Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Leslie P. Wenham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2267-2
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The Swa1e is one of the fastest flowing rivers in Great Britain. The derivation of its name seems to be from the Old English Suala meaning 'whirling, rushing'. In ancient times the Swale was regarded as a holy river being known as 'The Jordan of England'. The tradition is that about the year 627 St. Paulinus baptised some ten thousand pagans in its waters at or near Catterick a few miles below Richmond. The Swa1e is a fine angling river and, until about 1770, contained salmon as well as trout and numerous varieties of coarse fish. The writer's father was one of the founders of the Richmond and District Angling Association in 1912. This still flourishes. This illustration shows some of its early members fishing in the Swale at Backhouse Ing on the way to Easby. The grouping seems to be contrived as it is difficuit to believe that reputab1e anglers would fish so close together.

70. Procession of the Mayor (William Walton) and Corporation to divine service in the Parish Church, Richmond on Whitsunday 1914. This religious service was always part of the Whitsuntide Cyclists' Meet celebrations (see 30). Associated with the Meet was a fun fair in the Market Place. It still takes place. Some of the temporary amusement stalls are shown spread around the base of the obelisk just as they still do today. The stalls in the chancelof Richmond Church are its greatest treasure. They came from Easby Abbey at the dissolution in 1536. Embodied in the carving is the rebus of Robert Bampton the last Abbot. The misericorde seats have superb grotesque carvings underneath them. One of these seats is specially reserved for the Mayor. It is flanked by 18th century clips into which the large mace is placed whenever he is present.

71. Part of the crowd assembled in the Market Place in August 1914 listening to the Mayor (William Walton) reading the proclamation announcing that Britain was at war with Germany and the Centra! Powers. One hundred and one Richrnond men were killed in that war. Their narnes are inscribed on the War Memorial in the Friary Grounds (see 54).

72. Horse racing has been a popular sport in Richmond for centuries and, since the 17th century there has been a race course there. The larger of the two grand stands shown here was built by public subscription in 1774. The smaller one was built a few years later privately for the use of the Dundas family of Aske. The race course was used both by the militia and their successors the territorials as a camping and training area. This shows the 4th Battalion of the Regiment of the Green Howards there in 1915. A few months after this photograph was taken these troops were in action in the trenches in Flanders.

73. Part of the ruined gateway of what was once St. Martin's Priory, the oldest religious house near Richmond. It was founded in 1100 as a cell of the rieh and powerful Benedictine Abbey of St. Mary's, Vork. St. Martin's was dissolved at the same time as the mother house in 1538. After the dissolution the monastic mill (none of which now remains) alongside the Swale was used for a time as a paper mill. The ruined monastic buildings as shown here have long been incorporated into a neighbouring house and farm.

74. In times past the highest part of Frenchgate (see 64) was known as Frenchgate Head and consisted of a large open space in the middle of which was a cluster of small houses not unlike those around Trinity Chapel in the Market Place. These were demolished about a century ago. The present Green Howards War Memorial was erected on this site in 1921. Shown here is the guard of honour from the regiment presenting arms at the unveiling of the monument. The siting of the memorial was carefully chosen. Every soldier in the Green Howards on his way to the Barracks (see 55) situated at the top of Gallewgate had to pass this point. In the south aisle of Richmond Parish Church is the Green Howards Regimental Chapel dedicated soon after this memorial was erected. In it are two Books of Remembrance listing the names of those who gave their lives in 1914-1918 and 1939-1946 Wars. Each day a veteran of the regiment visits the chapel and turns over a new page in each book.

75. Parade in Richmond Market Place in 1901 to celebrate the end of the South African War. The two banners over King Street read: 'Bravo General Botha South West Africa is ours.' The horse drawn carriage on the left was known as the 'Station Bus'. It was owned by the King's Head Hotel and plied between the Market Place and the Railway Station, meeting all trains into Richmond and transporting those passengers who paid the fare up the steep Station Road into the centre of the town. King Street, over which the two banners are draped, is a relatively modern entrance into the Market Place being made in 1813 on the site of an ancient public house, the Kings's Arms, which was demolished in that year to make way for this new road. Georgian prosperity in Richmond generated so much more commercial trafflc that the old narrow streets of Finkle Street and Great Channel (now Frenchgate) -the medieval entrances into the town- could not cope with it.

76. Funeral cortege of Major E.A. Hosford who died in Loods on February 11th, 1914 aged forty-two and was buried with full military honours in Richmond Cemetery a week later. He had a distinguished career in the Green Howards Regiment both at Richmond and overseas in the Tirah Expedition of 1897-98. Note the muffled drum, part of the regimental band which led the procession. The Major's horse follows the hearse and on the saddle are its master's boots. The funeral director in front of the hearse is Thomas Eyles of Richmond whose workshop in Ryder's Wynd is now the Richmondshire Museum. The trees on the left form part of the avenue to the Grove (see 40). The Post Office, Skipper's Garage and Cinema (now a Bingo Hall) were not yet built.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek