Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Audrey Carr
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5339-3
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Richmond in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The Barracks covered about 15 acres having cost f50,000 to build. The compound included a hospital, a library, stables and every modern necessity. There was living accommodation for 10 officers and 340 men. These buildings have been converted into flats and the whole compound is renamed The Garden Village. According to Bulmer's Directory, during the plague of 1597-8 the country folk would not come into town, so the market was held on the site now occupied by the Barracks. A market cross still stood in the yard in 1890.

70. Above: territorial soldiers drilling on the race course at Richmond. The Race Course was famous as a camp ground. Water was laid on and there was also a rifle range owned by the Corporation. A manoeuvering area was available for use by the Boys' Brigade, Church Lads' Brigade and other similar organisations. They were all encouraged to come. Beneath: taken in 1909 this wonderfully atmospheric shot shows soldiers at their T.A. camp on the race course. The photographer was from the J. B. Swallow Studio.

71. This is a postcard showing the funeralof a Mr. Brown in 1912. It is not a full military funeral as he had been out of the army for 14 years. A firing party accompanies the coffin, but na shots were fired. On the right is the wall enclosing the gardens ofThe Grove.

72. Summer 1919. Peace Parade in Ronaldshay Park. How many of those we see in the earlier cards showing marching soldiers were still alive?

73. Somewhat different! The Post Office at Camp Centre in those very early days.

74. The ceremonial unveiling of the Green Howards War Memorial in July 1921. The sign of the Ship Inn at the top of Frenchgate is just visible and in the background a nice little house opposite Oglethorpe House, demolished for road safety reasans after the Second World War. Although all the railings were not th en in situ no-one feIl over. In earlier times there was a conglomeration of paar cottages indescribably insanitary and dilapidated at Frenchgate Head where the memorial now stands. The memorial, a twenty-one foot high Celtie Cross, was carved from stone from one of the Marquis of Zetlaud's quarries.

75. By 1909 Motoring as a hobby had begun with a vengeance. This postcard was sent as a Christmas card. Instead of stabling for horses, the Angel Hotel at Catterick Village offers a garage for motors.

76. The Grey Friars Café in 1933. This genteel cake shop and café was for many years one of Richmond's most popular meeting places, Their slogan: 'The Rendezvous of the Elite' was entirely appropriate - at the time.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek