Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Today we call this Steyne Road, but in earlier times it was known as The Steine (with various spellings) and before that, as Le Quayside. Looking towards the sea from the roadway, it is not too difficult today to imagine one is standing at the harbour-side, with the low-lying land in front covered with tidal water. The roadway leading off to the right (with signpost) is the Causeway. The fountain seen above the group of children was erected to commemorate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee, as nearly as possible on the site of the old 'King's Weil' (see preface), but it proved to be a traffic hazard! - and was moved to the Salts Reereation Ground.

10. This very old inn is today known as the Wellington Hotel. lts former name was The New Inn, and it was the scene in pocket borough days of many , 'Lection Dinners' and other junketings. Auctions of premises and bankrupt stock also took place here, and it was a boarding-point for the post-ehaise a hundred and fifty years ago. The Duke of Wellington is believed to have stayed here in 1845, when inspecting the area for possible development as a Harbour of Refuge, hence the change of name for the inn.

11. At the west end of Steyne Road stands West House: the name may refer to the compass point or to an early occupant. It is known that the premises, once two separate properties Roehester House and West House and built in the seventeenth century on sixteenth century foundations, suffered very badly in the great flood of 1875. It was then in use as a school for young gentlemen, run by Mr. Bull. Flood-water completely filled the downstairs rooms, and its force ripped a whole mantelpieee from the wall.

12. A post in the road near West House (previous page) had special significanee in Seaford's Corporation days, Members went there in procession each year to elect a new bailiff, their choice being proclairned by the sergeantat-mace. This is William Woolgar, the last to hold the office, in uniform and carrying the tewn's silver mace. He was aged 73 in this picture, dated 1901.

13. Looking up Pelham Road, we see that the buildings on the left started out as shops with accommodation over. They were never successful so were converted to private houses or small hotels. The vacant ground in the distance beyend them is today oceupied by Chichester Court, Pelham Court, and the Ritz Cinema site. West House is in the foreground on the right, with the Bay Hotel and lts apartments beyond. Today the hotel is in the white-painted part only (corner of West Street) and called the 'Lord Admiral', At the top of the road we ean see the railway sheds and station-house.

14. Pelham Place (on the east side of Pelham Road) was one of the few terraces of boarding houses actually erected at the time when developers hoped to make Seaford a grand holiday resort, a 'second Brighton', nearly 120 years ago. On the extreme right is the mouth of West Street, with the Bay Hotel on the far side. The wall in the right foreground skirts vacant land where in 1936 the Ritz Cinema was built. For much of the time 1895-1899, the young Clementine Hozier (later to marry Winston Churchill) lived in apartments at no. 11 Pelham Place.

15. When the steamship Gannet, bringing a cargo of tea, coffee, cotton, wheat, indigo blue, hides, linseed and hom from Calcutta to London, fetched up on the beach near the Martello Tower in a gale early in 1882, the crew were saved by the roeket apparatus and brought to the Bay Hotel in Pelham Road, to recover. A young woman working there helped one of the officers to dry out the ship's papers. It happened on 14th February! (St. Valentine's Day) - and sa we should not be surprised to learn that he eventually married her and took her back to India with him.

1"'-

I-

16. A rough bridge was put up from the new sea-wall to the Gannet, and the stranded vessel unloaded (this time) in a very law-abiding way. Hopes were high of saving the entire cargo, but after a few days another gale blew up and the ship broke in two where she lay. Some forty years on, her propeller was recovered and put on show by the enterprising Mr. Tom Funnell of the Martello Tower, I am told by divers that the iron keel and other remains of the steamer may still be found on the sea-bed.

17. Seaford's Martello Tower was the most westerly in the chain of 74 erected on the south-east coast as a first line of defence against invasion from France at the beginning of the nineteenth century. The towers were designed to be 'bomb-proof' and unassailable, with thick sloping walls, a centra! pillar and few doors and windows. Set in a dry moat and built on the beach itself, Tower 74 stood despised and neglected for many years after the Napoleonic wars. An attempt was made to remove the large cannon from the gun platform, but the piece slipped and feil into the moat, carrying away with it the bridge connecting tower and roadway.

18. Mr. Tom Funnell acquired the Martello Tower in 1911, and ingeniously used an old railway coach as a bridge across the moat, making a tea-room and entrance to the rest of the building. In this picture, the original tower is to the left (with chirnney), with the sea out of sight beyend. The moat on that side was later roofed over, forming a curved roadway overlooking the beach, and Mr. Funnell built a sheltered area with 'port-hole' windows.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek