Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Rogers and Paul Marshman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1131-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 This delightful picture features another of the early village stores. The discerning reader may orientate him/herself, by determining that the buildings' rear left are the bungalows in Bowes Hill and that the building on the right later became a branch of Barclays Bank. Bath the bank and adjoining house were demolished in 1990 to make way for the new village Surgery and Health Centre.

40 The view here is of Bowes Hill and features the newlyerected bungalows. Similar properties exist in nearby Uplands and Castle Roads. In 1930, a newspaper carried the somewhat disparaging comment that the village was rapidly becoming a Bungalow Town!

41 Redhill CricketTeam about 191 2. Home games were played at Durrants in a field opposite the houses on the main raad. The side probably consisted of workers from the Leigh Park Estate, changing facilities were in the local public reading raam. Two of the oldest families in the area, the Outens and the Levetts, can identify their grandfathers in the photograph.

42 Redhill United Football Club played on the same ground as the cricket team of the previous picture. Within just a few years there was to be a purpose-built recreation ground at Rowlands Castle for 'the benefit of the youth of bath sexes of the district' . A Durrants inhabitant expressed the opinion that 'they, the people of Durrants, would not use the ground as their own was satisfactory'. Reports of the time fail to agree and, more to the point, the lease at Durrants was due to expire!

43 The corner of the Green where it joins Links Lane. The Chapel on the Green is on the left of the scene while Rickards Tea Rooms and Gardens dominate the rest of the photograph. Rickards could provide facilities bath indoors and out and were usually called upon to cater for almast all of the village functions.

44 The Village Green pictured about 1920 before it was cansalidated from its original segments into the wide, uninterrupted expanse familiar to us taday.

45 A view of the railway arches in about 1925 is unusual because it shows the business premises on bath sides of the raad. The building on the right, now a modern 'convenience store', was then owned by Mr. Hedgecock, a local builder, whose address was usually given as Finchdean, where he had another yard. On the left the shop premises are those of Mr. Rook, who features elsewhere in this baak.

46 The railway arches feature once more in the Coronation celebrations of 1937. Having assembled in the Finchdean Raad, the pageant led by the village band is making its way to the recreation ground, where the festivities will continue. A close examination will reveal that the clown (a lady) is smoking a cigarette.

47 Fondly referred to as the Village Band, it was in fact The British Legion Band (Rowlands Castle Branch) and shows them during a moment's relaxation during the 1935 Silver Jubilee Celebrations. FIOm left to right are:

Roy House, Erne Samsome Ir., Dennis Outen, Edward Redsull, Erne Samsome Ir., Danny Bullen, Jack Levett (just his head !), Alfred Redsull and Bill Bullen.

48 Coronation Day 1937 and the float entered by the local Dramatic Society comes to rest in front of Elizabeth Terrace on the Green. In appropriate make-up and costume, the cast are portrayed as members ofthe Commonwealth and British Isles.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek