Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. This is a closer view of Mr. Funnell's entrance to the Martello Tower. He concreted the floor of the moat and, under drier circumstances, arranged many imaginative entertainments there. Among these were band concerts, fancy-dress competitions, and roller-skating sports - including a rug-of-war! At one time, sea-water baths were available at the Tower. In the distance on the right of this picture can be seen the purpose-built Seaside Convalescent Home, fully described on page 47.

20. Here we see the interior of the railway coach entrance to the MarteIlo Tower, where refreshments were served. It was advertised as 'the coolest place in Seaford for teas', and charged fivepenee (about 2p today) for a pot of tea with roll and butter. There was also a museum, the centre-piece ofwhich was a prize-winning inlaid table-top made by Mr. Funnell from 20,000 wooden fragments - 'thirteen years' work (evenings)'. Many alterations have been made to the tower since those days, but today it still stands, largely restored to its original design, and housing the Seaford Museum of Local History,

21. Other sea-front entertainment for holiday-makers included musie from the band-stand opposite West View (Pelham Road), and an occasional visit from the pierrot-show. However, the so-called 'Bill and 'Arry element' was discouraged in Seaford by its selective development companies. There was an occasion in 1894 when the estate company manager had a little troupe of pierrots forcibly removed from the beach, together with their piano. Visitors continued to be entertained by such groups, though, as this picture demonstrates.

22. Visitors' enjoyment of the sea-front, beach and sea itse1f was enhanced by boat-trips round the Bay, refreshment kiosks, and bathing machines (and later deck-chairs) for hire. Here, two members of the old Seaford family of Templeman stand by such a machine, inside which would-be bathers exchanged their concealing streetwear for bathing costumes. No fear of bare limbs being exposed to public gaze, however: the huts on wheels (with occupants) were pushed into the sea, and the bathers stepped straight into the water.

23. A boat trip round Seaford Bay, such as this one in 1913 was perhaps the highlight of a holiday by the sea, None could have been as exciting, though, as those taken by spectators on a day in September 1850. Thousands flocked to the area to see 'a company of sappers and miners' explode the face of Seaford Head. It was hoped that a natural (and comparatively cheap) breakwater would be formed by the fallen chalk, which would divert the main sea current and prevent shingle further silting up the Bay. Alas, the mound of chalk was almost all washed away by stormy seas two months later.

24. On the corner of Dane Road and the sea-front (the site now occupied by The Viking) stood this fine house, guarded by stone lions. It was built in 1860 by the Crook family and was the first house in Seaford to be lit by gas, MI. Crook having started the gasworks here. The house was called 'Telsemaure', a strange title said to have been made up from the initials of the famïly's Christian names. They were great benefactors to the poor of the town, organising soup kitchens and Sunday school treats, lending out blankets and waterproof clothing in the winter.

25. The crenellated wall between the 'castle towers' of Telsemaure was knocked over by the force of the 1913 storm. The garden is said to have been decorated with ships' cannon, anchors, capstans and figureheads. The house later became a hotel, and was finally demolished in 1937.

26. The Parish Church of St. Leonard still dominates the tewn's skyline.just as it must have done nine hundred years ago: some of the walls built then are evident today, notably the Caen stone arch at the foot of the tower facing the churchyard (hidden by the tree in this picture). The patch of sunlight across Church Street indicates the opening into West Street: the buildings on both corners are today replaced by the police station (south side) and post office (north).

27. Behind the old buildings where now we have the police station (previous page) was a group of dwellings known as Pinder Square. In 1814 Mr. Pinder acquired Millberg House, and he also came to own other property in the town, in his efforts to move into Seaford's politics which in those days were so corrupt. The whole area off Church Street (including The Crypt) was badly damaged by bombing in the Second World War.

28. lt is easy to understand how 'The Crypt' acquired this traditional name, from its churchlike interior with vaulted ceiling and centre boss, and legends abound of hidden passages to the Parish Church, of secret religious rites ... of smuggling! lt is probably the tewn's oldest building, after parts of the church, and may have been the first Town Hall. Experts have recently described it as 'the undercroft of a mediaeval merchant's house'. lt stands in the south-east corner of the car park, and was only exposed to view when the surrounding bombed buildings were cleared. At that time, it had a wooden superstructure known as 'The Folly'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek