Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

:   Peter Rogers and Paul Marshman
:   Hampshire
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-1131-7
:   80
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>


Few can question the fascination of picture postcard collecting as a hobby. These pleasing little missives bring to memory sights and scenes almost forgotten, hel ping one to live again through experience of holiday or travel. That the cards were placed in albums, saved or exchanged among enthusiasts, has meant that their renaissance in this current age has given the present generation an opportunity to look through the windows of the past at scenes which our parents, grandparents and even greatgrandparents knew. The early photographers were keen to record anything and everything and so, perhaps unwittingly, created what is today the most comprehensive and valuable collection of photographs in the world.

Rowlands Castle attracted itinerant photographers who were prepared and able to travel to the village and its surrounds to record people, buildings and events for posterity; it is as aresult of their efforts that we are able today to produce this small volume recalling times past.

Whilst the historical background of Rowlands Castle and District has been well documented over many years, the resulting written histories have yet to be advanced beyond the 'pamphlet' stage and we still await a definitive work on the subject. Neither has any previous attempt been made to publish a volume of vintage photographs, illustrative evidence to mark the passage of time in and around the village; it is with this in mind that we

attempt to remedy at least part of the omission and credit the village and locality with a sense of the past.

Rowlands Castle is a village oflegends, having little or no evidence to corroborate or give credence to, the folk tales concerning Rowland, said by tradition to have been a giant who preyed upon and plundered the countryside.

Early, prehistoric man created settlements in the district as is evidenced by the discovery of settled sites, flint tools and burial mounds. It is probable that it was these people who traversed the Lavant River Valley to the rich food source provided by the wildlife on the shores of Langstone Harbour. Archaeological investigations carried out in the valley give an indication that temporary, pos si bIe overnight, stops were made on what appears to have been a regular route to the sea from a 'home base' in and around the Rowlands Castle district.

The Romans, during their four hundred years or so of occupation, realised the importance ofRowlands Castle as being on the route to the local harbours from whence salt was obtained, the production of which would have provided employment and a possible source of income for the native British. Evidence of Roman influence and occupation is today common throughout the area. An abundance ofbrick earth was responsible for their establishing alocal brick, tile and pottery industry, an industry which continued in the village until the twentieth century.

Following the Norman invasion of 1066, it is likely that camps were established in the district and small military units set up to contral the native English. A series of Motte and Bailey castle fortresses were built and it is conjectured that among the several local examples, the remains which lie within the graunds of 'Deerleap House', are those of the legendary castle of Roland. Almost all of this once extensive fortress has been destroyed or removed, particularly with the coming of the railway in the nineteenth century. Here then is the prabable location of the castle and we can theorise that Roland was one ofthe Norman King William's 'Licutcnants' who was commanded to oversee and contral the district.

As a place name, the earliest reference to Rowlands Castle appears to be in the time of Edward II (1307 - 1327) when there is a mention of the place, 'Rolokascastel' . In 1528, a certain [ohn Byran was pardoned for ha ving received cattle stolen fram Rowlands Castle and in 1 73 1 , the sheriff of Havant was asked to clear gypsies from land near Rowlands Castle .

With the approaching millennium and the realisation that Rowlands Castle and its environs have pravided an agreeable habitat for countless generations of our ancestors, those that are fortunate enough to reside here will appreciate the fact that they are living in what is still an enviable location. For here, on the Hampshire I West Sussex border, where time has almost past

them by, a true village atmosphere still endures 'far from the maddening crowd' .

This delightful village of which its residents are justly praud, maintains its uniqueness as a designated conservation area; a thriving community within the administrative authority of East Hampshire District Council.


The fairest and simplest way to acknowledge the many sources fram whence the postcards and illustrations were obtained for this volume would be collectively, to credit the villagers themselves, for it is they, who have willingly and enthusiastically, subscribed both pictorial evidence of and contributed to the knowledge of Rowlands Castle author/historian Paul Marshman. Also deserving of mention are the business men and women of Rowlands Castle , members of the Local History Society and Gavin Maidment, Senior Assistant at Havant Museum, who has expressed an interest and encouraged research into the Rowlands Castle files which are part of Local Studies and Resources facilities of Havant Museum.

1 A four-horse brake is pictured outside of the Fountain Inn in 1900. The roof line of the houses and the Railway Hotel in the background have changed but little; not so The Fountain. Later photographs show a parapet. Noticeable behind the horses are trapdoors giving access to the cellars. This side of the inn now provides staffliving quarters; with the cellar entrance remaining in its original position. The bicycle is from about 1896 and would have been a much prized possession. Rowlands was a popular venue for cyclists and day trippers in the early years of the twentieth century.

2 A view of the Green dated 1901. In the centre background is the extravagantly titled 'Institurc of Science, Technology and Art', a privately-funded venture to establish a school for village children not able to attend the local schools at Redhill or Idsworth. Sharing the background is the 'Chapel on the Green' built about 1880.

3 Wallis's Tea Gardens, proclaims the sign aboutl902, although, at this time, the pubcum tea garden was the Railway Hotel. In earlier days the name of the hostelry had been the Rowlands Casde Tavern, probably adopting the new tide with the coming of the railway or, when Mr. Blake, the landlord of 1875, obtained parcel rights. Improved, enlarged and refurbished, the establishment is now renamed "The Robin Hood'!

4 The one-time shop and general store at Durrants in 1908. The Marshall family established the business in

1 841 and built up the trade to include a bakery in addition to the grocery trade. Possibly providing a post-office service (postage stamps were sold here) they also served teas and accommodated touring cyclists. Demolished in the 1960's, the modern shop premises, which later took its place, were converted into purely living accommodation in 1986.

5 St. John's Church, Redhill Rowlands Castle dated 191 0, just five years after the porch was added. This photograph is of the original' short church' , the building being extended to its present length in 1929. Once again we see the legend Redhill; the ecclesiastical parish until 1953. The bold, white memorial cross marks the family grave of the Fitzwygram family, later owners of the Leigh Park Estate.

6 Barrett's Garage

about 191 2 when the trade appears to be concerned principally with bicycles: selling, repairing and hiring. William Barrett also specialised in oil engines. Fuelled by paraffin, these engines were the main source of power for farms, generating electricity and pumping water.

7 Mr. Bartert's Garage at Redhill aboutl920, cycles as well as cars providing the business. Three generations of the Barrett family are pictured with an apprentice beside a Lagonda motor car. An apocryphal tale is told of a car, similar to that in the photograph, having broken down nearby and its owner hopefully approaching 'Bil!' Barrett with a damaged part to ask 'is there any chance that you could provide samething similar?'

'1 can do better than that,' said Bill and, after rummaging about for a short while, produced the exact part ... So what was so extraordinary? The car with the problem was

vintage, although the year in which this incident taak place was 1990.

8 The Rowlands Castle Musical Drill Group in 1904 was led by Mr. W Morgan assisted by his wife; they are bath pictured. Each of the children here attended the Chapel on The Green Sunday School of which Mr. Morgan was superintendent.

Grace and Florence Barrett are among those children in the front row.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2022 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek