Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. This shows Friars Wynd with Friars Postern spanning it. The town walls adjoining it were built about 1315 as a protection against Scottish raids. This postern was left in the defences to give access to the Friary, the House of the Franciscans or Grey Friars (see 54). The 'tram lines' were put down by Messrs, Spenee and Cornpany ironmongers (see 10) about 1870. After their merchandise was brought up from the Railway Station on horse-drawn carts, it was off-loaded in the Market Place on to trolleys which were man-handled along these tracks which led to warehouses in Friars Wynd at the rear of their property. A few years ago, when the Planning Department of the Richmondshire District Council reflagged the Friars Wynd, they deliberately retained these 'tram-lines' and so retained an intriguing piece of Richmond's history.

40. The front entrance to the Grove is in Frenchgate. Originally it also had a back entrance from what is now Queen's Road. This was for coaches. The gates which barred this entrance opened on to a tree-lined avenue as shown here, The present Post Office (built in 1936) and Skipper's Garage (originally built in 1925 as Brand's Garage - one of the first in Richmond) are on land once belonging to the Grove. The Grove is architecturally one of Richmond's finest houses. It was built about 1720 by Caleb Readshaw. He and his family were prosperous drapers and wool merchants for over a century. They let out wool to Richmond townsfo1k who knitted stockings, gloves and caps which the Readshaw's collected and exported, mainly to the Low Countries. The house itself, built in brick, must have been very avant garde at the time of its construction.

41. Reference has a1ready been made to the Russian Cannon in the Castle Grounds (see 19). The postcard opposite dated July 11th, 1932 has this note written on the back by the old man (Mr. John Jackson) standing alongside the gun: I was one of the schoolboys who took part in the procession when brtnging the Russian cannon from the Railway Station and placing it in the grounds of Richmond Castle in 1858. I was about 8~ years old. It must have been very difficult to haul an object as large and heavy as a cannon up the steep slope of Station Road to the Market Place and Castle Yard: no wonder the old man remembered it! The present whereabouts of the cannon is unknown.

42. In 1606 Robert Willance, a prosperous Richmond draper and Alderman, was a member of a hunting party on Whitcliffe Scar, two miles west of Richmond. A sudden mist descended blotting out all the familiar landmarks. Both Willance and his horse lost their sense of direction and hurtled over the cliff edge, a fall of over one hundred feet. The horse was killed, but Willance escaped with a broken leg. He was eventually found by his companions. His leg was amputated. Local tradition has it that it was buried in Richmond churchyard where he joined it ten years later. In recognition of his escape he erected a monument at the top of the escarpment over which he and his horse plunged. Ever since this place has been known as Willance's Leap. The event has fired the imagination of successive generations of Richmond folk who have on many subsequent occasions resto red the original stone and added others, In 1734 a second monument was built and in 1906 yet a third. These were so spaeed that -traditionally- they represent the last two bounds taken by the horse before it plunged to its death. Shown here are some of the officials and spectators who took part in the 1906 ceremony. Part of the inscription which Willance placed on his first monument reads: Glory be to our merciful God who miraculously preserved me from the danger so great,

43. Empire Day, the 24th May, was Queen Victoria's birthday, In Richmond this used to be a day of great celebrations particularly for the children. There was a flag-raising ceremony in Ronaldshay Park, sports on the Cricket Field and finally, as a climax, a sit-down meaI in the Market Hall. This shows the tabies etc., prepared there in 1922 awaiting the arrival of the children. Thomas H. Singleton (shown here) was then Mayor.

Trinitv Church and Market Flace, Richmond.

44. Part of the Market Place on a Saturday market day about 1905. Note the shops under the north aisle of Trinity Chapel (see 33). The horse-drawn vehicle in the foreground is the so-called 'Station Bus' (see 75). Note that the ball on the top of the obelisk is missing. The original one, placed there in 1771, was, at the beginning of this century, considered dangerous and was removed. lt was not until1907 that it was re-capped with its present finial. The new one is in a different kind of stone and does not match the original in colour nor texture.

45. The last of the timber-framed houses of medieval Richmond. This survived until about 1880 when this photograph was taken. The present briek building on the site is a sorry substitute for this picturesque and eye-catehing corner of the Market Place and Finkle Street (see 10).

46. The Iane in the foreground is called Boggy Lonnen and, in rainy weather, it does not belle its name! Lonnen -a Scandinavian name for a Iane- reminds us of Richmond's Anglo-Scandinavian links. This lane may wen be older than the Castie itself. It may originally have led from St. Martin's Priory to asman leper een which this house had somewhere near Underbanks. The chapel was dedicated to St. Thomas and is usually described as being at Bordelby.

47. Above: Reference has already been made to the Cyclists Meet in Richmond and its inauguration in 1892 (see 30). Here is a group of officials of the Meet in 1922 when Thomas H. Singleton was Mayor. He is shown in the centre wearing his chain of office. The next man to his right is Alderman William Newton of Stockton-on-Tees, who was President of the Meet that year and was, for many years, one of its greatest stalwarts. The photograph is taken in the Castle Grounds. The tower in the background -one of the interval towers built to strengthen the curtain wall of the castle- is called the Robin Hood Tower. Why we do notknow.

Below: Here is a group of some of those in fancy dress who took part in the carnival procession of the Cyclists Meet in 1932. The penny-farthing cycle shown here is now an exhibit in the Richmondshire Museum. The wall in the background is part of the curtain wall of Richmond Castle. The large window, inserted in the 13th century, formed part of a chantry chapel.

48. The Buck Inn in Newbiggin dates from about 1850 before which it was a private house. There was a White Hart Inn in the Market Place until about 1830 when it closed. Perhaps the Newbiggin Buck should be regarded as the linea! successor of the Market Place White Hart.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek