Sandgate in old picture postcards volume 1

Sandgate in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Alan F. Taylor
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5551-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Sandgate in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

The Town of Sandgate is situated about a mile-anda-half west of Folkestone and about two-and-a-half miles east of Hythe. Sandgate was approached from Folkestone by way of Sandgate Road, also from the Leas by Lift, and the Lower Sandgate Road, from Shorncliffe and Sandgate Stations. Sandgate takes its name from an opening or entrance, from the coast between the hills, leading to the adjacent country and neighbourhood. Such openings from the land to the coast, between the hills, being called gates. The road leading down the hili, and through Sandgate, was formerly very deep and loose sand, hence the village was called Sandygate, or Sandgate.

Sandgate obtained a reputation as a health resort; few pI aces could offer more attractions to the invalid than Sandgate. The whole of the town is effectively sheltered from northerly and north-easterly winds, and is open to the full influence of the southerly breezes. Purity of air, good facilities for bathing and a supply of excellent water are features of great importance.

Sandgate owes much of its prosperity to a ship builder, Mr. Wilson, who came to Sandgate to set up a ship building business. Between the years 1770 and 1780 he erected some houses for his workers,

but according to Seymour's Survey of 1776, there were residences previously in existence. A castle was built in 1539 by Henry VIII, who feared a French invasion. Sandgate also owes much of its importance and prosperity to the fact that it is close to Shorncliffe Camp, where Sir John Moore trained several regiments, which afterwards won renown in the Peninsular War. A monument to the famous General stands on the Esplanade at Sandgate.

John Bartholomew Gough, the great Temperanee orator, was born at Sandgate. The Masonic Hall (originally Gough Coffee Tavern) and Gough Road in which it stands were named after him. He emigrated to America as a boy and visited Sandgate several times between 1853 and 1879. On Whit Monday 1879 he laid the foundation stone of the Coffee Tavern, intended chiefly for the use of soldiers visiting the village from Shorncliffe Camp.

In 1806, when Sandgate was becoming fashionable, the fourth Earl of Darnley built a sm all holiday retreat named Belle Vue and in 1822 he built a chapel of ease on a plot of land to the east of his estate; this was the first place of worship in Sandgate. On Darnley's death in 1831 the estate passed to his 4th son, Sir John Duncan Bligh, who commission-

ed the architect S.S. Teulon to design a larger house in Tudor style. In 1852 a large country house was built, and named Enbrook.

Towards the west end of Sandgate was another estate by the name of Encombe. The Encombe estate was owned by the one-time Governor of the Bank of England James Morris. He and his wife Sophia endowed Sandgate with a drinking fountain (1859), the National Schools (1866) and the James Morris dwellings (1875). The James Morris dwellings were designed by Mr. Joseph Gardner, architect of Folkestone; they were built of red brick with Bath stone dressings in the style prevalent in the reign of Queen Anne. They consisted of twenty-six tenements, situated in the High Street, and were let for very low rents. Any balance from the yearly revenue was given to Sandgate School. James Morris died in 1882.

Sandgate had long been a favourite place of residence for literary men and wamen, and several well-known authors, including Mr. H.G. Wells, have lived there.

Sandgate had its own fire station from the 1880s. A horse-drawn appliance was provided by public subscription and manned by volunteers. The engine was kept in the 'Fire Engine House', built

in 1883-1884 by Misses Reilly of Encombe.

Sandgate was governed by a local Board of Health, formed in 1850, until the establishment of the Urban District Council of nine members under the provisions of the 'Local Government Act'; 1894 the Urban District comprised the civil parishes of Sandgate and Folkestone-next-Sandgate. After 1934 Sandgate became part of the Borough of Folkestone.

It is fitting th at this year, the year of publication (1993), coincides with the centenary of the Sandgate land-slip which started at the Beach Rocks convalescent home and finished at the Military Hospital.

This volume has been compiled solely from my own personal collection of Victorian and Edwardian postcards and photographs. I have tried to select a good cross section of pictures from Sandgate Hill to Sandgate Esplanade, including a good selection of the landslip and the damage it caused and of course I have not forgotten the Sandgate Lift and Tram.

Sandgate, January 1993

A.F.Taylor.

1. An interesting bird's eye view of Sandgate from the top of the diff, at the west end of the Leas. The photograph was taken in the 1870s befare the Sandgate Lift was built. The route of the lift was through the centre of the fields, right of the picture. The track curving round in front of the white house in the foreground later becarne Radnor Cliff Crescent, whilst to the extreme right Sandgate Hili is just a sandy track. Among the trees behind St. Paul's Church can be seen Encombe House, to the right of which is Martel10 Tower No. 6.

2. This second photograph was also taken from the west end of the Leas, the date is between 1894 and 1899. It is similar to the first picture, cernpare thern and see how Sandgate has developed. On the extreme right of the picture is the track of the Sandgate Hili Lift, at the far end of which can be seen a bridge over a gap in the diff; the gap later became part of Radnor Cliff Crescent. Note the large white house in the foreground; it has had an extension built on since the previous photograph. There are also more houses on Sandgate Hili, behind which the roof and chirnneys of Enbrook House are just visible above the trees. Same arrny barracks have also been built; they can be seen on the sky ine near Martello Tower No. 6.

3. A postcard view showing the Sandgate Hill Lift. In 1890 the Sandgate Lift Company was formed with a capitalof .t:6,OOO. Much of the land required for the proposed lift belonged to Lord Radnor. An agreement to lease the ground for a period offifty years was reached on 25th March 1892. The plans for the lift were drawn by Reginald Pope under the guidance of Mr. C.E. Robinson , a civil engineer of London and Torquay. The lift was built with a total track length of 670lf2 feet and was operated by water balance. 1t finally opened on 20th February 1893.

The Lift. Sandgate.

4. A most interesting view of the Sandgate Lift showing the lower and upper lift stations. The elegant wooden cars were built by Messrs. Worthington Bros., of Hythe. During the first day of operating, the lift carried nearly five hundred passengers. For many years it was very busy transporting passengers each way and on a very busy day it would carry about three thousand people. With the advent of the motorized char-à-banc the lift was doomed and it finally closed in 1918. The company was wound up on 29th June 1924.

5. A very rare photograph taken at Upper Folkestone Road - Sandgate HilI. This beautiful Victorian house, 'Stoborough', with the walled garden was built between 1882 and 1886. Ta the left of the house is Enbrook Lodge and the entrance to Enbrook Manor. It is interesting to note Sandgate Hili is not a made-up road, just a sandy track. No. 5 Martello Tower can be seen on the sky line.

6. A later glimpse of Sandgate HilI. In the foreground is Radnor Cliff Crescent, while on Sandgate Hili there are two well loaded char-à-bancs crawling up the hili towards Folkestone. These vehic!es are the type which helped to put the Sandgate Lift out of business. Stoborough House seen in the earlier picture is on the extreme left; the large building behind it is Pelham House, behind which is Martello Tower No. 5. It is interesting to note there has been a considerable amount of development since the earlier photograph was taken.

7. Another very rare and interesting photograph, the Sandgate Tollgate, sometîmes referred to as 'Turnpike'. The gentleman on the right is the celebrated toll collector Mr. Jarvis with his wooden leg - 'hero' of a well-known local leg-pull. The tollgate was situated at the bottom ofSandgate HiIl; it had existed from befere 1780 and was abolished in 1877.

8. An interesting photograph of Upper Folkestone Hili, as it was known until 1928, when the name changed to Sandgate HilI. The road looks very peacefu! and is almost deserted, just one gentleman on horseback and a horse-arid-eart parked on the bend, a far cry from today. The weather-boarded cottages on the left were built in the 1770s by boat-builder MT. Wilson to house sorne of his workmen.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2018 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek