Seaford in old picture postcards

Seaford in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Patricia Berry
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Sussex, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2949-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Seaford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

BAINBRIDGE SEAS!DE HOME.

?

' .

,-

aft

..?

"

- .... --

.~ ,:

49. The third home was established on land between Sutton Road and Steyne Road, to the east of the town. Mr. Emerson Bainbridge in 1901 purchased the pavilion contributed by Switzer1and to the Paris Exhibition of the previous year. It was dismantled, brought to Seaford, and re-built 'for the temporary reception of pOOI girls from the large towns', It continued to serve the same sort of purpose right up to its demolition in 1966 - by 1934 it was run by the YWCA (Young Women's Christian Association). Bainbridge Close now stands on this site.

50. During the First World War, a sea-plane base was established at Tidemills, and these are members of the Royal Air Force squadron who took part in a revue in 1918, staged in a hangar. Ncwhaven breakwater is visible through the open doors behind them. Tidemills operated in the Buckle area of the Bay from about 1765 to 1893, developed by Williarn Catt during the Napoleonic Wars but declining with the coming of the railways and the stearn age. The last of the Mill buildings were demolished at the start of the Second World War.

51. The child in the centre of the picture is climbing the path which used to lead to the row of Coastguards' cottages built at right angles to the coast raod, the site of today's Buckle Close and Buckle Rise. In earlier times, the tea hut had been the coastguards' beat-house. Little else has changed in this view westwards, but notice how much the face of Seaford Head has eroded, since 1928.

52. The coast road by the old Buckle Inn (which stood nearer the sea, immediately in front of today's building) was often impassable in stormy weather. Before the by-pass road was driven through Hawth Hili, the alternative route to Seaford from the west was via Grand Avenue and Firle Road. When the landlord of the Buckle thought conditions were bad enough, he could switch on a warning sign at the roadside near Hili Rise, and traffic was diverted.

RECREATION GROUND. SEAFO~D.

53. The Salts Recreation Ground was laid out in 1923 on land which, prior to the building of the sea-wall there in 1898, had often been flooded by high tides. Till the fifteenth/sixteenth century, it had been part of the riverbed when the Ouse flowed to the foot of Seaford Head. At times it was used as grazing land, for it is said that when in 1872 a ship was wrecked on the beach nearby, her cargo included casks of lamp-black 'which burst and blackened a flock of sheep'.

54. In 1920, this shark weighing 3 cwt. (152,406 kg) and measuring 8 feet long (2,438 m.) was caught off Seaford Bay by a loeal fisherman living in Chatham Place. Now, as then, mackerel, bass, plaice and whiting are caught and sold locally, with cod the additional variety that would have surprised the fishermen of sixty-five years ago - the sea nowadays is much colder!

55. A gale in February 1899 drove the Danish iron barque 'Peruvian' onto the shore opposite the Esplanade Hotel (page 2). All but one of the crew were rescued, and the captain's dog. Three days later, another gale broke up the vessel, whose cargo was vegetabie ivory for button-making. Long afterwards, the 'Peruvian nuts' (like large Brazil nuts) couid be found on the beach. They were made into souvenir bottle-pourers, thimble-cases, and so on, or decorated with pictures of the ship; some are now in the possession of the Iocal museum.

56. ChaJk dug from the cliffs was used to build the Causeway and other raised roads crossing the old river bed area, from the sea-front to Steyne Raad. It was intended that terraces of holiday boardinghouses should stand along these roads.

57. Splash Point Hotel (1909-left) was said to have developed from a house built there by a doctor for his invalid son. At one time the word 'Hotel' was spelled out on the grass bank in white stones, onee the markers for the path from the top of Seaford Head. By 1960/61, the lower cliffs had eroded so much that the public footpath was unsafe. The hotel was closed and later demolished, and now only the 'fortress walls' remain to intrigue visitors.

58. In March 1907 the s.s. 'Newstead' ran aground in dense fog under the cliffs near a gap known locally as Puck Church. She had a cargo of 5,000 bags of barley, out of Capetown for Hamburg. Her captain and crew of 29 were all taken off by the roeket apparatus. She was floated off ten days later, towed to Newhaven for makeshift repairs, eventually overhauled at Southampton and returned to service.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2020 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek