Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49. One of Richmond's best loved legends maintains that there was an underground passage running from the obelisk in the Market Place to Easby Abbey, a distance of over two miles. In order to prove this, a drummer boy was lowered into the cavity which we know does exist below the obelisk (see 35) and ordered to continue along the passage beating bis drum as he went. Others of his regiment followed bis course above ground led on by the sound of his drumming, Tradition bas it that this ceased in Easby woods, half a mile distant from the Abbey. The stone here to the right of the half-open gate is known as the Drummer Boy's Stone: it was here that the drumming ceased. Needless to say the drummer boy was never seen again. Some Richmondians maintain that ghostly drumming can still be heard in the vicinity.

50. The walk from Richmond to Easby alongside the river Swale past the Drummer Boy's Stone (see 49) is one of the most beautiful in Yorkshire. It leads to Easby Abbey and Easby Church (both dedicated to St. Agatha). The former, founded in 1152 by the Order of Premonstratensians or White Canons and dissolved in 1536, retains so many of the monastic buildings (still standing to roof height in places) to make it rank as one of the best preserved of all Yorkshire religious houses. In addition to the claustral buildings much of its mill, mill race and weir, granaries and gatehouse survive.

51. Adjoining Easby Abbey is Easby Church which once served a much Iarger and more populous village. It is a charming building dating back to pre-Norman times and is remarkable for the extensive medieval wall-paintings which still survive in the chancel. The font is Norman. In the church is also the piaster-cast of portions of a fine 8th century Anglo-Saxon cross shaft. The original pièces were found built into the church walls during structural alterations earlier in this century and are now housed in the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Entrance Gates. flske Hall, Richmond.

52. Adjoining Richmond on the north is Aske Hall surrounded by extensive and well maintained grounds originally landscaped by Capability Brown. Since 1760 it has been the residence of the Dundas family, the present head of which is the third Marquess of Zetland. The Dundas family have always been staunch supporters of the turf and in 1850 their most fameus racehorse Voltigeur, which was trained at Belleisle in Richmond, won the Epsom Derby. This success was greeted with jubilation in Richmond. At Aske the elegant gateway shown here was built to replace a previous less imposing one. This new entrance was dubbed the Voltigeur gateway.

Queen'» .Jèoaá, cJèicnmoná

VaJentines . eries

53. Queen's Road from the north in 1923. This road, named after Queen Victoria, only became important when King Street (in the far distance) was opened up as a new entrance to the Market Place in 1813. Before that time Queen's Road was a narrow lane called Back of the Friars.

5705, FRIARYTOWER.RtGtl~ONO, YORKS.

54. The House of the Franciscans or Grey Friars was founded in 1257 being built just outside the town walls. The elegant perpendicular tower shown here was part of a later rebuild, being built probably about 1500. It is practically all that remains of the house. The Friary was dissolved in 1538. The monument in front of the tower is Richmond's War Memorial and was ereeted in 1920 as a tribute to those who died in the Great War. The narnes of the Richmond dead of the 1939-1946 War have also been added to it.

55. The Barracks at the head of Gallowgate were built in 1875-1877 as the Regimental Headquarters of the Green Howards (the Princess of Wales's Own), the old XIXth Regiment of Foot. At present (1982) the buildings are used as an approved school, but are soon to be vacated. Their future remains uncertain, Situated as they are high on the hill top above Richmond, they dominate the landscape for miles around.

56. One of Richmond's many old Christrnas customs is that of the 'Poor Old Horse'. This perambulated the town from one public house to another. The chief actor, representing the horse, was clothed in a horse's skin, worn and ragged to indicate its age, with a short stump for a tail. The head and neck -of wood- were so arranged that the actor could turn them at will. The jaws opened and closed and the loud snap ping of the teeth in chorus at the end of each verse was an essential part of the act. Accompanying the horse was a three-piece band consisting of a violin, fife and drum, together with two huntsmen with long whips which they kept cracking throughout the performance. One of the huntsmen recounted in doggerel verse the sad story of the horse and its fate. At the end the horse rolled on its back with its legs feebly waving in the air. The words of the doggerel have survived and, after a lapse of some thirty years, the old custom has recently been revived. The illustration dates to 1895.

57. The bandstand illustrated here still stands in the Ronaldshay Reereation Ground in Richmond. The land comprising this park was given to the town in 1906 by the then Marquess of Zetland. Ronaldshay is the title taken by the Marquess's eldest son, One of the conditions insisted on by the donor was that the Corporation of Richmond will not at any time permit public meetings for the discussion of politieel, religious, trade or social questions or other matter of controversy to be held or religious services to be conducted or lectures or addresses delivered. The Richmond Silver Prize Band shown here dates to about 1920.

58. The building of Catterick Camp began in the Spring of 1915 and the first troops went into barracks there in the October of that year, The fitst Commander of the Camp was Major-General M.F. Rimington, In 1916 some five thousand German prisoners of war of non-commissioned rank were housed there and were employed on camp constxuction and road making. One of the roads they made (shown here) was that from Richmond Railway Station past St. Martin's Priory to join up with the old Hipswell-Holly Hili road not far from West Wood. When this road was completed, it was called Rimington Avenue, a name it has retained to this day.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek