Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Audrey Carr
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5339-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

Richmond in North Y orkshire is an outstandingly beautiful and interesting town. It must rank high in the league of most photographed towns of the British Isles. The river, the woods, the historical buildings, the two bridges, the rising townscape... all these delightful elements have been recorded many times in thousands of different moods. It is not surprising, then, indeed it seems absolutely right, th at of all the English market towns, Richmond should have been chosen in 1945 to be photographed extensively, the ensuing pictures exhibited overseas to show how life was lived in rural England. Richmond is much more than just a lovely place with arresting photogenic qualities, though. Perhaps because of its historical background the town has developed a personality and character all of its own.

Already written about from many aspects, th ere will eertainly be more writings to come, for this unique terraeed town is a place of endless fascination which yields up its secrets reluctantly and there is still much to be discovered.

Although Richrnond's overall beauty cannot be lost because much of it is due to the natural setting in which the town has grown up, it is clear that all the demands we make these days, for more car parking spaces, for a super store, for leisure areas and for the trappings of modern society,

are putting the old town of Richmond under strain.

The visual focus of the town is its magnificent castie. Built on a rocky outerop high above the unpredictable river Swale it has not had to withstand human attack , only the assaults of ferocious winds and furious snow and rain storms. The stem and forbidding Castie Keep provides a background to many activities from the Beating of Retreat to displays of falconry and re-enactments of historical battles. One of the high-spots of the year used to be the Fancy Dress Parade and the great concert in the castIe grounds put on by the cycling clubs th at met at Richmond every Whitsuntide. The townsfolk still enjoy their Whitsuntide festivities but the concert has been more-or-Iess superseded by the marching displays given by juvenile jazz bands which now take pi ace on the old jousting field ofEarlsOrchard.

It is not so very long since soldiers and their families were actually quartered in snug houses in the castie yard. After all, Richmond has been a garrison town since 1070 when the Norman castIe was built by Alan Rufus. For centuries Richmond people have been used to the sight and sound of soldiers in the town. After the grey barracks were constructed in 1877 in Gallewgate. the sound of boots on cobbles was familiar as birdsong, in Frenchgate. Those cosy houses safe beside the castie walls were rernoved in the

1920s by the Ministry of Works. The Barracks having done duty as the headquarters of one of the North's most respected regirnents, The Green Howards, became an Approved School. The school is na more and that enclosure is now known as The Garden Village with most of the army bui/dings tastefully converted into amenity centres, dwelling houses and flats.

With the proximity of Catterick Garrison on land cornmandeered in 1915 by the War Office to be occupied by a camp wh ere the enormous numbers of men comprising 'Kitchener's Army' could be trained and the R.A.F. Regiment at Catterick, Richtnond's existence cannot help but be woven in with th at of H.M.'s Farces. Indeed, the ancient Boundary Riding ceremony would not be nearly sa successful without the boys in blue or khaki heaving the participants up makeshift ladders or rushing twisted-ankle victims to comfort, or using their expertise to set up field eating arrangements and sometimes supplying the food.

If increased leisure. affluence and a car in nearly every househeld have meant a great many more people visiting Richmond, th at is all to the good, for th is is a town which appeals to tourist and holiday-maker alike , but they will never be able to see it quite as it was except through post-

card collections like this. The Toll Booth has been eliminated from the market pi ace and the buildings which leaned up against Trinity Church Tower were pulled down in 1927. The cottages of Waterloo, memorable for their whitened door steps and polisbed door knobs, have gone. That jewel, the Georgian grandstand, is threequarters demolished but might be rebuiIt; the saw mil!; The Woodyard. Yorke Square have all vanished befare the march of neatness or expediency. We do have a beautifulIy restored theatre and CulIoden Tower has been conserved and refurbished and a completely new st reet of houses off Cravengate look at first glance as though they have been th ere for ages, the Town Hall and our no-nonsense Market Hall are well-kept and in constant use. There is then, some balance.

But what of Richmond's open spaces? Will they continue to add grace and style to the unique townscape or will commercialism devour them? Ir would be sad if one day we could only see the Friary field on an old postcard.

Even so, it is good to be able to look at these pictures and see Richmond in the era between 1882 and 1933 befare the thrust of modem life brought changes which sa far have been weathered with equanimity.

1. This photograph, taken in July 1882, shows the Green Bridge. There is no retaining wall around the base of the castIe bank to be seen. The short road by the bridge would be for access to the cobbles which would be much in de mand for repairing our cobbied roadways. The Good Intent Inn is at the far end of the bridge while The Bridge Inn at the town end is just out of sight. At the back of the buildings is the high-chimneyed brewery.

2. Also taken in the 1880's, this interesting picture shows a picturesque corner of Richmond that has altered very little over the years, except that this fence has been replaced by extremely solid stone bollards. A member of the militia waits for the photo to be taken before co ming through.

Richmond Bridge and Sleegili.

3. The well-built bridge with The Good Intent at the far end and Sleegill sheltering in the lee of Mount Ararat, a name for the hill scarcely used today. After the establishment of the military camp the road seen here became extremely busy, thronged with soldiers walking down to Richmond and back again. All the inns and shops in the area did brisk trade and many enterprising smaIl businesses sprang up. After the new camp raad was made, German prisoners-of-war helping, The Green became less populous.

4. Derelict workshops and houses have a certain higgledy-piggledy charm. Above, the castle, occupied by troops, looks much more weather-beaten than it does today. Sir Robert Baden Powell has not yet taken up residence. His bay window has not yet been inserted in the tower over-Iooking Billy Banks woods.

5. A closer look at the dereliction shows that some of the buildings were still in use. Tannery workers appear to be cleaning animal skins on the river's edge.

6. The Bridge Inn in its hey day.

7. The CulIoden Tower, otherwise known as The Temple. This attractive folly was built on the site of a ruined tower called Hudswel Peel. It had a court-yard in which the cattle would be penned if there was danger of attack by the Scots.

8. This view of Richmond is taken trom the garden of the house called Earls Orchard. It shows The Green trom an unusual angle. Post-1914, because the bay wind ow is visible. Yorke Square is showing on the left below CulIoden Tower, also known as The Temple. The cottages here we re constructed trom the stables of the razed Yorke Mansion. Eventually, attractive as they looked, the cottages were demolished and now the site is a bus and lorry park. The Tower with the bay window is where the Curator of the cas tie was eventually quartered. Donald Peers, the singer, lodged there.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek