Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Records show that, over the centuries, Richmond has had no less than sixty differently named public houses: now there are fourteen. Long forgotten names of interest are the Cleaver of Chopping Knife, Dainty Davy (named after a racehorse), Elephant, Gaping Goese, Griffin, Nag's Head and Tile Sheds, The Bishop Blaize, shown here, reminds us of the importance of Richmond in the past as a market for wool and woollen goods. Bishop Blaize was the patron saint of woolcombers. In the 18th and early 19th centuries Swaledale and Wensleydale were famed for their home-knitted gloves, stoekings and caps.

30. Despite its hilly nature, Richmond folk have long been interested in cycling: records exist of cycling races being held as early as 1869. In 1892 the first so-called Cyclista Meet was held in Richmond. Cyclists assembied in the town from a wide area in the North-East of England for the Whitsuntide weekend when a varied programme of social and sporting events was arranged. This was known as the North Yorks. and South Durham Cyclists Meet. It has continued, with certain changes as to its timing in the year and the content of events from 1892 until the present day (with breaks during the two World Wars). One of its main features was (and still is) the carnival procession through the town. Here part of it is passing the Cinema in 1930. The Cinema was built in 1915 (see 11). It will be noted that The King of Jazz, one of the earliest talking pictures ever made, is one of the feature films advertised.

31. This so-called New Road was opened up about 1760 as a more commodious entrance to the town from the area of the Green. Previously it was nothing more than a narrow, circuitous passage-way called Carter's Lane. The area in the foreground was known as Sparrow Nook, taking its name from a Henry Sparrow who once lived nearby, In medieval times the route from the bridge was up Bargate turning into Finkle Street where stood one of the two main gateways into the Market Place through the town walls. The other gate was in Frenchgate. Both have gone, but two po sterns still survive (see 38 and 39).

32. St. Mary's, the Parish Church of Richmond, from the south. The church has two piers of 12th century date indicating a Norman origin for the building, but it was considerably restored by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1867. The tower dates from about 1390. The churchyard has some very interesting tombstones: there are two Waterloo veterans, an emigrĂª cleric who fled from France as a result of the French revolution, and many loca1 worthies associated with the Corporation, Grammar School, Georgian Theatre, Paper Mills etc. From 1567 until1850 the Grammar School stood in the north-east corner of the churchyard: a plaque in a nearby wall marks the site.

33. Trinity Chapel in the Market Place dates back to the 12th century. It houses the curfew bell which used to be rong at 8 p.m. and -traditionally- dated back to Norman times. This same bell was also the 'passing bell' being tolled when anyone in the town died, Three strokes indicated a child, six a woman and nine a man. The name and address of the dead person was then pinned on a piece of paper on the door of the Town Hall. Until recently, when it became the Regimental Museum of the Green Howards, the chapel was a never ending souree of wonder to visitors because of the existence of one shop between the tower and the nave and ethers underneath the north aisle. The cloaked figure in the foreground is the town-cryer. Not only did he give notices of public meetings and broadcast information of general concern to the townspeople, but would -for a fee- advertise shopkeepers' wares especially any special deliveries such as fish for which a quick sale was essential.

34. During its long history Richmond has been granted many charters, some by the Earls of Richmond and some by the Crown. An important one was granted in 1329 by King Edward Ill. The 600th anniversary of this was celebrated in 1929. Part of the celebrations consisted of ox-roasting in the Market Place. The butchers of the town joined together to supervise the ceremony, They are shown here with the ox and other officials who organised the function. The 1929 Pageant took place on the sloping ground below the Culloden Tower (see 27), known in the past as Tenter Bank. Here tenters -wooden fences with hooks attached- were erected on which the cloth woven in the Green area was stretched, one of the processes in its manufacture.

35. This shows Richmond Market Place from the High Row about 1910 showing the Toll Booth, now demolished. The obelisk (or Market Cross as it is generally known) is on the site of the medieval Cross pulled down in 1771. Note too the shops (now demolished) nestling around Trinity ChapeL The chancel of the chapel has been retained for religious purposes and a weekly service is held there, but the rest of the building has been converted into the Regimental Museum of the Green Howards. The obelisk built by Robert Plummer, alocal stone-mason, has below it a reservoir capable of containing 12,000 gallons of water. The latter came from springs at Aislabeck, two miles west of Richmond and which, until 1837, constituted the sole source of the town's water supply, This reservoir is presumably one of the reasons giving some credence to the legend of the Drummer Boy (see 49).

36. For centuries Richmond has been an important military centre. Here we see territorials (attached to the Green Howards Regiment) and recruited mostly from the Cleveland area of Yorkshire leaving Richmond Station (to be glirnpsed in the background) and marching up Station Road on their way to the Racecourse for their annual training. The date is 1910.

37. This street is called the Bar because it led to one of the two postern gates in the town walls. The postem itself still exists and is visible in the background. The house on the right with the steps was reputedly built as a weaver's cottage. Many of Richmond's streets are known as wynds, an Anglo-Scandinavian word meaning 'a lane or alley'. Others are known as 'yards' and date mostly from the 18th century when the population was increasing and owners of properties in the main streets were erecting cottages for their workers behind their own houses or building new storehouses etc.

38. Another view of the Bar with the steep cobbled Cornforth Hili Ieading up to it from the Green. The woods and fields in the background are the beginning of Swaledale and, in the 18th century, formed part of the gardens and pleasance of a mansion - Y orke House- to which they belonged, The mansion was pulled down in 1821.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek