Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Noël G. Rippeth
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Tyne & Wear
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5225-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Rowlands Gill in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

59. Winlaton Mill; the village c1925. A bird's eye view of the old village a few years before it was demolished. The 'Olde Worlde' housing stock, over 200 years of age, was condemned as unfit for human habitation by the Sanitary Inspeetor of the Blaydon U.D.e. in 1930. The iron works had passed from the Crowleys in 1863, only three years after the traditional evening ringing of the curfew bell had been abandoned. The first owners after Crowley Co. were not successful, and the old works were only saved from bankruptcy through a take-over by Raines Co. in 1885. Raines moved to their nèw Delta Works at the confluence of the Derwent with the Tyne in 1910, abandoning the old buildings, so that the men of the village had to go elsewhere for employment. Only the opening in 1928 of the Derwenthaugh Coke Works ne ar to the village, and a vigorous campaign by the villagers to 'stay put', convineed the Council that Winlaton Mil! should be rebuilt. The new village was built between 1933 and 1937 and its housing is too recent to be included in this book.

60. Winlaton Mill; the square c1920. The houses formed part of a 'factory' square, built by Ambrose Crowley. Each building in the square was a workshop as weil as a dweIling. The original entrance to each building opened into the square where there we

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Algemene voorwaarden | Algemene verkoopvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2021 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek