Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5225-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

19. Rowlands Gil!; the Old Post Office c191O. This solidly built brick building, only a few years old like most of the town, when this photograph was taken, stands on what was then Station Road. Today the street is cal!ed Burnopfield Road. The two front doors to the left show that the building included two Tyneside flats as wel! as the shop. The Post Office was part of a grocery shop, evidenced by the baking powder advertisement on the window. Most smal! shopkeepers had to diversify to make a decent living, of ten having other jobs as wel! as the shop. Acquiring the postrnaster's position in a town was therefore much sought after by Iocal traders. When Ushers gave up the shop the Post Office was taken over by the Lumley family, who turned the rest of the shop into a drapers. When they moved to new premises on what is now Station Road, the Post Office moved with them. It was rumoured at the time that the new Station Road was so named to save the Lumleys having to change the Post Office address stamp. Today the Post Office stands on the Grove, run from th ere by the Middleton family since 1948.

20. Rowlands Gill; Thompson's garage cl 922. After the First World War, as mass production was introduced into motor car manufacture, the price of a family saloon came within the range of the average salaried worker. To serve the needs of the new car owners in Rowlands Gill, Thompsons opened this garage in 1922, next door to the cinema. "The Picture House', as the cinema was called, had opened in 1919. On this photograph the garage is shown as first built, with a flat roof. The car on the forecourt is an early saloon with exterior horn and a bonnet ornament on the radiator cap. A motorbike and side-car stand just inside the workshop. The Dunlop advertisernent in the window is publicising the T.T. Races, one of the events th at made the motorcycle a form of transport that boys found ideal for impressing the girls with in the 1920s. It was practical too, a side car could be fitted when a baby came along.

21. Rowlands Gill; the Co-operative Store c1930. This card was produced towards the end of our period during the 1930s Depression. The Co-operative building is to the right of the picture. The Rowlands Gil! Co-op was a branch of the Burnopfield Cooperative Wholesale Society. These C.W.S.s were based on the concept of selling goods, aften produced in Co-op factories at Pelaw or Manchester, directly to members, thus cutting out any middleman profit. After all expenses incurred in running the Society had been paid, any surplus was distributed to members quarterly as a percentage dividend on each rnember's spending. On the ground f100r were the various 'departments', or shops. The upper storey of the building had a Hall, reading room and committee rooms for the use of members. Here at Rowlands Gil! one of the committee rooms was used as a Labour Exchange. In front of the store several of the unemployed of the town sit or stand around while waiting for the 'Dole Office', as the Labour Exchange was known, to open.

22. Rowlands Gill; coronation procession 1937. The schools in Rowlands Gill were given a day off for the crowning of George VI and Queen Elizabeth, our present Queen Mother. The people of the town celebrated this coronation with more than usual enthusiasm because of the long association of the district with the Bowes-Lyon family of Gibside Hall. of which the Queen Mother is a member. Her cousin, the Earl of Strathmore, owned Gibside, and she was a frequent visitor to the Hall and Chapel in the 'SOs and '60s. The coronation was celebrated in the town by a procession in which the children carried patriotic flags and bunting. The most common flag to be seen here is the cross of St. George, as every school had a stock of these for use on St. George's Day, then a yearly event in the school calendar. The procession ended in Derwent Park, where there were sports and a pie-nie for the children. A coronation mug was given to each scholar to commemoratc the day,

23. Rowlands Gil!; St. Barnabas Church c1925. This church, a wooden walled building, was erected at the beginning of the century to cater for the spiritual needs of Anglicans moving into Rowlands Gill. It served the Town in th is form for over fifty years, being consecrated in 1904. It was replaced in 1956 with a modern brick church. The need for a church became pressing around the turn of the century. This was due to a large influx of people into the town, following a house building boom. Pit rows for the Lilley Drift were built at Mafeking. Sta ne houses for Younger's quarrymen were erected in the ravine to the west of the town. In addition houses were built on fields that had been part of Smailes Farm. All the building on the Smailes Estate was controlled by mutual covenants, drawn up with the concept of the 'Garden City' in mind. These covenants banned any alehouses or inns, offensive businesses such as chemical works or slaughterhouses and, in addition, they limited the nurnber of pigs that any householder could keep to two.

24. Rowlands Gill; Strathmore Road junction c1900. The road across the middle of this card, along which the man with the cycle is walking, is Dipwood Road. There is astreet along to the left signposted as Derwent Avenue while the street going up on the right is Strathmore Raad. The farm cart coming out of Strathmore Road has large wheels, characteristic of country vehicles. Such wheels were needed to negotiate local roads off the turnpike as these were aften na better than farm tracks, tu rning into quagmires in wet weather. The building on Strathmore Road was the first Wesleyan Chapel in Rowlands Gil!. The fields here belonged to the Northern Allotments Association, bought in 1897 to develop as an area of residential housing. The aim of the association was to build homes for working families in a parkland setting, based on the ideas of Wakenshaw, the originator of the concept of the 'Garden City'.

25. Rowlands Gilt; first Wesleyan Chapell900. This chapel was opened on 31st December 1899. Previous to this the Wesleyans had met, first in members houses, then, as numbers increased, in the station waiting room. When th is proved inconvenient the Priestman Coal Co. loaned them a building at the Lilley Drift until they were able to build this chapel. It had two rooms, the main room was the church and the smal! room behind it was avestry. The growing population, and successful missions, made this chapel toa small from the day it opened. Foundations for the present chapel, which was built in the field to the left, were laid in 1901. From the opening of the present chapel in 1902, this building was used as a school room. Following Methodist Union in 1932 and a decline in churchgoing after the Second World War, the congregations ofthis chapel and the P.M. chapels on cards 8 and 48 came together on this site. In 1957 this building was demolished and a new schoolroom built further back from the road. This development gave the chapel a car park.

26. Rowlands Gill Wesleyan Chapel, interior 1908. This card shows the interior of the first Wesleyan chapel, as it was when in use as a Sunday School. The main room was lit using paraffin lamps and kept warm in winter by the large stove in the right foreground. The use of the building as a Sunday School is made clear by the text painted on two boards running along the roof. The text, taken from the King James Bible, is from the sayings of Jesus as recorded in the Synoptic Gospels (Mark lOv14, Matt 19v14 and Luke 19v16). It reads: 'Suffer little chiJdren to come unto me, for of such is the Kingdom of Heaven.' The smaJl room at the rear, originally built as a vestry, has farms for use by the youngest children. In the main room each class would have its own farm with the oldest pupils at the back. The Sunday School superintendent would conduct the school from the lectern on the srnall stage at the front, with musie supplied by one of the teachers playing the American organ that stands in the right hand corner aft he room.

27. Rowlands Gil!; view down Strathmore Road cl9D2. This photograph, taken shortly after the chapel opened, shows severa1large houses, set in generous sized gardens, off Derwent Avenue. The house with the rnock Tudor gables was the doctors house, 'The Poplars' . It was one of several built to house professional families mld their servants in the attractive rural setting of Rowlands Gil!. This choice of location was made possible because of the regular quick link with industrial Tyneside provided by the N.E. Railway. Several of these houses were built with coach houses and stabling, to provide transport for loc al journeys. Such outbuildings today provide garage space and grannie flats. The indistinct background to this card is caused by the large amount of dust in the atmosphere. This dust came from the smoke of domestic coal fires and the chimneys offactories and pits.

28. Rowlands Gill; Lintz Ford Road cl920. This card shows some of the houses built before the First World War. These substantial detached houses, brick built with welsh slate roofs, lined the main road to Shotley Bridge. The houses are set back from the road, giving each a front garden. This was because the covenants introduced when the Smailes Estate was sold for housing that all had building lines set weil back from the front of each plot sold. Today such building lines are compulsary, then they were regarded as a novelty. The road itself is unrnetalled, but has a better surface than most neighbouring streets. This was because it had originally been laid as the turnpike in the 1830s and had a good stone foundation. The lack of garages alongside the houses or a footpath by the raad, and the absence of traffic, are a reminder that then, when people wished to travel, they used the train. The roads were safe for pedestrians and children, as the smal! amount of traffic using them was predominantly horse-drawn.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek