Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5225-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29. Rowlands Gill; the Café, Lintz Ford Road c1930. Older residents will reeall this little building on the river side of the Shotley Bridge Road. Between the wars it was a popular destination with loeals out for a walk or members of the manage rial and professional classes from Newcastle out for a spin in their new motorears. The Café provided an ideal spot for such tourists to stop and refresh themselves with tea and eakes while visiting the many attractive sights of the upper Derwent Valley. When it was first opened as a Temperanee Bar and Café it was known locally as 'Penny's', after the owner. lts niekname changed to 'Northy's' when the ownership changed. Finally it was acquired by J. French. By th en motor transport and private car ownership had inereased. This meant that the Café was now on a busy road and it lost most of its trade from Iocal walkers. The motorcar tourist trade, which had been stopped by petrol rationing during the war, never returned and the building was eventually demolished.

30. Rowlands Gill; the viaduct near Friarside c1900. When the North-Eastern Railway built the Derwent Val1ey branch line, they were refused wayleave through the Gibside Estate. This meant that the line, which ran for most of its length on the south-east bank of the river , had to cross over the Derwent to avoid the estate. The viaducts at Lockhaugh between Rowlands Gil! and Winlaton Mil! (card 1) and the one iIIustrated here were therefore built to bridge the river and thus carry the line around the boundaries of the estate. This structure stands a few hundred yards upstream from Cowford Bridge. It took the line out of Rowlands Gil! and across the Derwent into an estate next to Gibside that used to belang to the church. In the days before the Reformation the rents of this estate were used to support a chantry chapel and a hospital, The hospital was a building in which pilgrims could stay overnight. It was run by one monk.

31. Rowlands Gil!; train on viaduct c191O. This card can be dated to the years befare the First World War by the iron railings along the top of the wall by the path. The demand for iron for reworking into guns and ships rneant that all such railings disappeared into the furnaces of steel works. The 'Edwardian' moustaches of the two men give further confirmation to this date. The train crossing the viaduct, with its tender heaped with coal, is hauling a rake of cleristory coaches behind a flatparcel wagon and a mail van. This was the time when journeys of any distance were made by train, as few people had alternative transport and road tra vel could be difficult. Most rural roads were still na better than cart tracks. The road between Blackhall MiJl and Coalburns still had forty gates for the travelIer to negotiate.

32. Friarside Estate; chapel ruins cl910. The Saxon Church in Northumbria was organised around monastic houses, such as the one at Jarrow made fameus as the home of the Venerable Bede. From these monasteries was set up a network of hospitals along the main lines of comrnunication in the Kingdom, which were the rivers. These hospitals were built about a day's journey from each other. They were often manned by a single monk, who provided hospitality to traveIlers and served the spiritual needs of neighbouring hamlets as required. Friarside was such a hospital for pilgrims travelling between Jarrow and B1anchland. The monk here was enjoined to keep a lamp burning at night to guide travelIers to safety. Often, as here where the estate owned 27 acres, a local benefactor would endow the place with enough land to keep the monk and build a chantry chapel in which the monk could pray for the soul of the founder. This locally produced postcard of the 12th century chapel ruins, a mile from Rowlands Gill , can be dated by the childrens' dress.

33. Lintz Colliery; the schoolroom cl900. The pit village of Lintz Colliery stands a little to the South of Lintz Ford, a mi Ie or so up the River Derwent from Rowlands Gill. It was built by John Shield, the coal owner, following the re-opening of the colliery in 1889. The pit was original!y sunk in 1855, but was laid in by its previous owners in 1885. Such pit villages sprung up all over the Durham coalfield, with a school, chapel and Institute buildings of ten supplied by the colliery owners. However, by 1894, when this school was built 'in the Oueen Anne stylc', the local School Board was responsible for the new building. The school was designed for 100 infants and 250 elementary scholars. The 'big' school had a large hall and two classrooms, while the infants building consisted of one classroom and a smal! hall. The school was financed by the Scha a! Board levying a rate. In neighbouring villages with colliery built schools the scholars had to pay 'School pence', ranging from 2d a week for infants to 6d a week for those in the top class, standard 7.

34. Lintz Ford; the Derwent at Lintz Ford c1900. This arcadian scene, with meandering river and tree covered banks, amply illustrates that natural beauty of the Derwent Valley which made it sa popular with local artists in the last century. Lintz Ford, as its name implies, was a river crossing. The place was first mentioned in a 12th century charter recording the gift of land in ChopweIl Manor to the Cistercian monks of Newminster Abbey, near Morpeth. In that document Lintz Ford is recorded as being the destination of a paved road from Spen called Lincestrete, possible evidence that Romans based at Ebchester a few miles upstream had feit it worth while to use the Lintz Ford as a crossing point. Such a crossing suggests that the garrison had constructed a direct route to the Tyne ford at Newburn to link up with their fort on the wall at Heddon. The same route was used a thousand years later by monks travelling from Newminster to Chopweil. By then the Tyne was deeper and the ferry at Ryton, which existed weil into the present century, was established to carry them across.

35. Lintz Ford; view of (he village cl930. These houses at Lintz Ford were built for the workers at the paper mil! during the 19th century. They were demolished in 1966 when the mill, which had become Richardson's lnk Factory in 1923, was taken over by Dufay Paints. The paper mill was established on the north bank ofthe Derwent in the early years ofthe 18th century. At that time the landowner charged the mil!owner a rent which included 'one sword blade, weil made and tempered'. This charge reflected less the unsettled nature of the times than the fact that such an item could be obtained locally at a little over cost price, at Shotley Bridge, a mile or two upstream. Such sword blades were considered to be equal in quality to the finest Damascus steel blades, so the landowner would be able to seil on his rent and make a good profit out of it. A corn mill stood on the south bank of the river in Elizabethan times and the settlement at Lintz, though never large, apparently dated back to 'times immemorial'.

36. Lintz Ford; Lintz Green railway station cl91O. This card shows the platform and stationmaster's house at Lintz Green. This station was built to serve both Lintz Ford and Lintz Colliery. However, during the first twenty years of its history , anyone living in the colliery town of ChopweIl who wanted to use the train, had to walk through the woods to join the road that followed the old Lincestrete route to the ford, then cross the river to reach the station at Lintz Green. Eventually, in 1909, a station for ChopweIl was built at High Westwood. The station at Lintz Green is best remembered locally for the mysterious fatal shooting of the stationmaster as he walked the short distance between the station and his house after the last train had passed through, one Saturday night in 1911. Although the shots werc heard on the train, and the police conducted an intense investigation, na arrests were made and the murderer was never brought to justice.

37. Rowlands Gil!; Bessjord's char-à-banc cl921. This early motorbus was owned by Mrs. Bessford of High Spen. She used it to begin a local bus service in 1920. It ran from Rowlands GiJl to the tramcar terminus at the Scotswood end of the Chain Bridge, from where passengers could take a tram into Newcastle. This vehicle was driven by Mr. Arthur Thompson with Mr. Ned Dunn, here seen sitting at Mr. Thompson's right, collecting the fares. It was one of severallocally owned 'buses that spent most of the 1920s in fierce competition with each other for passengers. When new regulations governing routes and safety were introduced the owners came together in 1929 to form the Venture Bus Company. Mrs. Bessford first provided local transport in 1910, when she used a small horse-drawn trap, called locally a 'tub', to meet passengers at Rowlands GiJl Station. When the de mand for this service outgrew the tub she added a 'Dickie trap', and then a brake that could take eight passengers. This motor char-à-banc, known locally as the 'Grey Ghost', carried thirty passengers.

38. Rowlands Gilt; group near Strathmore Road c1900. This photograph comes from the family records of the Robinsons. In the 1920s the Robinson family farmed in the Blaydon district and ran several butcher shops. The family horne when this photograph was taken was in the old toll house, which had been bought by them in 1888, when the toll on the turnpike was abolished. When the Allotment Association was set up to develop affordable housing in Rowlands Gil! the Robinsons were amongst its first members. In the documentation that accompanied this card the town is referred to as 'Rolands Gill'. Such a mis-spelling would be made by a stranger to the place, which suggests that this photograph was probably taken on the occasion of the first visit of the Association to the town by one of the prospective residents. What we have here is a record of the people who were to become the residents of the newly built Association houses. As we can see from the hats, there is a mixture of working men, in caps, and managers and tradesmen, in bowlers.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek