Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Audrey Carr
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5339-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. On May Day in 1923 the public are still well-hatted and smartly dressed for another day of sports and fun in the Cricket Field.

20. Papermakers, blacksmiths, cabinetmakers, dyers, coopers, basketmakers, aerated water manufacturers and many others have gone from the town as their businesses became unviable. Here is the last tinsmith busy in his workshop making a fish and chip range forGlasperson Castle Hili. This photo was taken before 1914.

21. The Kings Head photographed before the First World War. A most refined establishment with a Ladies' Drawing Room, a Coffee Room and private suites of rooms for guests. Post horses and carriages we re kept behind the hotel. There was a garage and a hired bus to meet all trains. One of the porters kept pigs in a sty in the hotel garden. He had trained them to do tricks and they loved to entertain the guests who would troop round to the sty to watch them forming fours and trundling a barrel with their trotters.

22. Sandbeek Gien just befare the First World War. This was a famous loeal beauty spot then. By the white farmhouse at the bottom of the first hill from Holly Hill, you eould go through a stile on the right and walk for about a mile up the bed of the stream. This tiny valley was a heaven for amateur botanists and geologists. Eventually a little wooden bridge would be reaehed from whieh a path led to Hudswell. It is not possible to walk to Sandbeck, now.

23. Members of the Operatie Society in 1933. The cast of Miss Hook in Holland included Ray Clarkson, Dave Cherry, Isa Hayward and many other well-known townsfolk.

24. Hodgson's closed down in 1991 but here are the owners and staff in the 1920s. Visible in Friars Wynd are the little 'train lines' that eased the moving of stock from Spenee & Co."s Warehouse. The srnokers' gas jet on the wall of Hodgson's was done away with in 1944.

25. The unique Trinity Church, famous because of the houses and shops built into its tabric, changed its aspect completely when some of its supporting buildings were demolished in the 1920s. Without them Trinity Tower looks naked and shaky.

26. In this postcard Trinity Tower looks much neater and its forecourt has been surrounded by railings. During the war a large water tank for possible fire-fighting stood behind these railings. Note the delightful buses and the bus workers in their dust-coats. To the left ofthe cross is the old Richmond Hotel, not yet re-modelled.

27. The Market Place in 1931.

28. A nice view up the other side of Trinity Square. More demolition was about to take place. On the corner is the Temperanee Hotel, a building that housed the London Lending Library in the late 1930s. The building next to this one, at one time the London City and Midland Bank, has not yet been burnt down.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek