Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. Inside the Parish Church, this ancient pillar with simple carvîngs of bible stories - perhaps eight hundred years old - is very rare, and worth studying. Adam and Eve, Daniel in the lions' den, the Nativity, the slaughter of the innocents, the baptism of Christ, and the Crucîfixion are all depicted. Because some other carvings on the south (seaward) side of the pîllar are worn away, it is believed that, after parts of the church were destroyed by French raids in the fourteenth century, it stood exposed to wind and weather for perhaps a hundred years.

30. This aerial view shows how, some 60 years ago, the town was concentrated round the Parish Church and railway station, with fields on three sides and the sea on the fourth. Stafford Road, Grove Road, Sutton Drove, Vale Road and even the main Eastbourne Road have few if any houses. On the extreme left, beyend the gasometer, trees mark the Lily Pond where 'Redcourts' (now the Elm Court Centre) would stand. The dark triangle in the centre was in 1952 cleared and consecrated as the new site for the War Memorial (previously on the corner of Dane Road and Green Lane). The Catholic Church of St. Thomas More now stands on the corner of the great cornfield (top right), surrounded by houses.

31. The railway (single-line) was extended to Seaford from Newhaven in 1864, double-tracked forty years later, and reduced to a single line again in 1975. In that time, it has catered for many thousands of visitors (including royalty), holiday-makers, boarding-school pupils (including royalty), and commuters. The yard in front of the station origina1ly had a gate at each end, the western one leading to the goods yard. It was not until Station Approach became a through-road that the gates were done away with.

32. The station had its own telegraph office with staff', who are included in this group photograph of 1911. Although by that time there was an up- and a down-platform, the old single-track, turntable days were still recalled by the rounded end wall of the railway premises - apparent to this day in the unusua1 curved buildings of the estate agents' and other offices on the corner of Station Approach.

33. This was the view in 1910 down to the Parish Church, from the junction of Clinton Place. The outfitters (bottom right) is on the corner of Dane Road. Apart from the removal of the balcony railings - which structure continued round the corner shop and on to the buildings in Clinton Place and a few modernised shopfronts, the scene is little changed today.

34. Hard by that corner shop, no. 3 Clinton Place became the offices of the Seaford Urban District Council, set up in 1894 to succeed the Board which for eleven years administered local government in place of the old Corporation (disbanded in 1883). Here on the balcony are the local dignitaries about to raise their hats as a royal proclamation is read. Note the mace-bearer and, displayed on the railing, the eagle and ship badges of the town and, between them, a replica of the Royal coat of arms, which would once have been exhibited in the Parish Church.

35. Clinton Place is also the setting for this triumphal arch made by members of the local fire brigade to celebrate the coronation in 1911 of King George V and Queen Mary. A remarkable feature of the street (once known as Terminus Road) at that time was that the trees grew in the gutters, rather than at the pavement edges.

36. In Croft Lane, near the junction with East Street (where the ornamental stone faces are still to be seen on some houses) stood the Elm Brewery. It was the scene of one of the larger fires dealt with by the tewn's brigade, only a few years after they re-formed in 1903. The Old Town Hall served as headquarters. Another major local incident was at the Empire Cinema in Sutton Raad in 1939, when a fireman lost his life.

37. The Empire Cinema, Sutton Road, was opened in 1916 and described in one of its advertisements as 'the pinnacle of kinematographic perfection'. It made the transition from silent films to the talkies, and at the time it was destroyed by fire in February 1939, also ran a Saturday morning 'Mickey Mouse Club' for children. lts last feature programme was Wallace Beery in 'Port of Seven Seas' and Michael Whelan in 'Walking down Broadway'. Seaford's first cinema had been set up in Brooklyn Road in about 1905.

38. "The Lawns' (or 'Lawn House') stood side-on to South Street, opposite the Old Town Hall. Till her death in 1889, it was the home of Mrs. Gorringe. Her garden was renowned for its aviaries of gold and silver pheasants. Later, a shop window was knocked through the end wall of the house, and the 'tin chapel' (Baptist Church) was built at the High Street end of the garden, being used for that purpose for the next eleven years.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek