Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. In 1900, a new Baptist Church was built in Broad Street (site now occupied by number 29A Boots the Chemists). Shop-fronts were added to the 'tin chapel' facing into High Street and South Street, but the basic original building exists to this day. Until comparatively recently, customers looking ceiling-wards in these shops could see the underside of the corrugated iron roof. The Baptist Church has since moved again, and is now on the corner-site of Belgrave Road and Westdown Road,

40. While the town tried to make a new kind of living by catering for visitors to this budding 'resort' , in the surrounding fields the old ways of agriculture still survived, This is Sutton Mill, photographed from the Drove side (with the Parish Church in the distance). It stood on land once known as the Two Acres, and had belonged to William Washer, a Cinque Ports jurat and leading citizen. Here occurred the tragic event which led to this entry in the Parish Church register: 24th Febry 1 773. Buried, James Son of Jas. and Eliz. Stevens killed by a sweep of Mr. washer's Windmill.

41. In 1904, the 135-year-old Sutton Mill was demolished, with the aid of French's traction engine. This machine was much in demand about the town for a variety of purposes, from driving the thresher at harvest time, to pul1ing a waggonload of children on their Sunday School outing. Houses were huilt on the old windmilliand in 1909, the locality we now knowas Milldown Road.

42. This was the boiler-house of Sutton Mill in 1908. The boundary walls still stand today, alongside twittens leading from Mill Drive to Sutton Road (middle of picture). 'Thorneliffe' and 'The Mill Dene' were two houses on the far side of that road. They were demolished in 1984 to make way for a new housing development. The name 'Sutton' oeeurs frequently at this end of town: until the beginning of the sixteenth century, there had been a separate ehureh eommunity there, but it beeame so depopulated that it was annexed into the Parish of Seaford, though its tit1e remained 'Sutton cum (with) Seaford'.

43. Sheep-farming continued as one of the main occupations outside the town till the turn of the century. Some dipping took place at Exceat, and here we see shepherds and dogs taking a well-earned rest, with their flocks safely penned. The signpost points the way to Seaford and to Eastbourne, close to the tuming for West Dean; the distant hill is Hindover, with Alfriston beyond. The old barn on the right remains today, and traces of some fencing may still be found.

44. Reuben Russell, seen here with his old sheepdog Jess, is believed to have been the last shepherd in Seaford. The roundfrock ('smock') he wears still exists today, and is a most prized exhibit in Seaford's local museum. It was made for him by his wife from strong, blue cotton fabric, cut only in straight pieces. All the shaping was made by the decorative 'smocking' stitches on shoulders and sleeves. When Reuben retired from shepherding, he became caddy master at Seaford Golf Club, and hls wife cooked and waited on at 'functions' there.

Seven Sisters Cllffs, Sesford

45. These long-ago sheep concentrate on grazing on the springy turf of Seaford Head, leaving it to mankind to enjoy the splendour of the view. The seven cliffs are named (from Cuckmere Haven on the west to Birling Gap on the east) Haven Brow, Short Brow, Rough Brow, Brass Point, Flagstaff Point, Baily's Brow and Went Hill (with Went Way). Appropriately, the first three of these names have been given to roads developed in recent years on land adjacent to the Seven Sisters Hotel in Alfriston Road.

46. This elegant building, known at different times as 'Washer's House' (see page 40), 'Augusta House' and 'Talland', stood in its own grounds on the southern corner of High Street and Saxon Lane (formerly Dark Lane). In 1860 it was purchased by a group of wealthy young Londen men who put into effect the then original idea of staffing and equipping it as a shortterm rest home for poor people just discharged from hospital. So it could claim to have been the first convalescent home in the country. After they moved on to bigger premises, the house became a nursing home, then a private residence, and was demolished in 1964, when Talland Parade shops were built.

47. The Seaside Convalescent Home, which grew from such modest beginnings at the house in the High Street, moved brief1y to Millberg House (see page 59) and thence to purpose-built premises near The Crouch. Opened there in 1870, it had to be extended in 1884, 1889 and 1902. Princes, dukes and archbishops were among those who maintained a keen interest in the patients' welfare. Troops were accommodated there during the Second World War, but thereafter the buildings feIl into disuse. One of its last guises was as 'Langham Court', a centre for the Friendship Holidays Association. In 1960 the Home was demolished, and Steyne Close & Bramber Close (the Crooked Lane Estate) built on the site.

48. Seaford's quiet, health-giving situation having been proved by the success of the Seaside Convalescent Home, two more major homes were later established here. In 1888, with an endowment of flO,OOO, building began on land to the west of the town on the Surrey Convalescent Home. During a gale on Christmas Eve that year, the 'Mary Davis' was wrecked in Seaford Bay, She was carrying Portland stone, and for i20 sufficient was bought by the builders of the Home to use on the stairs and landings. Bishops Close, Friston Close and so on are now built on the site.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek