europe.

21. Richmond Castie from the south, On the extreme left inside the castle bailey is a long building which no longer exists, lt was built in 1855 at the time of the Crimean War as barracks for militiamen and is typical of the rather forbidding, battlemented architectural style then considered appropriate for such buildings. The room at the southern end overlooking the river has associations with Lord Robert Baden-Powell, the founder of the Scout Movement. He used it as an office and living quarters from 1910 until 1912 when he was General Officer commanding the Northumbrian Division of the Territorial Army. As a result of his stay in Richmond a Scout Troop was founded there. lt still flourishes and must represent one of the oldest in the country.

22. This shows an outerop of the natural rock on which the Castie was originally built. This, the so-called Castle Walk, was made in the 18th century when 'promenades' such as this were fashionable. Most of the buildings of 'old' Richmond which still remain date to the 18th century which was a period of great prosperity in the place.

23. The building in the left foreground was a corn water mill rebuilt about 1790. Being near the Parish Church, it was called Church Mill to distinguish it from the much older Castle Mill a little higher upstream near the falls at the Force (or Foss) Head. Church Mill was demolished in 1969 and the area landscaped to make a picnic area beside the river. The bridge was built in 1846 to link the Railway Station (off the picture to the right) to the town which is to the left. Actually the station is outside the Borough of Richmond being in the township of St. Martin's. The bridge, still called the Station Bridge by the older inhabitants of Richmond, was re-named the Mercury Bridge in 1975 'to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Royal Corps of Signals in Catterick' to quote part of the inscription on a plaque now on the bridge.

GRAI'I'ER SCHOOL-RICHf'OND

24. This, originally the Grammar School, is now part of Richmond Comprehensive School. The part nearest the camera was built in 1850 as a memorial to James Tate, the celebrated Master of the School from 1796-1833, at which time the school was in the churchyard. During these years Richmond School was recognised as one of the three best classica! schools in England. Most of Tate's pupils went to Trinity College, Cambridge where they were known as "Iate's Invincibles' because of their academie prowess. Two of his pupils became archbishops - one of Y ork and the other of Armagh in Ireland. For the last ten years of his life Tate was a Canon of St. Paul's in London. He was buried in the crypt of that cathedra! in 1843. The projecting wing to the west was added in 1860. The architect of the original building (George T. Andrews) was also the architect of the Railway Station. In both designs he was at great pains to make his buildings match the 'medieva!' character of Richmond.

25. The Convent of Our Lady of Peace was founded in Reeth Road in 1850 by Sisters of the Congregation of the Assumption of Our Lady, whose French foundress, Mother Marie Eugenie de Brou, was one of the leading educationalists of her time. The original house offered to the sisters by the Duchess of Leeds, for the foundation of an orphanage, is still in use, and is known as "The Hermitage'. The orphanage soon evolved into a school. The Duchess granted the sisters the use of a strip of land between the river Swale and the present Reeth Road (then called Mill Lane) for the education of girls. The main Convent building (shown here) was started about 1860 and has received many additions up to the present day, The school is an independent boarding and day school of about two hundred and fJfty girls, mainly for Roman Catholics, although members of other Christian denominations are also welcomed. The Convent's fust Superior was the Irish co-foundress Mother Therese Emmanuel (O'Neill), who was succeeded two years later in 1852 by Mother Ignatia Burchall, herself a native of Richmond.

Wiffance Beap, .Jèicfzmond, Yorks ("

Tho." Spencer, Richmond, Yorb

26. Richmond is often referred to as 'the gateway to Swaledale'. This scene, taken from Willance's Leap (see 42), shows the lower part of Swaledale a mile above Richmond. The road on the left of the river, which is now the principal route from Richmond to Reeth and Keld (the head of Swaledale), is relatively modern being built in 1836 as a turnpike road. The older medievallink between Richmond and the upper parts of the Dale was by a much more hilly and circuitous road just off the photograph to the right. This climbed over one thousand feet above sea level and went past the Racecourse and the Beacon.

27. Members of the Yorkshire Archaeological Society on their visit to Richmond in 1904. The photograph was taken from the foot of the CulIoden Tower (see 28) and gives a splendid view of the Bargate, Green and Castle HilI area of Richmond. The chimney on the extreme right is that of the paper milI near the Foss Head (see 20).

The Ternple and Green, Richrnond.

28. The so-called Temple on the hillside is more correctly known as the Cumberland or Culloden Tower. It was erected soon after 1746 to celebrate the victory of the Hanoverian King George II over the Jacobites. It was built by John Yorke whose mansion was on the site of the group of buildings on the left. The architect of the tower was probably Daniel Garrett. Yorke -a staunch Hanoverian and one of Richmond's two members of Parliament- obviously had much to lose if the rebellion of 1745-46 had led to the restoration of the exiled House of Stuart. The carved woodwork and plasterwork in the tower is exquisite and was most tastefully resto red by the Landmark Trust in 1982. The group of buildings from which smoke is coming were built about 1774 as the coach house and stables for the Y orke mansion. The mansion was demolished in 1821 soon after the Richmond branch of the Yorke family died out. The stabie block was converted into small cottages and they too were pulled down ab out twenty-five years ago.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek