Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Peter Rogers and Paul Marshman
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-1131-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Castle and District in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 Celebrations to record the ending of the war with Japan taak place at Rowlands Castle Recreation Ground on September 15th 1945. A pageant of vehicles and costumed villagers having assembled here, then paraded through the village. The lorry providing a mobile display platform was owned by C. (Clarrie) Rawlings, alocal coal merchant with storage facilities at the railway station and a depot at Dean Lane End. The gentleman breaking into a trot is Charlie Royal the village baker and shopkeeper. The pavilion in the background was erected in 1925 but from 1941 to 1947, was requisitioned for temporary housing.

50 This building of classic design was destroyed by overzealous planners in 1971. Known locally as Stansted College, it was built in 1850 by Charles Dixon Esq., the then owner of Stansted House. Endowed as acharitable institution, it became a residential establishment for retired vintners, who perhaps lacked any other home or had fallen upon hard times. Keeneyed villagers can still point out a tiny section of an original wall which remains as part of a new property.

SlA staff photograph of workers about191 O. A quick head count estimates 75 men to be in the picture and, judging from their dress, they are all manual workers. Prior to the electrifîcation of the railway, lorries could enter the works from Woodberry Lane through a pair of fine brick pillars which are still in situ today. The yard had its own railway sidings, controlled from a local signal box.

52 An interior view of the works about192S. The barrow is known as a crowding barrow and could be loaded with an average of sixty bricks; with the kiln capacities each of90,000 bricks, it would be a long and arduous task to fill them using barrows of this type.

53 The work force had been reduced to 35 men when the brickworks finally closed in 1967. Ta sustain any sort of viable living, the Rowlands Castle Works in its last years was committed to producing 100,000 bricks per week. In places the complex was three storeys high with the chimney as its focal point. At a height of 1 SO ft it could be seen from any point in the village.

54 Located in Finchdean Raad (Castle Lane of earlier years), the Castle Inn was built in 1853 when an older hostelry was demolished to make way for the railway. The Outen family were landlords for close on two hundred years, only terminating their long term tenancy shortly before the start of the Second WorldWar.

SS The present four public houses would seem suffîcient to cater for the needs of villagers and visitors alike. Prior to 1925, however, there had been a fifth, the Royal Oak at Whichers Gate Comman, the last landlord being Mr. Carpenter. This photograph shows the building in 192 9, when by this time it had become a farmhouse. (Mr. Pescott, the owner, is pictured standing by the fence.) The farmer's herd of cows were frequently grazed on Whichers Gate Comman itself. In later years the house was divided into two dwellings and even then, occasional tricks of the light would sometimes reveal, through the limewash, the painted out name and

sign of the Royal Oak. The old property was demolished and six modern houses were built there in the 1970's.

S6 Titled 'Oaklands. North Havant' , Oaklands House is a mid- Victorian property south of the village. It was built for Col. Stubbington, who was an avid supporter ofboth church and school. The description of North Havant is in fact correct for the period in which the photograph was recorded, the property was within that civil parish.

57 Idsworth House, or the New Mansion, was built from 1849 to 1851 to replace the old home of the Clarke Jervoise family; the style is midVictorian and the construction almost entirely of red brick. In recent years the property has been subdivided into apartments.

"

58 Stansted House has long had connections with Rowlands Castle although it is 10cated just beyond the Hampshire border in West Sussex.

In 1900 a disastrous fire destroyed the main building, the present, rebuilt property varying considerably from the original. This magnificent house with its extensive grounds has been the home of the Bessborough farnily since 1924. Descendant from an old Irish farnily, Vere the Ninth Earl was the first to live here. A lesser fire in 1942 destroyed the fine bijou theatre which the Earl had created in 1927.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2019 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek